Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Da_Boss
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

So I just upgraded to Vista x64....

Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:22 pm

... And I felt I'd share my first impressions of the OS.

Firstly, the installation went a lot faster than I expected it would. I remember waiting up to a half hour for XP and expected this installation to be the same, if not longer. This wasn't the case. It took a bit over 20 minutes to get to the GUI for the first time. Speaking of the GUI, the new Aero interface is lovely to look at. It's a heap more modern and visually appealing then the old XP interface. If there were anything to complain about It would be the gadgets at the side. Personally, I'm not a big fan of them. So, I got rid of them. Aside from that, all the little things they add in to make the OS more intuitive seem to work OK. I didn't have any trouble finding my way around to all the little settings to customize the OS to my liking.

When It comes to the stability of the system, It was much more stable than whiners on forums led me to believe. I haven't seen a single crash yet. Overall, the system seemed very sure of itself as I swerved in and out of menus. When It came to software compatibility, most of my programs works flawlessly. Only a handful needed an update to work with Vista, and that was mostly because I went for the 64-bit instead of 32-bit. All of my hardware fell right into place with a quick search for the right drivers, I didn't even need to restart for most of them.

Being a gamer first, I needed to test gaming in a Vista environment. So, I installed and fired up FEAR and Guild Wars and got started. FEAR went off without a hitch. I felt no difference at all between FEAR under XP or Vista. Guild Wars seemed to Lag a bit, but that could be my internet connection. The game itself didn't show signs of corruption or artifacting. There wasn't any sluggishness either.

Overall, my first day with Vista hasn't been too exciting. It simply consisted of re-installing programs, testing, and all kinds of random mess-around. The point is that Vista is much better then I expected after hearing all the negative feedback it gets. I can now conclude that Vista is stable, fast, pretty, every bit as functional as XP and is certainly a worthy successor. If people just stop thinking of Vista as "the OS that changes the world" and start thinking of it as "the next logical step forward", they'll start to appreciate the little things it does a little better.

Any thoughts?
2011 15" MacBook Pro Ci7 2GHz, 8GB DDR3-1066, Intel 510 256GB SSD

amphibem
Gerbil Elite

Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:46 pm

Nah i think its way more fun to make baseless remarks about an OS that one has little experience with or knowledge of.
Phenom II X4 955 BE - 3GB RAM - AMD HD5770 - 640GB WD - Viewsonic 19" - DVDRW - Windows 7

Da_Boss
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:34 am

Nah i think its way more fun to make baseless remarks about an OS that one has little experience with or knowledge of.

Me too. I guess it's much easier to hate it.

Skids
Gerbil First Class

Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:51 am

Just my 2 cents, I ran Vista64 two weeks ago... seemed sluggish in GRAW2, among others and I didnt really see any gain in it (yet) maybe it just needs time I guess... (not trying to rain on your parade, glad it worked out better for you)
Q6600 2.4Ghz / P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP
eVGA 8800GTS / 2407 Dell Monitor /
2GB Crucial Ballistix
1x150GB Raptor / 2x500GB

Dyn0mutt
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:35 am

well I have been running Vista x64 for a few months now and at first has several problems regarding hardware compatibility, genuine checks, activation, driver crashes, problems with some games and stuff just generally not working properly resulting In several reinstallations. I persisted though through no choice of my own as I conveinintly misplaced my XP Setup CD and therefore could not go back, yes you can laugh I did the stupid thing and just wiped out XP altogether and installed Vista hoping all would be fine as my experience with the Beta builds was good and I felt confident it would be fine, anyway i'm glad now as if I had found my XP CD I would not have persisted with Vista, seems to me like MS has done some good with updates as I have been running with no problems for a while now. I actually like vista and like you says its an evolutionary step and not the be all and end all of OS's, looking forward to SP1 as it appears the leaked copy is floating around of the wibble and peoples impressions of seems mostly positive so far.

