Final Vista pricing announced, public RC1 coming

After accidentally giving a peek of Canadian pricing last Monday, Microsoft has officially unveiled U.S. retail prices for Windows Vista. The four retail Vista editions will be priced like so when they hit stores next January:

Edition

Full price

Upgrade
Windows Vista Home Basic $199.00 $99.95
Windows Vista Home Premium $239.00 $159.00
Windows Vista Business $299.00 $199.00
Windows Vista Ultimate $399.00 $259.00

Aside from revealing those prices, Microsoft has also announced that it will make the Release Candidate 1 build of Windows Vista available to Customer Preview Program participants later this week. The RC1 build was released to testers last Friday, but now Microsoft wants to make it available for “broad customer and partner testing.” In line with this plan, the Customer Preview Program will be opened to new users a few days after Vista RC1 is released to pre-existing participants. Overall, Microsoft plans eventually to have five million users world-wide testing Windows Vista RC1.

Final Vista Price: $0

Baseless guess, I know, but I reckon that for every legal copy of Vista that is sold, there will be 2 cracked versions that end up on a machine, therefore the median price of Vista is $0

Gamers will eventually be forced to use Vista because of DX10, and how many 13-year old kids do you know with $200 spare to spend on an operating system?

• Shintai

If they got a gaming rig, DX10 gfx card and the game. Then why not a 200$ OS, or a 100$ upgrade?

• flip-mode

A DX10 gaming rig will be able to be built for $500. And if it’s just upgrading the gfx card, then perhaps only $100.

• Jigar

Cool for the first time i am buying a geniun copy… I am now a good boy.. 🙂

• Shintai

Anyway, I laugh of all the whiners and crybabies. Most dont have an issue using 1.5-2K ona box, buying a new 400$ GFX card once or more per year. Playing 15$ a month MMO plus 40$ for expansions and the game. However a 100 or 200$ OS that will last them 5year+ suddenly makes everyone cry like there is no tomorrow.

I want cars to be 50$ too, else its ok to steal them…right?

• pluscard

What amazes me is that Dell will sell you a pc for $299 including the OS.

That means on some value boxes, the OS costs more than the hardware.

• Shintai

Wrong. They pay a whole other price. Even on expensive newegg its 90$ for the OEM.

• flip-mode

Comparing the cost of hardware with the cost of software is pretty silly IMO. I’d like to see a proffit margin comparison between a copy of Windows and even an X6800 or FX-whatever. Besides, I ain’t never plunked down more than $200 on ANY piece of hardware, much less $400 every year. I’m guessing that those that do so aren’t the ones complaining here. Think about it.

• Shintai

So a profit margin above 50% for a CPU is ok? But if its a pcs of software then its overpriced nomatter what?

And a 100$ upgrade is what, 20$ a year? Or lets up it and say you had an OEM. 40$ a year or 1.67$/3.33$ a month. Im sorry, if thast too much you shouldnt own a computer. or you should start using a free *nix variant.

• flip-mode

Man, I’m not trying to be an ass when I say this, but you should stop telling people what they should and should not do, and who should and should not own a computer. I’m a working-class American – I complain about the prices at Wal-Mart. There are things that you bitch about that other people don’t have a problem with. You’re actually pretty good at recognizing that people think differently, most of the time.

• Shintai

I´m not really telling them what to do or not to do. They have 3 choices if they are to be legal. Buy Windows, use free alternative or nothing at all.

• flip-mode

In the U.S., and I thought in the E.U. too, we also have the right to piss and moan 😉

• Shintai

Thats what im doing :p

• AKing

I certainly think u should buy it if u can afford it. But copying is not the same as stealing, as its a copy that didnt exist before. And just becouse you copy it, it doesnt mean you would buy it if u wouldnt be able to copy it. I copy expensive programs like 3Ds max and others i wouldnt afford anyway. But i think its good for those companies that youths like me copy their expensive software intended for businesses. Becouse when we get older we have already got used and learned to use them and by them we have the income to actually buy them.

But in the windowscase, it is a overprizing and MS knows its. Therefore they’l have to live with some, mostly youths and students, copying their OS. I say that its an overprizing becouse MS makes a whole lot more money than they spend on developing their OS, they could cut the prize in half and still make enough money to develop another OS + make a big profit.

• duffy

Note to Bill:

Charity begins at home.

• Forge

Ahem. I see a lot of folks talking about ‘the OEM will be cheaper’. Has no one else been paying attention? MS has made it completely invalid to sell an OEM version with anything less than a full system, and it has to be preloaded, at that.

