Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

bucky1963
Gerbil
Topic Author

soyo motherboard question

Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:50 pm

i am fairly new to this forum, i visit it daily and read all the info.
i have a soyo dragon ultra kt400. this motherboard has been rock stable no problems at all not one lock up or blue screen of death '
"knock on wood". why is it that no recomends soyo motherboards? in the six months or so that i have been here i can't even remember one problem encountered.

opinions please and thanks

mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:18 pm

Six months ago, soyo WAS the rave, due to their great looks, good packages, great performance and [back then] really good overclockability. Problem is, they didn't jump on the chipset bandwagon fast enough, and as NF2's, Sdales and Cwoods came out, ASUS, ABit and MSI all released their products which were overclocking and stability animals, SOYO took their time. Their boards are out now, but they aren't that spectacular in comparison to the A7N8X's and P4C800's.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

p4killer
Gerbil

Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:25 pm

I'm a hardcore Soyo fan... I recommend Soyo whenever I can. I personally have an SY-KT400 Dragon Ultra Platinum, and never had a single problem, ever.

Mime
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:50 pm

I think it depends on where you are geographically also. I've had the same experience stability-wise with my chaintech board, but chaintech stuff isn't as popular in the US as it is elsewhere, so you don't hear as much about it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

NeXus 6
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:07 am

I just bought the Soyo P4I875P Dragon 2 Platinum Edition mobo and can highly recommend this to anyone looking for a large array of storage options, mild overclocking (Soyo have uploaded a new "overclocking" BIOS to their Web site), and stability. It's not for everyone but does offer some nice features as noted in the TR review.

My last Soyo mobo was a 6BA (440BX) with a P2 350 MHz and was rock solid stable. I had it up until 2000 when I got more into the overclocking scene and upgraded to an AMD box. To this day, the Soyo 6BA is the best mobo I've ever owned. 8)

Maedhros
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:31 pm

My last Soyo board was the KT266A Dragon. That was a great board; in fact, that's still the board in my dad's main rig. I think Soyo makes great products.
The ego is only a bit of consciousness swimming upon the ocean of dark things. We are an enigma unto ourselves.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:37 pm

The Soyo K7VA+ Dragon (KT266A) is at the heart of this PC. It's been more trouble than the Asus A7M266 that I had before or the Asus A7N8X Deluxe that powers my newest PC. I had to RMA the motherboard back to Soyo (for a fee) to replace a defective on-board Promise FastTrak controller.