anyway just thought I would share my thoughts and experiences also
DynoRig: Antec 900, Crosshair IV Formula, Phenom II X4 B60, 2gb KVR 1333Mhz, Radeon HD 5770 Vapor-X
64Gb Kingston SSD Now V, 400Gb Hitatchi Deskstar, Hauppage HVR1100 DVBT TV tuner, Broadcom Wireless, OCZ StealthXtreme 600w, Win7 x64

Fastidious
Gerbil

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:55 pm

Been using Vista 64 Premium for a week or two now. Except for a non 64 bit driver issue it's been good. Everything else has worked flawless.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:36 pm

I've been using Vista x64 off and on for months. The recent patchpacks (SP0.1?) got rid of some of the bigger show-stoppers, but there are still a lot of niggling little bugs making me consider re-loading my XP Pro image. Particularly, the constant loss of saved folder views is a massive PITA. For most folders it's not a big deal. I like the default big-icon view, and loved the default My Computer view, with the usage bars. Unfortunately, it changed itself and I can't get back to the completely stock My Computer layout.

Much more distressing: Daemon Tools Pro is not remounting my images over a reboot, the DT guys claim there's an underlying MS bug breaking it.

Most critical: The changing folder views are screwing with my pr0n and software collecting. I have a specific directory on a dedicated disk that holds all my Usenet leeching. I leave that one in detailed view, sorted by modified date. This keeps my newest stuff at the bottom, where I want it. Makes cleaning house very easy, just start deleting at the top. Now it keeps resetting to an alphabetical order sort, and it's really pissing me off.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Da_Boss
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:50 pm

Just my 2 cents, I ran Vista64 two weeks ago... seemed sluggish in GRAW2, among others and I didnt really see any gain in it (yet) maybe it just needs time I guess... (not trying to rain on your parade, glad it worked out better for you)

Sorry to hear it, I'll hafta give GRAW a try later and see if i can duplicate it. I also just noticed that the views don't save; I see how that can get pretty annoying over time. I'm sure a fix will come soon though.

Anyone else have experiences, tips, compatability issues or anything with vista64 that wanna share?

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:54 pm

Da_Boss wrote:
Me too. I guess it's much easier to hate it.

whether it's vista, sony, apple or whatever, I've found that most of the haters out there don't even have the product they're moaning about.

gotta love teh intarweb . . .

seeker010
Gerbil First Class

Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:04 pm

they gutted Explorer and made the command prompt about as useful as a poop flavored lollipop. I can't even drag and drop between the two anymore. I have to manually press F8 every boot just so I can use remixed drivers, or beta software that uses unsigned drivers.

Vista deserves every knock people have against it.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:09 pm

seeker010 wrote:
they gutted Explorer and made the command prompt about as useful as a poop flavored lollipop. I can't even drag and drop between the two anymore. I have to manually press F8 every boot just so I can use remixed drivers, or beta software that uses unsigned drivers.

Most people, dare I say, could care less about those- and while Microsoft should be held accountable for their mistakes with Vista, and they are by Vista's slow adoption rate, Vista itself is quite a robust and functional operating system. Heck, we could be running Mac OS and be running all of our old apps in emulation instead! Be very aware that with the task that Microsoft has had with keeping compatability across so much hardware and software, that they have done a pretty outstanding job. Far from perfect to be sure, but perfect just doesn't exist.

amphibem
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:16 pm

seeker010 wrote:

Are you talking about Internet Explorer or Explorer for viewing folders? Coz I can still see whats in my folders, organise them how I want and navigate around in various way. Can you elaborate on 'gutted'?

Personally I don't use Command Prompt much so can't say much there. Could still do what was necessary while trying to get a working EPG in VMC though.

In the end it's about what works for you. I have a simple mind and am entertained by pretty colours and see-through windows (well not really but I still think Vista looks cool), plus I really like Media Center, the interface is really attractive and well layed out. Not to mention the instant search makes loading any program so much quicker, just start typing in the name and load the link when in pops up in a couple of seconds. I do keep a dual-boot of XP for the software that Vista doesn't support: Nero 6 (cheapskate's want me to pay to upgrade when I am sure they could make this version work in Vista) and Solidworks (same story) but it doesn' get much use.

