Vista still on track for January release

Despite Bill Gates’ statement last
month that Vista was “80% likely” to make it to its announced release
date, Microsoft has now reiterated
its initial plan
to ship Vista to businesses in the fourth quarter
and to consumers in January ’07. The reiteration comes from Timothy
Chen, Microsoft’s CEO for the Greater China region, who told Windows IT
Pro Magazine that the release schedule is currently “unchanged” and that
the consumer version of Vista will come out in “late January.”

That said, Microsoft has reportedly made some schedule tweaks
internally. Vista’s build 5520 was originally intended to ship as the
Release Candidate 1 version, but problems with the build forced
Microsoft to pass the torch to build 5536. Paul
Thurrott believes neither build 5520 nor build 5536 are proper
candidates for the final Vista release, though, since Microsoft does not
plan to finalize the operating system until October.

• DrCR

Anyone know of reliable ways to getting the various beta builds without being a dev or something?
    Thanks!

Edit: Yeah, Vista is indeed reminiscent of WinME.

• Krogoth

From what I keep hearing about Vista with its current beta releases. It is almost exactly like it is going to be the next ME, unless MS does some major changes (classic layout option, sigificant optimizations etc).

• blastdoor

I plan to install RC1 as my main OS once it ships. My wife just got a MacBook, and I want something new and shiny on my desktop, too (and I’m not ready to switch back to the Mac — I want to see better/more game support and some big sustained marketshare gains from Apple before I consider that).

• indeego

RC1 will be an unsupported OS and data loss can occur. You won’t get support, your data might be forever lost, MS can’t even guarantee that the data structure will remain the same.

Highly advised against this tacticg{<.<}g

• blastdoor

thanks for your $.02.

But I happily lived with the RC1 of W2k back in 1999 as my primary OS, and had no problems. I also know how to back up my data (just because I like shiny things doesn’t mean I’m stoopid — it might imply it, but it doesn’t prove it 🙂

• vdreadz