iTunes to offer movie downloads in two weeks?

Apple may take the wraps off its online movie download service in just a couple of weeks, if sources quoted by BusinessWeek are right. The sources say in mid-September, Apple will begin selling movies via the iTunes store. Despite Apple CEO Steve Jobs’ reported push for a flat $9.99 pricing scheme, however, the movies will supposedly be priced at $14.99 for new releases and $9.99 for older films. Perhaps not coincidentally, multiple sources quoted by Mac Rumors say Apple will hold a “special press event” in San Francisco on Tuesday, September 12. The date clashes with the Apple Expo in Paris, France, but Apple has stated that no keynote will be held there—possibly as a protest against France’s newly passed “iPod law.”

• gargar

if someone break into my home and steel my computer i’d kill him, his family, and his dog. however, if he only copy everything off my hard disk i my just hit him (or his dog) for not asking permission first. there’s a huge difference. see?

mpaa riaa and the music/movie industry make enough money. they have enough. i rather contribute my money to smaller gameing companies like bethesda/obsidian/telltale and to less popular artists like within temptation and nightwish. they need it more.

• house

The most sane thing I’ve heard here so far.

• Vrock

It’s amazing what some folks will try to justify to themselves so they can get something for nothing.

• Bauxite
    • toetag

Ok, dumb question here, but how are they transmitting these movies? Is it streaming like the internet radio stuff, kind of a pay-per-view thing, are people downloading full sized movie files or DVD image files, or are these special compressed movies solely for iPod like things?

What kind of file sizes are we looking at here. My internet isn’t the fastest, in fact it sometimes it feels as if it’s only a step or two over dialup, I’m cheep and I have few options where I live. I can’t imagine trying to download 2+Gb of movie. It would be faster to order it via s_mail, also it comes in a pretty box, and a book you can read while the FBI warning is on.

I think I’ll stick to my NetFlix. I can wait.

• king_kilr

Would you go into Blockbuster and steal a DVD, no. Somehow when its on the internet people feel no guilt.

• house

No but I would COPY it since COPYING and stealing are different things.

• indeego

Ever since youtube I find I don’t have much patience for anything over 3 minutes. hehe. Sad? changed my life? probably a tad of both.

I did see /[

• Chryx

g{

• spuppy

I still don’t get how someone could watch a movie on a tiny screen like that…

• SGT Lindy

How about watching it on your 21inch wide screen LCD? You are not forced to ONLY watch it on your Ipod.

I downloaded the last episode of BSG (Battle Star Galatica) last year from Itunes because my recorded copy on my PVR stopped copying 45min into it. So I watched it on my PC to see what happened….cost my $2.

• blastdoor

I wonder if the video quality will be higher than that of the TV shows they sell — if not, then this will be a rather unappealing product. The Netflix model of rent, rip, and divx is pretty compelling.

• Gandhi

They need to up the quality of the video downloads. I downloaded/purchased the Clone Wars set from iTunes and it looks crap on the computer. I am sure it looks fine on a vPod, but on a big screen it loses to a DVD.

• Nutmeg

How interesting. Excuse me while I go back to torrenting films for free.

• steelcity_ballin

You mean stealing right? Okay, just wanted to clear that up. Thanks, and I’m sure everything you’re downloading is independent unlicensed stuff too, no sweat.

• Nutmeg

Yes stealing. Oh please don’t set the RIAA on me!

• Corrado

I doubt the RIAA cares if you’re downloading movies… the MPAA on the otherhand.

• Nutmeg

Yeah that one. Also lol @ Sgt Lindy.

• SGT Lindy

NUTSACK is a proud thief. I hope someone breaks into your house and steals your PC.

Thanks for contributing to society Nutbag.

• Code:[M]ayhem

You morons do realise that in many countries U.S. copyright means diddly squat.

• SGT Lindy

So how does that play into the morality of stealing something? How does that inspire the artist in question to continue to provide us with whatever it is they do?

Maybe I am just off base…………because I am a MORON?

• Krogoth

Theft > Copyright infrimgment, anything else is PR nonsense from guess who? MPAA/RIAA. Does it mean it is alright to blanantly violet copyright laws? No, but the current system in US is in the major flavor of the copyright holder with deep pockets to pay -[

• albundy

yes, yes you are. I’m surprised that TR didnt ban your ass from the nice comment of threating Nutmeg because of his right to opinion. In due time I guess.

Also, I presume that you just woke up under a rock, and found out about bootlegging and its century old history, that you seem to be unaware of.

• house

copyright infringment != stealing, I thought this was already established long ago. copyright infringment = copyright infringment.

• Bauxite

Nope, you’re just uneducated and going with the “Rated I” sheep crowd.

The courts agree, infringment, while illegal, is not stealing nor theft.

Morality != Legality, while I would not be one to say ‘copy everything it should all be free for all’, plenty of otherwise upstanding and intelligent folks realize the whole copyright/patent/IP/DRM/etc trash going on today is a steaming pile of donkey dung.

The interesting truth is many of the signers of our favorite documents would be big fat pirates of some sort today.

• king_kilr

I would think the movie companies would want to hop right on the iTunes Movie Store, basically show WalMart, “You don’t have us by the balls!”