Pentium D, Pentium 4, Celeron D prices slashed

As Intel gears up to officially launch its Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme
processors later today, the company has updated
its price list (PDF)

cuts aren’t all that attractive. Only the Pentium 4 6×1 series and a
couple of Pentium 4 5×1 chips received cuts, and they still top out at
$183 for the 3.6GHz Pentium 4 661. The Celeron D line has been squeezed
even lower than before, though, with the flagship 3.33GHz Celeron D
356 now only $74.

Finally, Intel did also apply some very minor cuts to its Core Duo line,
but none of them seem to exceed $1.

• yuhong

Unfortunately, neither the 915 or 925 chipsets support any dual-cores.

• ssway

Just picked up my E6600 today in Akihabara! =)

• IntelMole

I have literally just finished speccing out an Athlon X2 3800 system with a gig of RAM. He wanted the machine for gaming, aside from the ass-whupping they give a Pentium D there, I feel better speccing this as I know it will draw less power and be cooler.

His budget was £600, and he’s just got a complete box and 19″ monitor for £590. Me, I’d call that a bargain, and I’m intensely jealous of everyone these days it seems, since they have all just upgraded their PCs (the irony is that it was me telling them to wait for these price cuts 🙂
    -Mole

• Bauxite

Yay I can probably still pawn off my 805 for at least $50 in a little bit.

• axeman

Boy, some of those netbust prices are lousy, especially in light of massive x2 price cuts.

• echo_seven

Looks like the Rebel Alliance stuck between the Death Star and the Imperial Fleet up there, on that price chart…

• indeego

wtf no TR /quote from scott on the Intel names?

terribleg{<.<}g

• stmok

It tends to become obvious…

Lower-end = grab an X2 3800+ over Pentium-D

Everywhere else on the desktop = grab a Core 2 Duo.

• indeego

I think a 6300 or better should be the only consideration from this point buying. if you don’t have a PC already, then you are behind.

If you have one but want to upgrade, that single processor or better should be the minimum to get, just because of the sheer value in the potential O/Cg{<.<}g

• Hattig

But the low end Conroes aren’t available until October at the earliest.

The 3800+ looks to be the best option in the $100 – $200 price point, and if you overclock you should get 2.6GHz on it without too much effort. Also motherboard prices and power consumption are on the 3800+’s side vs. the Pentium Ds around it (anyone else think that there is a confusing number of those processors?). The 945 looks intriguing however.

If you’re going to pay more than say $250 though, you are best off getting a Conroe, for the obvious reasons.

• crabjokeman

Sorry, as an “office power user”, I just don’t see anything to be excited about when I can get a cheap X2 3800 with C’n’Q.

If an online vendor could assure me that I would receive the more power-frugal C1 stepping, I might consider a Pentium D 940.

• Beomagi

I have an 805 right now, but that 945 does look pretty damn enticing. 945 chipset i got wont take a core 2.

• lex-ington

From re-reading the EE 965 (http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/pentium-xe-965/index.x?pg=1 ) review, anything from the 950 and below will only match or be beaten by the X2-3800 on _[

• thecoldanddarkone

There are deffinitely more John does though. Hehe. I don’t know though the 820 and 805 look pretty enticing so does the 945 in some intstances obivously. The other pd, don’t unless (like on 939) you have a 945, 955, 975 board that doesn’t support conroe, then it makes a little more sense).

• Convert

I wouldn’t mind a 905 at around $100 since it would be on 65nm (so long as it kept the slower fsb).

Then again you can get ocing boards for 939/am2 that are downright dirt cheap so I wouldn’t be saving all that much over a x2 3800+. Hmm.

• thecoldanddarkone

decent 945 boards aren’t that bad.

• Beomagi

there’s apparently a 946 chipset incoming that is suppossed to support core 2 at the budget level – should be a better option over 945 if you’re looking to upgrade.

• thecoldanddarkone

I am actually looking for hte 946, I said that in another post somewhere earlier, but still. I am looking towards the 946.

• StashTheVampede

Damn right, signing this thread. Prices > Featured for 99% of the people out there. If some client wanted to build a box, why wouldn’t I buy P-D at sub $200/cpu? (minus the vendor preferences).

Is the 820 an 800MHz part or a 533MHz like the 805? Someone mentioned that X2’s are getting back into AthlonXP territory, but *this* is really AthlonXP territory…

• thecoldanddarkone

2.8 gigahurtz 800fsb

• Corrado

The $165 845 looks enticing… i just wish my mobo supported it 🙁 Stupid i915.

• thecoldanddarkone

same here, stupid 925xe board…

• continuum

I suppose I should check on the P-D 915 myself…