I’m sure someone will say ‘I don’t care if the licensing is valid, someone somewhere will sell me a plain OEM CD!’ – Be that as it may, if it’s not valid, it’s as good as pirated, and if I were to sign up to run a pirated version of Windows, I’m not paying anyone jack for the ‘privilege’.

At least more and more games run smoothly under Cedega/Wine with less and less work to set them up. Linux is 99.99% ready for my desktop, and my next Windows reinstall may not even happen at this rate.

• d0g_p00p

I don’t see what the big deal is with the pricing. Yes it’s expensive but think of this. You pay anywhere from $200 to $400 for software that will last you ast least 5 years. Plus it’s software that you will use every single time you use your computer. I think that is well worth the price. I mean, look at some of the other software prices. Adobe Photoshop CS 2 $600, Office 2003 standard $300. WoW subscription for 5 years, $700. I could go on and on. Plus with the price of Vista you get free updates, patches, service packs, etc. If you look at the price in the long run, it’s really not that expensive.

If the prices make people want to use Linux, go for it. Have fun using a OS that has incomplete, unsupported, unusable software. Lets not even get into the driver issues, lack of games support, limited hardware support and the general headache of running server software on your desktop. Don’t get me wrong I have no issue with people running linux, however it’s not ready for full time desktop use and it won’t for a long long time. Hell I use FreeBSD on my second workstation and it’s perfect for what I need it for, but when I need to do work that is compatable with the business world and uses supported file formats that “the real world” uses I go back to my XP box.

To each his own I guess. I myself will not be upgrading to Vista until SP1 comes out. In the mean time I’ll keep using XP, FreeBSD and OSX.

• Krogoth

y[< If the prices make people want to use Linux, go for it. Have fun using a OS that has incomplete, unsupported, unusable software. Lets not even get into the driver issues, lack of games support, limited hardware support and the general headache of running server software on your desktop. <]y It sounds exactly like the current shape of Visia compaired to what Longhorn orignially promised. y[< Don't get me wrong I have no issue with people running linux, however it's not ready for full time desktop use and it won't for a long long time. Hell I use FreeBSD on my second workstation and it's perfect for what I need it for, but when I need to do work that is compatable with the business world and uses supported file formats that "the real world" uses I go back to my XP box.<]y Ubuntu Linux, OpenOffice, some free third-party AV/Firewall software enough said. Edit: for gaming needs Cedega/Wine or VMware will work.

• d0g_p00p

I see your point. However you are a power user and not the normal joe. Open Office? it’s not 100% compatable with MS Office, VMWare for games? No thanks I don’t want to emulate a OS to play games. Cedega? again, so now I pay for the game, then have to pay a subscription service just to play that game? No thanks. WINE? what a joke, here is what is needed to play Jedi Knights using WINE.

Installation

First of all Download the Installer from here -> §[<http://liflg.org/<]§ Now change to root: su Password Switch to your home dir or wherever you saved the file, and Start the Installer: sh jedi.academy_1.01-multilanguage.run After Installing Jedi Academy set the rights for your game dir for example: chmod 777 /usr/local/games/jediacademy -R Uhh yeah, again until Linux can do everything Windows can do without compiling, grabbing dependencies, learning arcane commands just to make things work. My statement still stands. I understand that most people here can use Linux on a day by day basis just fine. However forgetting about joe sixpack (who would be utterly clueless and lost) Linux is NOT ready for day to day useage. Once more, I have no issues with Linux, it's just that I wish people would realize that it's not a desktop that the rest of the world can use, nore will it be anytime soon. Linux is just a huge hype machine for people who think they are better than everyone else and to buck the system. I don't know about you, but I just want stuff to work with minimal effort. I used to like to tinker but now I just want stuff to work without issue. I don't have time to read HOWTOS and browse forums to get the basic functionality of my computer to work. If that is your thing, more power to you. Myself I just don't have the time.

• rika13

i can see lots of people doing clean upgrade installs with burned xp cd’s (which is completely LEGAL since the xp cd is legal to copy, its only piracy when you install it illegally, and many SMART techs carry a copy on them as its disposable compared to an original and many times a machine will need the original disc for dll’s and such)

• indeego

And lest any of you think there aren’t features in the OS besides eye candy, just read the listg{<:<}g §[<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_Vista<]§

• Krogoth

They are mostly fixes on the known weaknesses of XP and W2K. It is fairly accurate to say that Vista is really “XP 1.5” for the price tag of another single-seat license. 😉

• indeego

Be that as it may, the imaging and recovery features alone are worth the price. I can now image user’s desktops and not have to resort to third party tools and maintenance costs like Symantec or Acronis! joy! This will save our company thousands in licensing/recovery costs, even hardware costs. Why use raid 1 for most end-user desktops when I can just paste an image right back on from the previous night’s incremental image?

