Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Repairing minor car dents?

Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:18 pm

Does anybody know a cheap and relatively fool-proof method of removing minor dents from car doors? I have a minor dent in my new 2006 Civic and wouldn't mind fixing it if the remedy is fairly easy or cheap. However, like I said, the dent is quite minor so I am not interested in pursuing a time-intensive repair procedure.

Alternatively, does anybody have an idea how much it would cost to repair the ding at a body shop or dealer? I am not serious about paying to have it fixed, but I am simply curious.

Picture attached: [the circumference of welt is about the size of a quarter)

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:34 pm

At some point all car owners realize that keeping the body pristine is not worth the time or effort, especially for a commodity car like a Civic (nothing personal, I've owned one).

Dents like that are usually pulled out with suction cups. The other way is to pop out one of the drain plugs in the door and feel around inside with what's essentially a tiny ball-peen hammer to find the dent, then gently tap it back out from inside the door. The technique is called Paintless Dent Repair.

Me, I'd just accept the dent and move on. I've got a friend who buys a new pickup every 10 years or so. First thing he does is kicks a fender. Says it lets him drive in the woods without worrying about dents.

[/non-mod]
Death is a side effect of birth.

osiris
Gerbil

Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:51 pm

If you can remove the interior door shell you should be able to reach inside the door and pop it out. You may be able to do this by simply using your hand. If not, use a metal spatula and a two- by -four. With the right amount of force and leverage the dent should pop out. A Door Spoon is the proper tool to use in this situation but most people dont have one just lying around. Small dents(less than 2 inches) are sometimes harder to remove than larger more gradual dents with this method. If a body shop did this for you they could probably have it done in an hour or less for ~ $60. However, if it's one of those stubborn dents in a bad location that requires filler and spot blending of paint it could run as high as $350-$400. I use to work in a autobody shop for about 6 years in case you were wondering if I was just pulling this all out of my ass. Best of luck to you.

osiris
Gerbil

Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:05 am

Captain Ned's post wasn't up when I started typing( I'm a sloooowww typer)
I agree that sometimes you just have to learn to live with those little dents. If suction cups dont do the trick, stick with something flat to push it out from the inside. A small ball peen hammer may get the dent out but it may also leave a visible welt or a crease. Depends on the thickness of the metal. I'm not real savvy with cars less tha 15 years old.

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:51 am

look up paintless dent repair, it's relatively inexpensive and works well, we have a guy come to the dealership about once a week to take dents out of cars, it's not as good as if you had a body shop do it, but you also don't have paint work to deal with.
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:06 am

Captain Ned wrote:
At some point all car owners realize that keeping the body pristine is not worth the time or effort, especially for a commodity car like a Civic (nothing personal, I've owned one).

I tried to make it clear that I wasn't interested in pursuing a remedy that was complicated, time consuming, or expensive. I guess you didn't get that or were simply preaching to the choir? Either way the car isn't even 8 months old and I already pretty much realize that it's just a Civic. Thanks for the other tips.

I am going to get a $7 suction cup and try it out. If that doesn't fix the dent then I am not going to bother with anything else.

The funny thing is, the only other imperfection on my car happened earlier in the year when I hit a runaway wheel cover at 65mph down the freeway. Pretty nice sized gash in the middle of my front bumper thingy. This didn't bother me at all because I recognized that it was the "natural" result of driving and therefore the price of doing business.

On the other hand, the newest dent on my car door is obviously the result of either a malicious or downright sloppy/ignorant/careless person who slammed his car door into mine. Seeing the dent reminds me that most members of the human race are all jerks to strangers and have little concern for other people's property. That just bothers me, I don't consider it the price of business, and if I can fix the dent for $7 to solve my humanist issues, so be it.

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:08 am

jss21382 wrote:
look up paintless dent repair, it's relatively inexpensive and works well, we have a guy come to the dealership about once a week to take dents out of cars, it's not as good as if you had a body shop do it, but you also don't have paint work to deal with.

Yeah, thanks! I might buy a kit to do what you describe that comes with a cheap suction cup for about $7-$10. We'll see. If not, oh well. How ever am I going to get chicks now? Oh, wait, it was a Civic to begin with.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:21 am

Spyder22446688 wrote:
I tried to make it clear that I wasn't interested in pursuing a remedy that was complicated, time consuming, or expensive. I guess you didn't get that or were simply preaching to the choir? Either way the car isn't even 8 months old and I already pretty much realize that it's just a Civic. Thanks for the other tips.

