Windows Media Player 11 now available

Less than a couple of weeks after introducing the next version of Internet Explorer, Microsoft has struck again with the official launch of Windows Media Player 11. The new media player software dons a new user interface straight out of Windows Vista—no coincidence, since WMP11 will be included in Vista by default—as well as a number of new features and improvements. Among those additions is the inclusion of Urge, the music store love child of Microsoft and MTV, together with better management features for music, videos, and pictures, and enhanced synchronization support for PlaysForSure portable media players.

Windows Media Player 11 can be downloaded here, although it’s only available for versions of Windows XP with Service Pack 2 installed. Only those with genuine copies of the operating system need apply, too.

• Clones123

Note that Microsoft removed the ability to backup/restore DRM licenses in WMP11. So what, I’m supposed to buy the same favorite songs over again each time I reinstall my OS? No – assuming I haven’t crashed the OS completely, I have to rollback to WMP10, backup my DRM licenses and then remember to restore my DRM licenses before upgrading to WMP11 on the next install! No thanks – I like the look and overall functionality of the updated version but it’s not worth the hassles to work around the DRM license limitations.

• Ricardo Dawkins

wooot…clicked wrong side on FF

• kvndoom

Man, I really gotta buy XP again. I lost my legal copy a couple years ago and have been running bootleg since. Most updates I don’t care about, but a few things I’d like to try. I guess next time I have to reinstall, I’ll just buy an OEM copy (not from ebay, though. ๐Ÿ˜› )

• Disco

I already have WMP10. Do I just install this overtop, or should I uninstall #10 first?

• indeego

Install on top. Make sure you have system restore enabled so you can roll back if you need tog{<.<}g

• Disco

thanks for the info

• indeego

This crashes on my machine when I double click on songnames in the “library” list about 4/10 times. Shame because WMP 10 for playing mp3’s was my preferred player, even over Media Player Classic (which is my preferred for video)g{<.<}g

• Retiky

WMP11 adds only modestly to WMP10. The eyecandy, and kinda-modern look are fine, but at the expence a great deal of customization? No thank you.

WMP9 to WMP10 was an upgrade. This is a step backwards.

• d2brothe

I disagree, the added functionality to the library function, in terms of eye candy is important, its muche easier to organize and display albums, while it may not be a huge addition in terms of features, it is far superior to the library of WMP10.

• Retiky

I’m not speaking on library functions in that form really. I’m speaking on general “tidbit” options that allow for a full customized experience. Example: In WMP10, you can set it to ad any song to the temp play list by double clicking on the song. A small feature indeed, but something simple and natural. In WMP11, like WMP10, you can’t do it by default, but in WMP10 you can set it to do this.

I know this is a small gripe, but I feel it serves to explain how I feel about all of WMP11. It seems that many options have been stripped in the same sense. Of coarse, if I’ve simply missed the “Options you can’t find easily” section of the Tools menu, I’ll concede my ignorance.

I really shouldn’t ramble like this, everything I’ve said here is better explained in a couple of forum’s I wrote awhile back, here if you care to read.

ยง[< http://www.techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44137< ]ยง and... ยง[<http://www.techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44153<]ยง

• d2brothe

Well…you could be right, I haven’t looked specifically at the differences, (although I did notice some changes in the sych/burn options, that were somewhat counterintuitive) I was more struck by the huge improvements in the media library…I just more wanted to point out that while some things have changed for the worse, there are significant improvements in some areas. I mean, its MS, I’d say this is a very good product in terms of what we’ve seen in the past sometimes…I’ve yet to have it crash

• Retiky

I guess I also failed to mention that my experience has only been with beta 2. Apologies ofcoarse if any of the issues I’ve fumed about have been fixed. I’ll have to download and check out the final product later today.

• Shintai

I like it! ๐Ÿ™‚

• slot_one

heh. No IE7 or WMP11 for me. ๐Ÿ˜›

• sativa

why not IE7? i don’t like it that much but its way better than 6 in my opinion.

