Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Gears of War PC - AA and Vsync not working?

Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:05 am

So my wife got me Gears of War PC (I'd mentioned I wanted to play the new levels and whatnot, so she keyed onto that pretty quickly) and first of all, if this is how it looks on the 360 on an HDTV...WOW...the graphics are super impressive. But secondly, I can't get the in-game Vsync and DX10 AA settings to work as advertised. The nVidia control panel defaults to "application controlled" for both of those items, and when turned on using the in-game menu settings, there was no AA and there was still some pretty hefty screen tearing. So I quit the game and forced AA and Vsync via the control panel, restarted, and no change. Is this just a problem with the game, the nVidia drivers (169.25 for Vista64), bad juju, rotten tacos, or possibly something else?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:22 pm

hmmm...nobody else with the game? or nobody else have this problem?

Oh and I just noticed that the nVidia control panel says the Vsync option in there is only for OpenGL - D3D should be set in-app within vista. Boo!
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:26 pm

I have ordered the game and should get it tomorrow. I'll check it out and see if I have the same problem. Have you checked their forums to see if it is a common problem?
| May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house |

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:32 pm

a google for
gears of war vsync 
returns this thread and little else. The Anti-aliasing is a stupid move on my part - i thought the AA/DX10 option was an on/off switch...it's actually off/on/on with AA. So I'm just stuck with no vsync. UT3 has the same problem with vsync.

edit: it appears to be happening for other people. I'm using 169.25 and this guy is using 169.21. Others with 169.0x say it work:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=2543751

another:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showt ... rid=207238

so it is apparently more widespread than I first thought.

roont
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:39 am

i turned off AA anyway. made a huge differance in performance and i didnt see that it lost all that much in terms of looking good. ive got a pretty hefty machine too.
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"

dolemitecomputers

Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:38 pm

At least you can play it. :o I just installed it and I seem to be suffering from the infamous 25 second crash issue. I checked their forums and I am trying to find a solution.

dolemitecomputers

Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:15 pm

It looks like this is a pretty common problem and Epic is refusing to provide a fix. I'm really glad I spent part of my Christmas gift money on this because it sure makes a nice coaster and door stop. :x

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showth ... p?t=595301

Edit: I apologize for hijacking the thread. I know this is a different issue. :D

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:10 pm

Yeah, that's definitely way worse and totally sucks. Kinda unlike Epic not to give post-release support.

dolemitecomputers

Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:08 pm

I was able to correct it by updating the Microsoft Live Game application. So far so good.