I really didn't mean to offend. It's just that my long history with cars has taught me that obsessing over every parking lot ding is, in the long run, unhealthy.

Do I wish that soccer moms in their SUVs would have the common decency to leave a note under the wiper when they stove in my door at Hannaford? Damn right I wish that. I also realize that it'll never happen. I was angry for my first 2 or 3 new cars; after seeing how little the average collection of parking lot dings hurt me at trade time (it's a universal epidemic and one impossible to avoid), I moved on to acceptance. That's the tone I was trying to convey; I apologize if I did not achieve my goal.

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:25 am

Captain Ned wrote:
That's the tone I was trying to convey; I apologize if I did not achieve my goal.

No no, you were totally clear. I was not offended. When I started this thread, I tried to convey an attitude of "meh" because I knew that the serious gearheads were going to roll their eyes when they saw how small the ding was. I tried to ward off comments to that effect by making it perfectly clear that I have no intention of investing any serious time, money, or effort in fixing the dent. And even if your comments were obvious, I agree completely with everything you said.

Right now, I am going to try the super-strong suction cups that hold up the shower caddy in my bathroom. If that doesn't work, oh well I guess.

"If it was my car, it would have been worth him doing it just so that i could catch him." - Pulp Fiction

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:55 am

Good luck on getting the dent out. With owning Rivieras, seeing a dent drives me insane. I always follow some rules though. park in the back and take up 2 parking places(not legal but the cops don't give a rats ass as long as it's in the back), Have a REALLY loud car alarm that's REALLY sensitive(this makes peoples face light up red when they set it off), Have good insurance.

The first time I had to take one of m Rivieras to the body shop for dent work I nearly **** my pants when I saw the price.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:10 am

Car alarms? I thought the only use for those was to find your car in the Wally-World parking lot.

[/non-mod]

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:34 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Car alarms? I thought the only use for those was to find your car in the Wally-World parking lot.

[/non-mod]

lol Well when some one knicks your car and the alarm goes off they get pretty red faced when nearly 30 people in the arking lot turn and stare at em.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:35 am

One other way i have see small dents like that popped out is with hot water and dry ice. basically what you do is get a tea kettle and get the water up to a rapid boil. When it is you take and pour the hot water over the dent and get it really hot. The more water you use the better. When its good and hot you take a hunk of dry ice and put on the dent. the steel cools and shrinks so fast that it will pop the dent out sometimes.

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:05 pm

Hance wrote:
One other way i have see small dents like that popped out is with hot water and dry ice. basically what you do is get a tea kettle and get the water up to a rapid boil. When it is you take and pour the hot water over the dent and get it really hot. The more water you use the better. When its good and hot you take a hunk of dry ice and put on the dent. the steel cools and shrinks so fast that it will pop the dent out sometimes.

Wow, that is cool and worth trying simply for the science of it!

VaTech Hokie
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:31 pm

Hance that is a sweet idea...I have got to try that (goes to find a dent in friends car...or put one in friends car if one cannot be found...)

And Captain Ned...the part about kicking in a fender of a new vehicle Priceless.
Always Proud to be Hokie

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:52 pm

VaTech Hokie wrote:
And Captain Ned...the part about kicking in a fender of a new vehicle Priceless.

And following that same logic, when I get a new girlfriend I insist that she sleep with my best friend just so I don't have to worry about it in the future. :roll: :D

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:01 pm

Spyder22446688 wrote:
VaTech Hokie wrote:

And following that same logic, when I get a new girlfriend I insist that she sleep with my best friend just so I don't have to worry about it in the future. :roll: :D

Damn..you sure you aint a logger :lol:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

VaTech Hokie
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:19 pm

lol this thread is headed into hilarious territory :lol:
Always Proud to be Hokie

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:08 pm

Well heck, next time Captain Ned's friend gets a new truck, we can kill two birds with one stone by having Ned's friend bang my girlfriend in his new truck. I'll be sure to tell her to kick the fender with her high heels when she gets out.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:09 pm

See Siggy :lol:

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:43 pm

Philldoe wrote:
See Siggy :lol:

Haha. Looks good.