Intel, Nvidia to seek ‘strategic partnership’?

Various sources are claiming Intel intends to acquire Nvidia in order to counter AMD’s pending purchase of ATI, but those rumors are the subject of much debate. However, DigiTimes now suggests Intel and Nvidia may tighten their relationship without anything as dramatic as a merger. Word has it in Taiwan that Intel will simply raise its existing stake in Nvidia, which currently stands in the neighborhood of 8-10%. An ensuing “strategic partnership” between the two companies could result in Nvidia shifting focus away from AMD chipsets and instead devoting more of its development resources to integrated graphics chipsets for Intel platforms. DigiTimes’ sources say both Intel and Nvidia are contemplating such a partnership.

• FranzVonPapen

Hey, maybe NVidia will finally make some good Intel chipsets, while AMD gets stuck with the lousy ATI ones. Happy days… Wish it were the other way around.

• Sargent Duck

Don’t like this too much. Want an AMD CPU? Gotta buy ATI mb only. Want an Intel chip? Gotta buy Nvidia only. Choice = zero.

where, oh where is VIA?

• Proesterchen

q[

• Shintai

Surprise me aswell. But on the other hand..its already f*** up. 😛

• totoro

This sounds about right.
    Merger my left buttock.

• StashTheVampede

There is really nothing Nvidia has to offer Intel (beyond IP for a GPU).

• bthylafh

“Mummy, mummy, those dogs are dancing!”

“No, dear, they’re forming a strategic partnership.”

• Buub

This seems to be more “press” than substance. It wasn’t long ago that Intel claimed nVidia was a more serious threat to them than AMD.

I doubt this is going to do anymore than issue a paper tiger threat to AMD/ATI with little real substance.

• StashTheVampede

SLI will be available on Intel chipsets, mark my words you heard it here first.

• albundy

yeah, great news for the consumers from all these basturds that are merging. I smell somthing wicked in the air.

• Jigar

WTF…. If this is true… we will face serious problem of Choice…

• Shintai

I find all these rumours funny. Specially since Intel gonna release a highend GPU in H2/2007. There is no reason to invest in nVidia. And since AMD bought nVidia, nVidia dont have a choice about what they wanna do. They ain´t in a position to play though anymore. And why would Intel want them for IGP, Intel owns the IGP market.

• Krogoth

Nvidia doesn’t even own AMD and the recent AMD/ATI merger probably dissolves the former partnership.

Where are exact details that Intel intents on releasing a “high-GPU”? I had thought the whole deal with IDF was that Intel was shifting gears to adopt the CPU+co-processors scheme.

Anyway, Intel certainly could use some of the Nvidia’s talent and IP to assist their R&D. Nvidia is at a crossroads where discrete GPUs as we known them are coming to an end. C2D’s upset does not help their chipset division as seen with their last-minute response by releasing a Nforce 4.5. They tried to give 975X/P965 SLI support(hacked drivers are proof), but later back-off for no good reason.

• Shintai

Ups, AMD buying ATI ofcourse.

It was up at IDF, aswell as Intel is hiring massive amount of GPU designers. CPU+Coprocessor is still relatively far out in the future.

For the IP, they went PowerVR.

• Smurfer2

Intel may have a “high-end” GPU in the future, but I dunno. If you ask me, standalone GPUs will be here well into the future. I could see GPUs on the CPU die shortly, but I doubt those will be high end. I also wonder if that is even a good thing unless they somehow keep it so you can add and remove the GPU at will.

• JokerCPoC

I think You meant AMD bought ATi, Not AMD bought Nvidia.