Phantom Lapboard to launch in November

Phantom Entertainment, the company previously known as Infinium Labs, finally intends to ship its first product soon. Gizmodo says the company has revealed that it will introduce its Phantom Lapboard wireless keyboard and mouse combo some time next month at a retail price of $129.95. Users can already order the Lapboard from Phantom’s online store, and pre-orders are eligible for a $30 rebate via the “GODIGITAL” coupon code.

Phantom’s Lapboard combines a keyboard, laser mouse, and mouse pad in a single, fairly compact unit that can—as its name suggests—be operated on a user’s lap. The Lapboard received some praise when it was first demonstrated alongside the now-defunct Phantom game console two years ago, but whether it can succeed as an individual product with a $100+ price tag remains to be seen.

• PLASTIC SURGEON

These guys still around?

• link626

ooo ooo oooo! i want one!

not.

whoever is the brains behind the company, is doing a very lousy job. all these crappy ass products that even a retard knows won’t sell.

It’s a bit overpriced, but otherwise looks pretty cool. You could save money by building your own DIY Phantom lapboard: I’ve built one and it’s more comfortable and looks just as professional as the real thing.

• Xylker

STAY AWAY! There’s no way I would be the first one to plunk down money w/ that outfit’s history

• Porkster

If the wireless distance is good, then all you ened is a wireless lcd screen and you could then play your fav games away from the main desktop.

• Snake

…the only problem is that the Lapboard operates on the 2.4gHz band.

Which means interference with 802.11b/g WiFi!! o_O

Not a good idea… O.O

Too bad. Looked interesting otherwise.

• echo_seven

Has anyone ever toyed with the idea of a wireless LCD screen? It seems that if you could do that, you’d be able to completely separate your computer’s processing power from the interface where you use it. That would open up the door for a whole new set of ways to use your computer(e.g. ways to use those idle 2nd/3rd/4th cores).

I was crunching numbers: Really good Wi-Fi connections can handle about 5MB/sec of data. A 60Hz 1280×1024 32-bit screen requires exactly 300MB/sec of raw data.

Now bear in mind that your average 108MB wireless connection normally gives real-world performace figures of 3MB/sec and we’re at a round number.

Current (affordable) wireless technology is only 100 times too slow to work.

Ethernet has jumped from 10Mbit to 1000Mbit in under 10 years, so in 10 years, maybe wireless screens will be commonplace.

• echo_seven

This is true, we’re about 10 years(or more) from a time when we’re able to transmit the full contents of a contents of a `1280×1024 screen wirelessly. Even more likely, given that the minimum “acceptable” resolution for a user keeps moving upwards too, that threshold will be a moving target that will take even longer to reach.

However, MPEG or some kind of compression scheme(ex. Windows Remote Desktop) can still do some useful things for us. It is already possible to stream some DivX movies over 54g wireless; wouldn’t that mean it should be currently possible to transmit an MPEG2 or DivX stream of a 640×480 desktop over wireless? Your wireless LCD panel would just need an embedded MPEG or DivX decoder chip and you’d be good to go.

Granted, there’s going to be quality loss, and you’re looking at a tiny desktop, but suppose you don’t care too much about the former(say, you’re reading a PDF or writing a paper), and you actually wanted the latter? Suppose you attached a little “tablet” to your refrigerator that you just left pointed to the MSN web site so that you could watch news feeds every morning while you ate breakfast? Suppose you have 7 friends over and you wanted to play a quick game of Starcraft or C&C? By this point I don’t think anyone cares about Starcraft graphics, or compression artifacts thereon.

Suppose you want to watch anime from bed, and you don’t want the noise, heat, and possibility of fire that having your desktop in your bedroom brings?

I am very intrigued by this idea of a “local thin client”, and I am thinking of asking this posting this idea in the forums to ask for feedback, unless someone shoots me down in this newspost before I can do so.

• PerfectCr

I’ll believe it when it ship. If it ships.

• BiffStroganoffsky

Hmm, what happens if I cross my legs or if I’m bow-legged? Will it still work? I’m not seeing ‘innovation’ here.

• Xenolith

Same problems are faced by laptop users. Somehow they cope.

I don’t see this product from anyone else… so unique is probably appropriate… rather than innovative. Although I like how it works for righty or lefty. That is probably the most innovative concept here.

• zarkonite

does this mean they’re going to break company policy and ship something?

yeah, right.

• indeego

ergonomic? are they kidding?

Love the highlighted wasd keys. Very helpful to assist me in finding themg{<.<}g

• Xenolith

I like the concept. Problems… 1)Too pricey… 2)Carrys the phantom name.

We need logitech, razer, or even MS to come up with a comparable product for half the price.

• DrDillyBar

$129.95US?!? hahahahaha
    Edit: I’d rather have a 300GB+ HDD

• willyolio

still cheaper than high-end keyboards or mice from logitech

• DrDillyBar

I use a $30 MS Natural Multimedia Keyboard and a $45 MS Optical 3000. (misplaced post, reply to 10)

• willyolio

…and how do you get the idea that they’re trying to sell this thing as some low-to-midrange mouse/kb combo?

• DrDillyBar

I’m sure they think it’s quite high end.

• Snake

What’s the big deal with $129.99? Logitech’s Bluetooth series keyboard & mice combos can be FAR more money than that (the DiNovo), and people seem to be buying them…

• Xylker

Logitech does not have a terrible reputation in the enthusiast community. I am afraid that Phantom Co. does.

• ioport

Preorder from known scam artists? shipping is from Nigeria perhaps?

• ripfire

Aww fu’cryin out lou…. I’m really getting sick of hearing from them. Just make a profit already! (At least some revenue)

• Sargent Duck

That mouse looks like it was dragged out of the 90’s kicking and screaming. I think I’ll stick to my Logitech MX Laser. I’d take my old back up mouse (bought when optical mice first came out, MS Intellimouse) over that anyday.

As for the keyboard, well, I suppose it might be useful if you’re sitting on the couch, or have a media computer upstairs in the living room. Looks too gimmicky though. Something I could see myself laughing at if I ever saw it a friends house (not that I would, friends don’t let friends buy Phantom parts)