Sony to stop making consumer monitors

One of the world’s best-known monitor manufacturers will soon pull out of the consumer monitor market altogether. Heise Online reports that Sony has now stopped marketing monitors in North America and Japan, and that the company intends to ship its last monitors to “specialized dealers” in Europe in December. Slim profit margins and low growth rates for Sony’s LCD monitor business have pushed the company to forsake the consumer monitor segment, but it will continue to make professional displays for customers in fields like broadcasting, medical technology, and video surveillance. Sony was the world’s 10th largest monitor manufacturer last year, having sold 100-110 million LCDs worldwide. That figure is expected to hit 130 million this year.

• MadManOriginal

RIP Trinitron, although they’ve been dead for some time already since they haven’t been made for a while.

• absinthexl

I’d like my Sony monitors more if they had replaceable video cables. I’ve had to solder new cables into both of them because of damage (I move them around a lot).

• d0g_p00p

I owned a GDM-E500 21″ and the 24″ GDM-FW900. both were excellent CRT monitors. I have since moved to LCD displays, however Sony made the best CRT tubes on the planet. RIP…

• kvndoom

I woulda killed for a GDM-FW900. I never could have afforded one back in the day though.

Sony is just cutting out its low-profit and loss-based business segments to focus on its heavily profitable ventures, like the Playstation 3.

Oh, wait…

• Vrock

#6, Sony’s LCDs may have been overpriced, but their CRTs were really top notch. I’ve a 6 year old 19″ GDM-PS400 on my desk right now, and I’ll be keeping it until it explodes. Maybe by then SED displays will be on the market and I can skip the great compromise that is the LCD.

• blastdoor

Yes, Sony’s CRTs were pretty impressive. I had a 17″ Sony Trinitron monitor back in the mid 1990s — it was pricey, but it was worth it.

It’s funny to think there was a time when the Sony brand really carried a lot of weight.

• Krogoth

How are LCDS considered to be a great compromise? CRTs for all practical purposes have become niche and are techincally obsolete. The only reason to get one is when color accuracy is #1 priority. The response time for most current LCDs models these days are quick enough for the visual cortex to perceive as smooth, fluidic motion.

I was once a die-hard CRT supporter, but my Sansumg 940B’s performance has convinced me.

• flip-mode

Death to Sony – to format wars and overpriced electronics, and to but-ugly computer cases.

• dolemitecomputers

I’ve had one of their E540 monitors for a few years now and it has worked very well for me.

• MixedPower

y[

• Dposcorp

To # 3&4:

On the one hand, I have 4+ year 24″ Sony GDM-FW900, that has been and still is awsome.

On the other hand, I just got a Dell 2007.

I am both happy and sad; I know time moves on, but damn, both these monitors rocked at the original time in space when they first came out.

• Taddeusz

The only reason Sony monitors are probably so low of a profit margin is that nobody in their right mind would pay the price they are asking for them unless they are total Sony zealots. Their LCD’s are quite a bit more expensive than a comparable model from other companies. It’s no wonder they’re making so little profit on them. You can’t make profit if you can’t sell them.

So, what it looks like they’re doing is taking the rest of their stock out of the consumer market and putting it into markets that regularly buy stuff for more than it’s really worth. Great move.

• flybywire

Their monitors were overpriced anyway. Give me a Dell lcd monitor anyday.

• muyuubyou

Dell doesn’t make monitors. Dell rebrands monitors.

• Severus

Sony don’t make LCDs either, they rebrand them.

• muyuubyou

Yep, but they used to do monitors. CRTs are still superior for some uses. It’s just the end of the CRT for home usage or so it seems.

• MadManOriginal

So do most companies selling LCDs and that’s the problem, there’s no patented superior technology advantage that I know of to make a company stand out.

• ThelvynD

Well considering it’s losing nearly a quarter of this year’s profits on just that massive battery recall alone. It’s just gotta cut costs from a low profit margin market like that.

• Lord.Blue

Sony just seems to be trying to lower its cash flow any way that it can….