Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Nelliesboo, David, mac_h8r1

tipoo
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Laptop only boots when hot. yep.

Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:17 pm

So here's an interesting one for you. My old Dell Studio 15 only boots when the processor/GPU/heatsink has been allowed to get piping hot. This either involves leaving it on for hours, or speeding it up by blowing a hairdryer into the vent. The fan only comes on when it's overheated, and once it starts blowing I know I can successfully boot it up. Once it's on, it works 100% without fail. I've taken to leaving it on all the time because of this, but any time I need a reboot it's a risk to not being able to start up.

Soo, my theory here is that it's the ball grid array under the GPU, some solder in there probably cracked and getting really hot allows it to reconnect, then once it's on it stays warm enough to stay in contact.

Any other theories? Should I go ahead and try a reflow? Or is it more likely something else, like bad caps?

I already have a new laptop (15" haswell rmbp...Quite a step up from this, I'm dying of gooditude. Apart from Yosemite being a buggy pos), so I don't much care if I break the old one.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Laptop only boots when hot. yep.

Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:57 pm

Your theory is a good one!

If the motherboard is easy to pull a reflow is probably worth a try. Otherwise, this one is ready for the scrap heap.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:02 am

I've seen this in a Viao laptop before - something (probably a surface mount part) must have been loose and as the board warmed and expanded it was enough to make it run stably, but I could only get it to boot by flexing the whole laptop upwards and holding it there for a few minutes. Whatever the problem was it required a contraction of the backside of the motherboard, or the whole board to expand fractionally from heating up, before it would run.

I junked the laptop. No way I was going to reflow the whole damn backside of the motherboard.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

tipoo
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:28 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
I junked the laptop. No way I was going to reflow the whole damn backside of the motherboard.

I'm seeing it as a fun project rather than work I have to do. So, two votes agreeing that a reflow is likely needed?

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:54 pm

Based on what you said, yeah - sounds like it.

The Studio15 is the wedge-shaped plastic laptop, right? Since it's plastic there's likely a bit of flex in the chassis (probably what caused it to fail in the first place) so you could try cold-booting whilst applying pressure in various directions to see if that makes a difference. If the short or gap is so close that a little bit of thermal expansion does the trick, you should be able to get a similar result to thermal expansion just with some flexing.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:15 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
I've seen this in a Viao laptop before - something (probably a surface mount part) must have been loose and as the board warmed and expanded it was enough to make it run stably, but I could only get it to boot by flexing the whole laptop upwards and holding it there for a few minutes. Whatever the problem was it required a contraction of the backside of the motherboard, or the whole board to expand fractionally from heating up, before it would run.

For SMT work, manual reflow often isn't an option anyway. Have to remove all plastic bits and try the toaster oven method, and hope you get lucky.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

the
Gerbil Elite

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:42 pm

tipoo wrote:

Any other theories? Should I go ahead and try a reflow? Or is it more likely something else, like bad caps?

As far as boot up oddities good, I have a system that has a bad PMU/SMC unit after 12 years of usage. Manually hitting the motherboard reset putting on the board would enable it to boot once. Once it was working, it was stable but it wouldn't come up after a reboot. Needless to say, reaching into the case every time I needed to reboot/power on got old quick.

With regards to the Dell 15", have you checked to see if there is a means of manually resetting the PMU/SMC ?

I also presume the standard clear CMOS/NVRAM has been performed?
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 3930K@4.2 Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 2600K@4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:02 pm

Your first guess is probably right. That said, there's a slim possibility that the CPU fan is partially seized (until it gets hot), and the BIOS is instituting it's "CPU Fan Fail" protection.
Comcast is known to the State of California to cause Internet cancer.

tipoo
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:06 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
The Studio15 is the wedge-shaped plastic laptop, right? Since it's plastic there's likely a bit of flex in the chassis (probably what caused it to fail in the first place) so you could try cold-booting whilst applying pressure in various directions to see if that makes a difference. If the short or gap is so close that a little bit of thermal expansion does the trick, you should be able to get a similar result to thermal expansion just with some flexing.