• Stijn

I only use IE when necessary, but IE7 is indeed way better then version 6.
        WMP11 is also nice, but in the future I’ll probably use SongBird

• mikehodges2

Me neither ๐Ÿ˜‰

• SGT Lindy

It works great…has worked great since the beta was released.

Tomorrow the Xbox 360 gets its fall update. If you have WMP11 you can now stream video to the 360 with out having Windows XP Media Center Edition.

• Stijn

I thought it also worked with the Media Connect software for non-media center editions?

• SGT Lindy

Windows Media Player 11, Zune, and Windows Media Connect
        Part of the change to the streaming story is the addition of Windows Media Player 11 and Zune

• kfc

I use VLC\MPC, so why the fuck should I care?

• jobodaho

If it need not apply to you, then why reply to it? So you can use bad language and not get sensored? Just a waste.

• SGT Lindy

So he can run his trash mouth….honestly if you dont have anything constructive to say…..go away.

• d2brothe

Well clearly, its quite important to you…if not for WMP11 being released you wouldn’t be able to post that…I mean seriously…hearing that changes everything, congrats on a most useless post…
      </sarcasm> (incase ur as slow as you sound)

• herothezero

q[

• Austin

l[<:o0<]l Most enlightened folk prefer to avoid Ms' own tools such as IE7 and WMP11 so requiring 'Genuine' for them seems like a dumb-a$$ move to me. *[

• stmok

Hey, its their products…They can do whatever they want with them.
      But they better be aware of the consequences of their actions!

People don’t like to be led to an overly restricted situation. There’s only so much they can take before they leave, simply because of fustration and annoyance.

• Madman

I now think twice before installing any spy ware on my PC and I definitely see a lot of people moving towards Firefox, BSPlayer, Winamp and such because of WGA. Can’t say there is something to regret though ๐Ÿ™‚

At least I feel much safer that BSPlayer, Winamp is not spying on my music listening habits and such like WMP seems to… unless you fire up gpedit.msc and disable every darn option it has.

• swaaye

oops. meant to reply

• maxxcool

Just gimme Winamp-esq media players please. simple easy and fast.

• swaaye

Too bad that the most WMV-capable media player seems to be Windows Media Player. Otherwise, I strongly recommend Media Player Classic (no, it’s not the old MS one).

• maxxcool

yeah, that do-dad comes with the k-lite codec pack, it plays *everyhting* it seems like ๐Ÿ˜‰ even crap that nero, wmp10 and power dvd chokes on.

• swaaye

Actually if you pair up Media Player Classic with FFDSHOW, you can play anything even without a codec pack. Those codec packs can cause troubles.

• maxxcool

Yeah i have had issues with power dvd-5 freaking out after loading both mediaconcepts and power-dvds on the same box. but after a format it seemed to work ok.

I just need the codec pack for SAGE-TV to get better mpeg qualitity as the default render doesnt antalias and makes animee / cartoons look like ass ;).

Fddshow has been a long time favorite, hell i had ot running on a celeron 600 playing xvid videos out to my old tv years ago…

• adisor19

VLC for teh win !

Plays everything i’ve ever thrown at it AND is multi platform ๐Ÿ™‚

Adi

• Jigar

i agree VLC is the best there is… forget the eyecandy.. i dont care at all.

• DrDillyBar

Winamp has a good simple interface. But where it fails me in Video playback (tendancy to crash) VLC media player takes up the slack.

• A_Pickle

VLC has a pitiful full-screen interface.

There was a time, during Windows Media Player 11 Beta 1, when I could play any file from there. Between WMP11’s advanced indexing, intelligent sorting methods, and library features, I thought I had finally gotten the media player/codec pack that I could use and truly enjoy.

Then Beta 2 came out, and I happily upgraded, ruining everything. I can’t play my FRAPS videos, I can’t play my CamStudio recordings… it’s misery.