Edit: Spelling, sense
Phenom II X4 955 BE - 3GB RAM - AMD HD5770 - 640GB WD - Viewsonic 19" - DVDRW - Windows 7

seeker010
Gerbil First Class

Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:23 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
seeker010 wrote:

Most people, dare I say, could care less about those- and while Microsoft should be held accountable for their mistakes with Vista, and they are by Vista's slow adoption rate, Vista itself is quite a robust and functional operating system. Heck, we could be running Mac OS and be running all of our old apps in emulation instead! Be very aware that with the task that Microsoft has had with keeping compatability across so much hardware and software, that they have done a pretty outstanding job. Far from perfect to be sure, but perfect just doesn't exist.

well robust and functional remains in the eye of the beholder. I find it dysfunctional and hardly robust. The switch from 98->XP didn't really change the way I do things; it even made some things better. The same cannot be said for XP->Vista. I'm not a detractor who believes MS can do no good; but this is the only transition of a MS OS (if you count Win 2.11-3.11 as OSes) where it felt like I had to settle for workarounds for my common tasks instead of doing it the way I feel most comfortable with.

amphibem wrote:
seeker010 wrote:

Are you talking about Internet Explorer or Explorer for viewing folders? Coz I can still see whats in my folders, organise them how I want and navigate around in various way. Can you elaborate on 'gutted'?

Explorer of course. I always use the detail view, and for some reason MS feels it knows what columns should be displayed, and every time I change it, it decides that it can only store settings for a few folders, so the ones that I changed longer back revert to the default columns.

amphibem wrote:
Personally I don't use Command Prompt much so can't say much there. Could still do what was necessary while trying to get a working EPG in VMC though.

In the end it's about what works for you. I have a simple mind and am entertained by pretty colours and see-through windows (well not really but I still think Vista looks cool), plus I really like Media Center, the interface is really attractive and well layed out. Not to mention the instant search makes loading any program so much quicker, just start typing in the name and load the link when in pops up in a couple of seconds. I do keep a dual-boot of XP for the software that Vista doesn't support: Nero 6 (cheapskate's want me to pay to upgrade when I am sure they could make this version work in Vista) and Solidworks (same story) but it doesn' get much use.

Edit: Spelling, sense

Of course a good interface is a good thing; if Vista kept the XP way of doing things, and added the slick interface, I wouldn't hesitate to jump on the bandwagon; but for me it's the inner workings that are more important. Not being able to power down certain devices to lower power states? forced signing of drivers? making me jump through hoops to access my files the way I want to? that to me is much more important that how slick an interface looks.

That said, I do use Vista on a dual boot; I find it to be more responsive than XP with multitasking, so it's not all bad. But the bad outweighs the good for me usually, so I boot to XP more often.

Jon
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:05 pm

Forge wrote:
Particularly, the constant loss of saved folder views is a massive PITA. For most folders it's not a big deal. I like the default big-icon view, and loved the default My Computer view, with the usage bars. Unfortunately, it changed itself and I can't get back to the completely stock My Computer layout.

I'm having exactly the same issue, I can set Explorer to have the right columns depending on the content of a particular folder such as Music or Videos or just plain data and everything is good for about a day until I notice that settings have become twisted and suddenly there's columns visible which I never even setup in the first place. I reckon it's a bug though, I got XP's Explorer to have the perfect view settings, eg, each column had the correct width to my preferences and this would be GLOBAL across all files or folders except for folders with images in them, those would show thumbnails. But for some reason the Vista Explorer doesn't seem to save my column or view settings. I agree with you Forge, it's HELLUVA annoying. I efficiently navigate the file system based on my customizations but when the OS decides to go and re-configure how folders are displayed (eg suddenly I got these giant icons instead of a detailed display) then it really throws you off.

