I figured you guys might enjoy rubbernecking the scene of my accident.
The complete photos: http://bit.ly/bOQSCL
So last night I finished reading for the evening, plugged in my iPad, set it on my nightstand, and went to sleep (around midnight). Around five AM, I got disturbed, woke up, and went for a wee (no genteel way to say that, I suppose). On my way back to bed, my brain finally hit minimum startup temp and turned over. I noticed there was a nasty sharp smell. Hey, that's burning plastic! Last time I smelled this (many years ago), a PCP&C PSU had gone rampant and cooked much electronics. I therefore assigned this high priority and ran to the basement. No smell. No cooking PCs. Good!
I headed back to bed, sniffing and searching as I went. The smell was coming from my nightstand!
Holy crap! That's melty! It's almost on FIRE!
I grabbed the cord and pulled it out. It was very melty, but more or less in one piece. Oh noes! My precious!
I grabbed up my iPad, and it promptly slid out of the limp rubber shell I normally have it in. I grabbed it! Holy sweet dear zombie of deliverance!!!! I'm not sure how hot it was, but it was a lot. Very a lot. My spine intervened, I let go, and my hand shot into the air.
While I did the Reflex Injury Dance, my iPad hit the floor and bounced. Ouch.
Well, I have an appointment at the Apple Store. We'll see what they say. They've treated me well before, and I hope they'll take the physical damage/crack/dent in context with the BLAZING FREAKING HEAT.