Firefox 2.0 released

After a premature showing on Tuesday, Mozilla has officially released version 2.0 of its Firefox web browser. The official version—the U.S. English one for Windows, at least—is the very same that popped up on Mozilla’s FTP servers on Tuesday, and it’s also the same build that was released as Firefox 2.0 Release Candidate 3 last week. As before, the new browser brings enhancements like a new visual interface, phishing protection, better tabbed browsing, better RSS feed support, and built-in spell checking. Release notes for the official 2.0 release can be viewed here, and the browser can be downloaded from Mozilla’s main Firefox page. Mozilla has also revamped its Firefox add-ons and support sites for the occasion.

• Ethyriel

I love the new layout of the preferences, and the consolidation of the extensions/themes. Really, all the interface changes are great. The one thing that could be better is on the tabs’ close buttons, I don’t like how the disappear when you have too many tabs open. I’d rather lose the site’s icon, myself.

But, the new interface is UGLY. I wish they’d just go back to qute, already. I can’t wait for it to be released for 2.0

• jeffry55

I like the new look of 2.0 and it works! Happy browsing.

• Stijn

When I checked for updates using the Help menu in Firefox, I didn’t get any results. However, when I went to the Firefox website, I saw the Dutch version of Firefox 2.0 was already available.. Weird..

• anand

This has the same build date as RC2 – 20061010. Any know for sure if they are the same? Autoupdate never picked up anything on RC2 but I’m not sure if that’s been turned on yet for this new release.

• cRock

I’m pretty impressed by 2.0. They layout seems cleaner and prettier to me. The spell check is very nice in webmail and comment postings like this one. I’m sure there are a lot of improvements under the skin too.

Congrats Firefox team – you’ve done real good.

• indeego

Firefox Setup 2.0.exe -ms

wait 15 seconds
    No reboots.
    No preferences to fill outg{<.<}g Done.

• Flowboy

No preferences. That’ll be an automatic default for the Google search engine then?

• indeego

What are you talking aboutg{

• Flowboy

Google suing MS because they wanted to be on the search bar.

• indeego

I’m Still lost.

In firefox and IE my search defaults are google. We removed Google toolbar because of IE7’s inclusion of itg{<.<}g

• nookie

only thing that bugs me is that when i have lots of tabs open it doesnt try to fit them all on the window but leaves out a few on the side, like a scrolling bar, then i have to click the arrow button to view them all everytime… -_-

• apsog33

I’m pretty sure you can change that. Search google for “editing the userChrome.css”.
      I hated the flexible search bar at first and I was able to change it to a fixed one without too much trouble.

• Ricardo Dawkins

…spell check in a browser…uh ?

• BiffStroganoffsky

They probably got tired of seeing all the l33t speak postings. Hah…it caught leet and hah but not l33t.

• morphine

I thought the same too, but after starting to use it, I bless it. I’ve avoided a few spelling mistakes since I started using it. Now if it’d only fix grammar… 🙂

• steelcity_ballin

Not that spell check wasn’t available through 3rd party add ons in ie 6 or FF and what not, but this is just nice. It’s not the best spell checked, but it has all the support I need and it does a decent job.

• d2brothe

Now all I need is spellcheck for MSN so that I can see how bad I really am..