Not related to OP but figure it was worth the mention.
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-

indeego
Gerbil First Class

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:57 am

I think the point many of us are making is Vista with these two latest fixes finally, to me, seems ready.

So It's august 2007, and Vista was released.

Anytime before that, and you were dealing with really strange hibernation/suspend issues and file copy estimations.

But yeah, August 2007, 9 months or so after release, vista is "released"

_Shorty
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:09 am

no problems with Vista Ultimate x64 here, so far. I'm lovin' 4GB of RAM. Makes video and audio editing much nicer to deal with. Games seem to be a lot smoother with it, too, even compared to 2GB. The games themselves never used much more than 1GB for their own data anyway, but you get a lot more files staying in the disk cache, for example. Less pagefile activity. I imagine SuperFetch is bit more effecient with all that RAM to take advantage of, too. Until a couple weeks ago I'd been using 32-bit Ultimate with 2GB of RAM, since it went RTM. I'm liking 64-bit so far, for sure. 4GB was so cheap right now, I couldn't resist, and naturally that meant I'd have to install the 64-bit version to use it all, so that's what I did. No complaints yet!

clearmysix
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:33 am

I stuck with Vista x64 for over three months. In the end there were a number of problems that I could not solve.

I decided to upgrade to vista x64 in March. The first problem I ran into was artifacting with my EVGA 7900GT KO. Here is a link to the problem. http://www.diskusjon.no/index.php?showtopic=718291 Sorry it is in German, but it has a picture of the exact issue. I RMAed the card and the 7950GT they sent me seemed to solve the problem. I did not have this issue under XP.

Most games worked flawlessly. Especially steam games like HL2, Counter-strike source and DOD:S. Fear was good too, along with C&C3.

That was until I wanted to play Battlefield 2. With all of the latest patches and drivers I could not play more than 30 minutes without it either restarting my computer or crashing to the desktop. I researched the problem for over a month without being able to resolve the issue.
I tried such things as:
Setting Processor Affinity
Large memory address mod of the bf2.exe
loosening timings on my ram
trying a SLI certified enermax ps
and a bunch of others that I cannot recall at the moment.

I also noticed the game was much more choppy in vista than under XP.

Another annoyance was the extremely long boot times. I can boot into XP in way less than a minute. Vista would take anywhere from 2-5 minutes to boot. All of the forums I explored could not explain this, nor could they give a decent way to solve the problem. I checked around with the system event viewer without gaining much information. To be fair, upon first install the computer would boot in just over a minute. Later, the only programs that were running at startup (other than standard system services) were Avast, the vista sidebar, and 2 mounted ISO drive images from Alcohol 120. Maybe it was alcohol? Or maybe a driver? Disabling it wouldn't help though. But I enjoy not inserting a game cd when I want to play. Id rather mount the image.

Consequently, I am back to XP and happily playing BF2 on high full at 1920x1200 for hours without a problem. I really enjoyed the vista look, but I am going to wait a little longer before giving it another go.
AMD FX-60
Abit AN8-SLI 939
EVGA 7950GT 256
2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS3200C2
Audigy 2 Platinum
Vista Home Premium x64 --> XP 32

_Shorty
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:03 am

So, what's wrong with using Daemon Tools instead of Alcohol?

gratuitous
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:16 am

Last edited by gratuitous on Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_Shorty
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:33 am

No file restrictions here. And, yes, 32-bit apps/games work.

gratuitous
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:39 am

Last edited by gratuitous on Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_Shorty
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:06 am

Yup. 16-bit code won't run, though. Mainly, that's just pretty old installers.

Vexille
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:58 am

My experience with Windows Vista Ultimate x64 has also been positive. I have had very few issues with software incompatibility aside from some firewall software that's out there. As far as gaming goes, paired with a Radeon HD 2900 XT, it's been nearly flawless. As a matter of fact, I recently formatted and installed Windows XP SP2 again just to test out the difference in gaming performance and found that overall, games I play are more fluid with Vista.

