Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Sargent Duck
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Vista issues with cool 'n quite and not seeing harddrives

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:20 pm

So I just installed a Vista Home Premium last night, and I've run into 2 hardware problems.

The first is that Vista doesn't pick up my second hdd, but yet it does. If I go into my computer, I picks up my 3 partitions of my 300GB Seagate drive (C, D, and E), but not my 250GB Samsung Spin point drive. However, if I go into device manager, it shows both hard drives. So, Vista knows it's there, but I can't access it.

Help?

The second issue I have is with cool 'n quite. I have an Opteron 170, oc'd to 2.7. Under Win XP, cool 'n quite worked fine with my overclock, no issues. Now, under Vista, cool 'n quite does not work. I made no changes in the bios, so it's still running at 2.7ghz, with c 'n q enabled, but vista is not working. I have a MSI K8N Diamond Plus, and I've got the latest BIOS in there (1.2). I had the power scheme set to "balanced", still nutin. Any idea's/suggestions?

Cheerio!
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:22 pm

Go to the computer management and then disk management (Or start->run->"diskmgmt.msc"). What does it show in there for the hdd?

amphibem
Gerbil Elite

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:25 pm

I don't know about the hard drive issue, bu to make cool n' quiet work you have to make sure, under Power Options/Change plan settings/change advanced poer settings/processor power management, the minumum spped of the processor is set to 5% or some other low value.
Phenom II X4 955 BE - 3GB RAM - AMD HD5770 - 640GB WD - Viewsonic 19" - DVDRW - Windows 7

Sargent Duck
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:10 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Go to the computer management and then disk management (Or start->run->"diskmgmt.msc"). What does it show in there for the hdd?

There's what I see. Apparently, my hard drive is off line.

As for the power options, I don't see a processor power management feature
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

amphibem
Gerbil Elite

Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:46 pm

Hmm I have an option near the top of the window to "Change settings that are currently unavaliable."

Are you logged in as admin?
Phenom II X4 955 BE - 3GB RAM - AMD HD5770 - 640GB WD - Viewsonic 19" - DVDRW - Windows 7

Sargent Duck
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:57 pm

yep, I'm admin. I only have one account on here (mine), so I had set that to admin when I installed.

amphibem
Gerbil Elite

Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:03 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
yep, I'm admin. I only have one account on here (mine), so I had set that to admin when I installed.

Well I don't know what to do then sorry. Maybe someone else will know how to get those options.

Sargent Duck
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:06 pm

Thanks for trying

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:20 pm

That's weird that you don't have it. Hmm.
That's weird that you don't have the "change settings that are currently unavailable" option. You didn't do anything stupid like disable UAC by any chance, did you?

You're not the only one though. (see the comments)

Sargent Duck
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:33 pm

Heh, thanks for the article. Yeah, I did disable UAC. That was just getting annoying. But in the end, I switched back to XP Pro. Vista not playing detecting my 2nd hdd or Cool 'n Quite was annoying, but I was determined to make it work. Then I went to go download the drivers for my TV tuner card (ATI TV Tuner 200), and lol and behold, no drivers for it. That was the straw that broke the camels back. Was up and running in XP in no time, with no hassles.

I'll try again with Vista when I get a new processor/mb.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:38 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
Heh, thanks for the article. Yeah, I did disable UAC. That was just getting annoying. But in the end, I switched back to XP Pro. Vista not playing detecting my 2nd hdd or Cool 'n Quite was annoying, but I was determined to make it work. Then I went to go download the drivers for my TV tuner card (ATI TV Tuner 200), and lol and behold, no drivers for it. That was the straw that broke the camels back. Was up and running in XP in no time, with no hassles.

I'll try again with Vista when I get a new processor/mb.

You didn't check the state of drivers before switching. :lol:
Oh well. Maybe it'll work better for your situation next time you give it a chance.