Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Alex
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Wisdom Teeth "Extraction"

Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:01 am

Well, in the morning @ 9:00 am, I have the first wave of my wisdom teeth pulled... Oh what a joy the next day will bring... :evil: :roll:
Twitter: @xmunos

Satchmo
Gerbil First Class

Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:08 am

Ugh, let us know how it goes. I've got to get mine out in May. I'm not real excited about it either.

yarbo
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:23 am

no matter what they say, go with the nitrous over the local anesthetic.
<a href=http://www.gentoo.org>Gentoo GNU/Linux</a>

Ragnar Dan
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:53 am

Mine came in (well, 3 of them, anyway). I barely noticed. No big deal.

But, maybe I should've had them removed just so I don't have so much extra work with brushing. 8)

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:35 am

I know everyone in this thread will hate me now....

But I hafta!!

I've got no wisdom teeth. No stubs, not even the hollows in the jaw where you're supposed to get them. The dentist says that in a few dozen generations, everyone will be like me (teeth-wise, anyways).

If only you'd been born later, eh?

At least now you've got your spares, for if you lose some. :)

Mamado
Gerbil

Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:40 am

Are we supposed to have them removed?

I have had mine for like 4 years now.

Dissonance
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:51 am

Go for local, it makes the whole process more interesting ;) There's nothing like watching them yank out your bloody teeth with pliers. Mmmm.

I only went with the local because I didn't want to be braindead the evening after having them removed (had a midterm to study for or something), but even the local isn't a big deal unless you freak out at the sight of blood. You don't feel anything more than a gentle tugging, though they needed twice the normal amount of juice to freeze my jaw properly, so semi-frozen needling felt kinda weird.

The real hassle was not being able to chew properly for a few days afterwards.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:55 am

If you can have something over the local anesthetic, preferably something that makes you drowsy. depends if its a normal pull or as it was for me, a surgury job(mine had just started to peek though so).
Lower jaw, pointed forwards, under the flesh.

I just hope the second one in the lower jaw dont have to be pulled, the two top ones is clear, it was the worst thing ive ever done, my 3 leg operations and 3 eye operations was a breeze in comparison. Painwise if not importance at least. Im not trying to scare you, but..... RUN :D

If you have a good dentist that you trust, everything will be fine, if its a normal pull, its nothing to worry the least about(had one that grew ouside the others that i pulled). If its the surgury job, just remain calm, think about something really nice, and it will be over faster.

And you often get these funny painkillers with a substance that if it doesnt turn to morphine(dont remember the details), works like it(codeine). 2 of those and you are happy again.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:27 am

You don't feel anything more than a gentle tugging
Thats good, when they did mine they were stuck so hard they had to drill it to separate it into 3 pieces, then break them away one by one until the last bridges between the parts cracked. I hate the sound of really hard bone snapping. And they almost sprained my neck in the process of bending as it was stuck so hard. The left part of my jaw was blue for days afterwards.

Although i should say as it sat under the flesh pointed forwards, they couldnt take it with pliers, but was forced to do a incision on the outside, folding the flesh out so they could work from the side. And cutting open flesh gives quite a bit more blood then a normal pull.

This sounds like a horror story, but the dentist(part time surgeon) was a really good one.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:37 am

General anethesia is the way to go. All four of mine were impacted at a 45° angle. I had the surgery on a Friday morning and was back at school on Monday (although I did have some minor soreness most of the week).

b3n113
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:52 am

Tell them you have an extremely low pain tolerance. Explain that you have a phobia of being "put to sleep" and that local anesthesia has been known to give you nerve problems. Maybe you'll luck out and get some valium and diamorphine. <kidding>

Best of luck, it's an easy run of the mill deal, even it it's hard on the doctor you'll be fixed up in a weeks time tops.

Kevin
Administrator

Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:55 am

I had mine pulled on my 18th birthday. Some present.

I went for the knock out stuff, I just couldn't see a reason why my memories (and dreams) should be cluttered with images of some guy yanking my teeth out.

Although I was in and out of there in under 20 minutes. The ortho-surgeon said that was one of the fastest wisdom teeth jobs he ever did. Got all four of the teeth too.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

God in Training
Gerbil XP

Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:30 am

Whether to get local anesthetic or get "put out" depends more on the position of the teeth. Mine came in naturally, so a local was all I needed (plus I have a naturally high pain tolerance). If your teeth are impacted or blocked by other molars, a local may not do it. Either way, you will have pain afterward. My jaw was sore for a week because one root held very tightly and the dentist was jerking my jaw back and forth. Found out later one of the things I signed mentioned no liability if my jaw broke. Cripes.
Idealist at work.

jsbach11
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:27 pm

After you get them extracted, however sedated you choose to be,
the pits in your gums where the teeth used to be...might begin to itch as the anesthetic (local or general) wears off throughout the day.

When mine started to itch (don't dwell on this idea if they don't itch), the only thing I found that helped was SUCRETS--those little cough drops in the metal tins. If the itching comes up, try Sucrets or Chloraseptic spray, which will take some of the edge off.

Speedy recovery to you :D

Maedhros
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:47 pm

Good luck to you all, and do not get dry-socket. That hurts like b*tch. Forge, you are a lucky man. I have actually grown extra wisdom teeth; I have had 6 in all. I guess my genes are still stuck in Cro-Mag mode, eh?
The ego is only a bit of consciousness swimming upon the ocean of dark things. We are an enigma unto ourselves.

Bomber
Gerbil XP

Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:52 pm

Forge wrote:
I know everyone in this thread will hate me now....