Ah, I should have thought of this! I've repeated it twice now, when leaving it on to heat it up to start it up, I just pressed my palm firmly against the heatsink/fan area, and it started doing the overheating beeping. Every time it gets to that point, I know the next boot will work. It didn't work when I wasn't overheating it and applied pressure though, but maybe I have to try a few more times, maybe takes more pressure when not warm.

So this pretty much confirms it's a flex issue of some sort, and likely the BGA like I originally suspected. Some people with this laptop had success with putting a copper shim between the heastsink and GPU, but this laptop proved to be more of a PITA to open than it might be worth, you have to tear down so much...Bottom panel, then screw under the battery, then flip it around and take out the speaker grille, then the keyboard, etc, lots of flipping back and forth just to get at the mainboard :roll:

Maybe when I'm less lazy.

Mentawl
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:27 pm

The Egg wrote:
Your first guess is probably right. That said, there's a slim possibility that the CPU fan is partially seized (until it gets hot), and the BIOS is instituting it's "CPU Fan Fail" protection.

That'd be my first thought too. I'd open it up and try poking the fan on a "cold" (badoom-tish) boot to see if that helps things.
i7-8700k @ 4.7ghz | MSI Krait Z370 Gaming | nVidia GTX1080 | 16gb DDR4 3200 | 2x SSDs 1x HDD | Antec Solo II | Dell U2713HM

tipoo
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:10 pm

Mentawl wrote:
The Egg wrote:

That'd be my first thought too. I'd open it up and try poking the fan on a "cold" (badoom-tish) boot to see if that helps things.

The fan moves freely just blowing on it, and doing that while it's in the do-nothing bootup state doesn't help it along. Keeping it spinning while I press the power button doesn't either.

Only the heat thing and now applying pressure around the heatsink help, so I'm sure it's something to do with heat flex. Probably the BGA.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:01 pm

tipoo wrote:
The fan moves freely just blowing on it, and doing that while it's in the do-nothing bootup state doesn't help it along. Keeping it spinning while I press the power button doesn't either.

Well nevermind that, unless the machine has more than one fan. How exactly does it react when you try to boot cold?

tipoo
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:24 pm

The Egg wrote:
tipoo wrote:

Well nevermind that, unless the machine has more than one fan. How exactly does it react when you try to boot cold?

Hard drive spins up, screen stays blank, nothing else. It only starts beeping when it's overheating, then usually when I turn it off and wait a minute (so it's not in overheating state anymore, but still really hot), it turns on properly and starts spewing heat out.

I havn't been able to do more tests on the cold boot while applying pressure, because after appying pressure a few times while hot it's just been starting up normally, even when not hot :o
Careless pressing saves the day?

More testing needed, as a man of science.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:38 pm

Is your RAM seated correctly? I'd try the RAM chips one at a time, and also one at a time in different slots. I'd also pull the battery and all the drives while testing for good measure. Does your laptop have a discreet GPU?

tipoo
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:47 pm

The Egg wrote:
Is your RAM seated correctly? I'd try the RAM chips one at a time, and also one at a time in different slots. I'd also pull the battery and all the drives while testing for good measure. Does your laptop have a discreet GPU?

Yup, tried all that early on, its not the RAM or hard drive, or the CMOS battery either. It does have a discreet Radeon 4570 - the failure of which I think is the issue, likely a classic solder crack on the BGA underbelly.

entropy13
Gerbil

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:07 pm

So it doesn't involve the camera scanning the person in front of the laptop first, and making a comparison based on an arbitrary "hotness" standard?
P67A-GD65 (B3), i7, GTX 570 (GT 630 temp. card), 8GB RAM, 1TB + 500GB, FSP 700W PSU

tipoo
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:29 pm

entropy13 wrote:
So it doesn't involve the camera scanning the person in front of the laptop first, and making a comparison based on an arbitrary "hotness" standard?

It helps, but you have to talk dirty to it either way.