Personal computing discussed

Moderators: morphine, Steel

morphine
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB - SMART error B8

Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:11 am

I've had a Samsung F1 1TB drive (HD103UJ) for a couple months now and I'm very happy with it. It's fast, quiet, and it gives me that happy fuzzy feeling.

But it's recently developed a "problem" (note the quotes) in that it's throwing a SMART error, code B8. Now, I've checked it, IIRC, with SpeedFan, and it indicated that the error was temperature-related, and the HDD had been on one occasion over 70ºC. Yeah, right (25ºC, tops). I hadn't found any problems using the HDD, but still I ran a full surface test and it passed with flying colors. No other SMART flags are raised, so my conclusion is that the error is BS and it's a firmware problem.

The thing is, I've already mailed Samsung using their online form twice, and haven't gotten any reply. I've googled around and found several people with the same problem, but nobody has a solution. I'd be happy enough with forcefully clearing that flag myself. Has anyone ever come across this particular issue?

Oh, goes without saying, this lack of support from Samsung will make me look to WD next time.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

morphine
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Re: Samsung F1 1TB - SMART error B8

Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:11 am

There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

nois na fita
Gerbil In Training

Re: Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB - SMART error B8

Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:18 pm

I got the SMART AJ26 error with the HD322HJ Samsung F1 320GB.
0 bad sectors, no slow problems...
I talked to a technician and he said that "it's actually normal for some new Samsung drives".
I´d like to know if there´s a way to remove or reset this information (maybe a firmware update).

Thankz!

morphine
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:52 pm

I haven't found anything further and I also never got a reply from both times I mailed Samsung.

Regardless, I used Samsung's ESTool, and on the surface scan it said that there were bad sectors (error condition AJ26). So that settles it for me, I'm going to RMA this drive soon.

As much as I like the hard disk, I'm not buying Samsung next time. The fact that they ignored both my attempts at contacting them and never posted information on this issue will make me go, very likely, with WD next time.

nois na fita
Gerbil In Training

Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:17 pm

Did you try low level format? Some people say that might help...
I'am not going to format right now, because I have too many programs to reinstall, and my system is working with no problems.
Luck you having RMA.

Samsung HDD, never more.

cheers

morphine
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:43 pm

I should note that the B8 error and the surface scan don't seem to be related.

A low level format would only relocate sectors to unused ones, and it only really helps if it's only a couple or three bad sectors that originated from, for instance, shutting down the PC hard, or something similar. In this case, I have a fairly new HDD that's developing bad sectors. Even if I used a low-level format, the hard disk would be clear on one day and probably just degrade further the next.

Kourosh_au
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:12 am

Hi guys,

I have the same problem with my 1 TB Samsung HDD (S.M.A.R.T. error on start-up).
The HDD is my backup disk and starts and works normally, but I get the error message in the boot-up black screen before Windows starts.
I have read that this is a controller problem not the actuall disk defect.

I used to buy Maxtor HDDs for the past 15 years or so, but this time bought Samsung because of their reliable electronic past.
From now on, I will stick with Maxtor HDDs!!

Regards,

Kourosh