But I hafta!!

I've got no wisdom teeth. No stubs, not even the hollows in the jaw where you're supposed to get them. The dentist says that in a few dozen generations, everyone will be like me (teeth-wise, anyways).

If only you'd been born later, eh?

At least now you've got your spares, for if you lose some. :)

LOL!! That makes you genetically superior to the rest of us. :) I have two wisdom teeth - top right, bottom left (strange, huh?).

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:45 pm

I'm pretty glad to say I've only ever had one tooth pulled out and it was a baby one so it don't count :-D

My sister had to have 4 out on one day though, that was pretty funny, it was a week after mine so I sat there watching her squirm :-D

Anyhoo, he just yanked at my tooth a bit (a bit = nearly pulled me out of chair, I was only about 8 :-D), but it didn't hurt...

Having said that though, I've got a cap + steel rod jobbie on my front tooth because I don't listen to my parents and paid for it in a stone fight :-D, plus I just remembered I had to have four incisors out because they wouldn't fall out and were getting in the way... they were pretty cool, I could push them about the full 90 degrees without pain, was a 5 minute job getting them out...

Erm... whoops, a bit of a tangent there,
IntelMole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem

Jive
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:09 pm

i dont have nay wisdom teeth and neither does my mother :P

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:16 pm

I might have to get mine pulled, but they have not bothered me as of yet. If I have to go in though, I am simply going to tell them to put me to sleep. Screw watching them pull bloody teeth out of my mouth. The idea is none too appealing. :-?
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:26 pm

Erm.... I hate to be a sarky whatname but I'm making a serious point behind it...

How exactly are you going to watch them do it?

It's really not that bad mate... just some tugging on your jaw and a bit of blood... don't go fainting and you'll be fine...

By the way, no matter how tempting, don't lick the new hole in your jaw to bits, it'll just bleed and itch.... I believe this is what caused jsbach11's problems, but that's just a hunch...

Whatever happens, enjoy the day :-P,
IntelMole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem

Alex
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:30 pm

Well, the first of 4 is out. It freakin HURTS!!!! :evil:

God in Training
Gerbil XP

Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:57 pm

I don't remember having my wisdom teeth pulled being all that bloody. Personally, I'd much rather be wide awake while someone is working on me. Too many stories of botched operations. :o So, I've watched through a foot operation and had my eyes worked on (couldn't watch that for obvious reasons) with only local anesthetic. Course, once it wears off there is only so much pain-killers can do.
Idealist at work.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:47 pm

My wisdom tooth was a bitch, as told above, it took almost 50 minutes, was done under local anesthetic, too much blood to be really funny, and the relaxing pills didnt do any effect, even though i got 3 of them and the only condition i got em was that i had someone to meet me and follow me home.

A friend of mine that is a doctor said its probably i have an extra pair of genes that gives me too much enzyme so i break down the active substance too fast so there isnt anything where the effect should be done. Same with most normal non-description painkillers, they dont work on me, as most of them are set to be active in the second stage. Its not that unusal, 5% of the total population has this "defect", while 20%(IIRC) has the opposite effect so they miss one pair of genes so they metabolize the active substances slower instead of normal speed.

This operation was even worse then when i did my leg operation and they only took 3 stings with the anasthetic, the next time they took 15 stings.
Lets just say you shouldnt be able to feel if the scalpel is cold before they start to cut.

yarbo
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:00 pm

looking at horrible stuff wasn't the problem, neither was hearing them talking about how they had to saw the tooth in half first. The bad part was the shots they gave me. They hurt a lot.
<a href=http://www.gentoo.org>Gentoo GNU/Linux</a>

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:02 pm

As mentioned above, Valium or Percadan will make the aching go away.

jsbach11
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:07 pm

I'll agree with Yarbo and say that for a local, the worst part is getting the novacaine shots. After that, it's all completely numb anyway. I remember watching blood gush and spray out of my mouth and the crunching, twisting sounds that I heard while the dentist was, in essence, ripping out my wisdom teeth with pliers. I'm not a queezy-type person though, so it wasn't that bad for me.

I didn't go with a general mostly because of the risk/slight possibility of not ever waking up again. Odds of that happening are very slim, but anywho..

I had 3 wisdom teeth, not 4, and 2 of them had 3 roots. My dentist kept them and shows them to his students. Pretty rare, I guess. Maybe I'll try to get them back and sell them on eBay.

jsbach11
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:09 pm

morpheus777 wrote:

Sucrets!!

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:16 pm

morpheus777 wrote:

why the heck didnt you get them all done at once and have it over with???
i still have to have ALL four of mine pulled sometime.... have been putting it off for lack of insurance to cover the cost. :) didnt want to pay $400 a tooth out of pocket.

when i have mine done i plan to have all four at once though.. and just eat soup for a week or so. :)
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

empty
Gerbil In Training

Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:47 pm

Yeah, it IS recommended you get them all taken out for sake of recovery and convenience, but you must have your reasons for spreading it out.

Also, if the surgeon hasn't told you already, to stop some of the bleeding after you have soaked up all your gauze, use tea bags. The tannic inside the tea bags will actually restrict the vessels so you bleed less. Also, after the stitches have dissolved or take out, you will have those sockets for a LONG freaking time, like 6 months. And that syringe thing they give you to clean out the sockets from time to time, damn you won't BELIEVE how much crap actually gets stuck in there. Have fun =].

Alex
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:33 am

I had 4 fillings as well, and not all the wisdom teeth were in. The Doc said it would be easier if they were at least pushing through the gum line. So far, only 1 was ready.