• l33t-g4m3r

$400?!
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAA
    AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHA
    I can easily see why some of ms’ higher ups are calling it quits.

<paranoia>
    so…. whens ww3 and the anti-christ coming?
    This has to be the beginning of the end.
    </paranoia>

I hope ms dies with this. seriously.
    200 for the crippled bloatware “home” edition. pathetic.

I feel like they’re bribing me $200+ and double/triple dog daring me to go straight to Linux.
    very well may accept that challenge too. 😛
    I’m already using a lot of open source/freeware programs on my computer as it is.
    nuts to you shodan, and I’ll take the red pill.

….
    Afterthought:
    could be too early to be this harsh, but jeez what a mess.
    I can’t possibly see Microsoft saving themselves on this one, except for mass cooperation with other companies to force vista onto the unwilling masses. Eg: no more XP security patches and all new programs will only install and run on vista, some possibly with DRM, XP just won’t be able to cut it.
    Wouldn’t put it past them anyway, they’d do it in a heartbeat if they could easily get away with it, *#%$ monopoly that they are.

• Thebolt

XP home is $200 at retail for the full version, they’ve priced Vista basic at the same, I don’t see this as being unfair. XP pro is $300 for the full version, similar to the vista business, perhaps that’s the equivalent of XP pro with the ultimate one having addition features over that which many users might not need.

The reason you think these prices are outrageous is that you’ve confused the retail and OEM pricing. Yes, you can buy XP home at 90-100 and pro at about 150, there is nothing indicating that you won’t be able to do the same with vista soon enough as far as I can tell.

• l33t-g4m3r

hopefully you’re right. they’re really gonna need some lower OEM prices to get individual sales.

I’m guessing most of thier initial sales are going to big rich corporations that really want the latest and greatest.

• kvndoom

Those corporations will get VLKs anyway, which is slightly lower average price per unit than OEM. Not a whole lot cheaper, but a little, if memory serves.

• Shintai

I doubt you got any knowledge about what corporations pay.

MVLS and Open license makes it kinda cheap. I think we pay around 40$ a year per user with windows desktop (any version), office(any version), windows server, exchange etc CAL and so on.

And it can be had for less the better you are to negotiate.

• A_Pickle

Wow, uh, where to begin?

Are you going to pirate it? Did you pirate XP? If you didn’t, you’d know Vista isn’t priced all that differently at retail. And you can buy it OEM. Ah, damn that logic.

• flip-mode

Wow. Just wow. Some of that stuff was just, wow.

• indeego

Yeah… it’s looking like people should seriously consider a SP1 wait for this thingg{…}g

• Shokuji

I wonder how many people will convert to linux now.

• deathBOB

What is the difference if I just want to play games?

• Krogoth

MS seems to have lost it this time around or just do not care about the OS business anymore.They are trying to pass off a marginally improved XP for another single-seat license cost. The underlying improvements to the drivers and so forth are countered by the unnecessay increase in eye candy, bloatware which increase memory usage.

• wierdo

Dude, it’ll sell regardless of its merits, they’ll install them on OEM machines.

• alex666

I’ve been using pre-RC1 for the past 4 days, the first time I’ve run a beta OS of any kind. It installed easily and runs smoothly. It does seem hardware intensive. While I’ve never been one to use the visual bells and whistles of XP (I always turn them off), I must admit the vista is extremely seductive visually, for lack of a better description. I really like using it. I can’t explain it any better than that. As for what benefits, well I think they’re hidden or I haven’t used them yet. I understand the search engine is genuinely awesome, but I haven’t really used it yet. Also, it’s supposedly much more secure, though that’s just a question of time before the hackers get to work. And that 3D aero interface is very impressive and genuinely useful. Finally, I donwloaded Office 2007 beta and it has worked flawlessly.

But $259 for a retail upgrade for the ultimate version?! Whoa, MS has to be kidding. I hope the oem is cheaper. It will be interesting to see how the major oems market the various versions.

• My Johnson

Memory will be behind 4″ of bullet proof glass per the new driver model.

• Calico

The Full Retail is always expensive, seldom purchased, in my opinion uninteresting. The OEM pricing is the most interesting, because that’s what anyone buying a new computer will pay. Next to that is the Upgrade, aptly named. Even then, we’re talking MSRP, we’ll buy for less.

