Channel facing AMD processor shortages?

Despite AMD’s increased output thanks to Fab 36 and production from Chartered, Dell’s recent adoption of AMD processors may be taking its toll on the chipmaker’s supply. The guys at The Inquirer say they have heard a number of reports about shortages of AMD’s Athlon 64 and Athlon 64 X2 processors in the distribution channel.

We received e-mails from distributors spreaded [sic] across the globe that AMD cannot supply them with enough dual-core CPUs ordered by computer assembly stores. AMD is not supplying the channel and the channel is getting the hump. Many are asking how they can achieve Q4 sales targets if they’re unable to get the CPUs in normal or higher quantities. Some are even mentioning Dell, comparing it to a black hole which eats all AMD can churn out.

Speaking of Dell, The Inq has also gotten its hands on a brochure for an upcoming AMD-based business desktop from Dell. Dubbed OptiPlex 740, the machine looks like it will be available in either desktop or mid-tower form factors with Athlon 64 or Athlon 64 X2 processors, Nvidia integrated graphics with DVI output, PCI Express x16 graphics expansion, a Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet controller, and remote power management features.

• beetlebud

Just got a message from one of my suppliers, with info from Acer, that they cannot ship some notebooks because of AMD chip shortages.

I wonder if the kahootz between Dell and Intel might have devised this plan all along? (my conspiracy theory of the day)

• Proesterchen

I wonder how much of the current situation is simply about limited capacity mixed with the considerable increase in average die size courtesy of a higher percentage of dual-cores shipped.

• Shintai

Theinq actually did a little research about this:

§[<http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35004<]§ Impossible to find things like X2 5000+. However, OEMs dont seem to have the same troubles. So its easy to see who gets shafted in the future. In Denmark the X2 5000+ is in backorder in all shops at all companies. 8-27days for those even writing a date on when they expect them back. None of them got a single one.

• Austin

l[<:o(<]l I didn't have the money to get A64-X2 for my 939 when the prices fell and now availability is short and prices have gone up as a result (£95-120). So now I'm tempted to save up another £40 and just go all out for C2D, AM2 is too pointless. Ironically it's nVidia's lack of a good SLI C2D chipset which is the biggest chink in C2D's armour. Come on AMD, get it together or you will be deserted.

• lemonhead

I credit the price cuts, i jumped when the X2 prices fell. Conroe looks nice, but it was cheaper for me to stick with my 939 board.

• DrDillyBar

Here’s a twist. AMD’s lawsuit against intel reQ’s AMD to offer the Chips at the same price to all, Dell and others alike.

• IntelMole

Since when?

The deal that Intel “supposedly” did (and, let’s be honest, this isn’t much of a secret) is to offer preferntial pricing to companies with razor-thin margins (i.e. they had to take the offer), in order that they badly stock the competition to some degree. In Dell’s case, nothing at all. In others, some other form of making life difficult for AMD.

Offering preferntial pricing for any other reason is legal. The lawsuit has nothing to do with that.

• DrDillyBar

12 truckloads surrounding assembly plants takes Stock. Dell, as I understand it, pays based on entry, not arrival.

• MixedPower

y[<...Athlon 64 or Athlon 64 X2 processors, Nvidia integrated graphics with DVI output...<]y I'm a little surprised it's not ATI graphics, but I guess Dell would be calling the shots here.

• mesyn191

Good for AMD, sucks a little if you can only go to a local shop though I guess. Seems to be plenty of them still available @ the online retailors.

• fishyuk

Don’t discount HP in this. They’ve had a much longer relationship and the dx5150 (dx denotes SMB despite very high corporate sales) has moved to a full corporate dc SKU (dc5750) for AM2. I’ve seen HP very keen to push this given that the dx5150 opened their eyes on the desktop (they were opened far sooner on the server range of course).