As far as overall stability goes...my system is as stable if not more stable than it was with Windows XP SP2. It stays up 24/7. I can't remember the last time it locked-up or "crashed". If I had to give a rating to my overall experience with Windows Vista X64...it would be a 9/10. Losing one point due to the lack of overall innovation in terms of evolving the Windows OS.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:42 am

gratuitous wrote:
So it's only device drivers that have to be 64 bit?

_Shorty wrote:
Yup. 16-bit code won't run, though. Mainly, that's just pretty old installers.

Another problem could be games installing drivers which don't work in 64-bit, such as the anti-copy or anti-cheat stuff. If they don't update those as a patch then you are pretty much SOL.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Nuclear
Gerbil

Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:53 am

I've been running vista x64 since nvidia got x64 non beta drivers for the 8800 (about march)
The only app i've had problem was clonecd since it didn't use signed drivers

graw2 is working fine on my computer, everything maxed out except AA at 1920x1200 res (that was with 2g of ram, now i switched to 4g)

The problem with the folder viewing and also the my computer window not keeping a resize after closing it was solved for me about 1-2month ago via a patch

Also, i really recommend having 4g of ram for x64 if you run bittorent. I was having big slowdown problems because of the file system cache not limited to 512 (or 1024 if you set large system cache). The os would page out many software and service to make space for the file cache.

Also, the list of printer driver is considerably lower than the 32bit version

Magnus
Gerbil XP

Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:05 am

When i did Vista64, i created a new partition and dual booted between that and xp. In the 6 months that i have had it installed, i have booted to xp once. And that was for an old video capture device doing something that I have not done since.
To me Vista64 is a perfectly fine OS. Not perfect, but certainly on par with xp. When i read comments of people who slam Vista, I think they they might have a valid complaint...but I also think that some of the loudest adversaries of Vista dont seem to have ever used the damn thing.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:25 am

I would say that the last two patches released and the one that Anandtech recently mentioned are going a long way towards making Vista a properly usable operating system.

Although I hate the new security systems, and the fact that the OS is twice the size of the old one. Vista SP1 looks to be quite usable with 90% of the problems fixed. Of course it would have been nice to have had everything that SP1 fixes in the original version of Vista when they released it.

I look forward to Vista sp1. Since we are a part of MSDN I'm sure I'll get a chance to play around with beta's soon.

Aran
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Master Kenobi
Gerbil First Class

x64 Ultimate

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:16 am

I've been using Vista Ultimate x64 since launch day (Kudos to Microsoft for the free copy) and it's been running great. Short of a bumpy January when the ATI drivers weren't that great at handling 2 monitors and OpenGL based games everything has worked without a hitch, well mostly.

Can't play old 16bit games anymore, had to use a Virtual PC 2007 installation of Win2000 to play my old SW: Rebellion, but that was expected.

Vista 64 was a necessity for me because I've had 4GB of ram in my system since October 2006 before Vista and that extra Dimm was mostly unused due to the XP 32-bit limitation on Memory addressing.

Combined with Office 2007 Professional, Vista Ultimate x64 is a slick OS and I've got no complaints... Well ok, one complaint. The Vista firewall is overly aggressive sometimes, but it's a firewall and I'm ok with that.

l33t-g4m3r
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:53 am

I agree with seeker, vista's UI sucks big time. not to mention all the other quirks, and having a nvidia mainboard.

I got vista 64 free when I got XP-64, after trying it, that's all it's worth to me. (Free.)
I wouldn't pay money for it.

64-bit windows is better, stable, and smoother running than 32-bit windows, but all vista versions are worthless garbage.
It would have to be after SP1 or even 2 before I'll give it another go.

There is no need for me to use vista yet, and I still don't have a dx10 card (don't need it either), so I'll be using XP64 until then.

I might even be dual booting linux by the time Vista's ready. :lol:
Last edited by l33t-g4m3r on Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:58 am

Could you be a little more specific with what you didn't like about it? Just saying it is crap without any justification doesn't really make it sound like more than just an off-the-cuff response.