Now, the part worth moaning about is the fact that XP Pro only upgrades to Vista Business or Vista Ultimate. Many of the system tools and x64 that drove sales of XP Pro over XP Home are now going to be included in Vista Home Premium, making Home Premium a potential (but disallowed) upgrade for XP Pro. And then there’s the massive price difference between Home and Business levels.

I bet they’ll sell Ultimate Upgrade, and nearly every copy will be an upgrade from XP Pro. Maybe I’ll wait until I’m ready to do a new build. This rig is already 5 months old, and it’ll be another 15-16 months before Vista is mature enough to buy, then it’s almost time for a new box anyway.

• mirkin

over priced
    way late
    watered down
    underwhelming

I’m offended –

• Smurfer2

….. Uh, let me just check and tell me if I am wrong….

Drivers are detached from the main kernal, IE is no longer attached to the main kernal, Aero glass 3D interface may be useful, but the top two do it for me. I won’t be upgrading till I get another CPU for 64bit. (have a 64bit computer now, but Pentium 4’s are not something I want to use far into the future.

• blitzy

ok, so what are the features in vista that im actually going to see some benefit from or use? i havent heard of any which would make me want to upgrade so far

• crabjokeman

I’ll be staying with XP until they discontinue support or hardware/software incompatibility forces me to upgrade.

• Inkedsphynx

Also, in case nobody thought it up yet, notice that a few of the upgrade versions are more than 100$ cheaper than the retail full version. So, you buy an OEM copy of XP for 90$, the upgrade version for whatever, and it’s still 20$ cheaper than the full version (assuming you don’t want the full retail package). Of course, full OEM versions should be about 100$ cheaper than the retail price (going off XP prices), so there’d be little point. Just wanted to mention it though.

• maxxcool

299$ 😐 wow… ok i expected a reaming job but *D*amn…. thats like getting a fistfull of barbwire covered in hot sauce up the keister…

Im glad i have no motivation AT ALL to upgrade.

• J3diNinjaWizards

$400? Yarrrrrrr Matey, fire up ye olde Bit Torrente!!!!!

• A_Pickle

I uh… meant to post that elsewhere. Yar.

• MixedPower

It’s times like this that I’m glad to still be a student. I can get XP Pro for $14, so I’m expecting to pay somewhere around $20 for either Business or (hopefully) Ultimate. 🙂

• Jive

How would i go upon getting a student discount for Windows XP? I went to my school’s own supply store earlier today and they actually had windows for 99 dollars for the basic upgrade. I ask them if thats the final student discount price, they were like yeah. Some student discount that is…

• Stranger

what school do you go to? alot of schools have you go to their “IT” department website and DL it from there. Atleast thats what I’ve seen happen in the past.

• Jive

I go to Diablo Valley College. I was looking on the Microsoft website and they have something called “Authorized Education Resellers,” there are two in the area that i go to school. Would this be what im looking for?

Link(s): §[<http://www.microsoft.com/education/howtobuystudents.mspx<]§ §[<http://www.microsoft.com/education/aerfind.aspx<]§

• leor

you go to diablo valley college???

• Jive

Yeah i do, a bit suprised or something?

• My Johnson

He’s probably shocked anyone would admit going to community college. I guess they don’t realize that CA runs theirs very well.

• MixedPower

$99 for a student _[

• vince

Damn, it’s more expensive than I expected. I guess it’s gonna be Linux next time I reinstall then… I’ve been wanting to try it anyway…

• Sargent Duck

I’ve already thought about this, and have recently formatted my computer, installing a dual boot system. Now’s the time.

• flip-mode

199 for the basic? That’s steeper than an old lady’s t*ts. I’ll be in no hurry to upgrade.

• Inkedsphynx

Yea, that’s the exact same price as XP Home. So why is Vista suddenly so expensive?

Keep in mind, these are RETAIL prices, not OEM prices, which should be what…. 100$ cheaper?

• Beomagi

it IS more expensive – I got retail versions of pro for $200.

• Inkedsphynx

§[<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837116193<]§ I obviously am mistaken. 199.00 != 199.00 *rolls eyes* Now that we've learned to read, I did happen to notice on Newegg that professional was 20$ cheaper than Vista Business. I'm not personally concerned over 20$, but whatever.

• A_Pickle

True, but… the prices are pretty expensive. I’m inclined to agree with Paul Thurrott in that, this was a good time for Microsoft to really lighten up it’s act and lower prices for it’s operating system to maybe dissuade the notion that they’re a monopoly.

But they didn’t. They’re definitely excercising the muscle that they have as a near-monopoly. Apple, please open your OS to the PC platform…