PhysX prices drop, game bundles coming

Ageia appears to have a couple of tricks up its sleeve to boost demand for its PhysX physics processors for the holiday season rush. For one, X-bit labs has noticed that Ageia partners have dropped the prices of their PhysX cards. The cards hit stores with price tags around the $299 mark earlier this year. However, as our price search engine can attest, one can now purchase a PhysX card for less than $200 at some stores. Newegg, for example, is offering an Asus PhysX card with 128MB of RAM for $199.99 after an instant rebate.

In addition to an apparent price cut, Ageia has also announced a promotion where “key e-tailers” including Mwave, Newegg, and ZipZoomFly will bundle PhysX cards with three full games worth a total of over $100. The titles in question will be City of Villains, Bet on Soldier: Blood of Sahara, and Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, all of which have support for PhysX hardware acceleration.

• kilkennycat

Forget the Ageia PPU. Put the money saved towards a nVidia 8800-series video-card (or two or three in SLI-mode) and get a physics compute-engine thrown in. Expect to see DX10 games with an additional option slider saying “physics-realism” where frame-rate can be effectively traded-off against physics compute cycles on the video-card(s).

See the excellent and technically-detailed Anandtech article on the 8800-family:-

§[<http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2870<]§

• d2brothe

I agree with most of the arguments, here, but I had an interesting thought, if the card is just a general purpose processor, could it not be used for other things?

• Sargent Duck

ATi a couple months back announced their “stream” computing. Essentially, take a x1900 and make it as a general purpose processor. AMD has taken over that now. So the idea has already been launched. And a x1900 card will beat the living snot out of an Aegia card, for only a few dollars more.

• d2brothe

I would agree that ATI has beat them to it, but I really don’t think any conclusions in terms of performance should be made, I mean, your probably right, but stream computing is a whole different ball game. But I was also refering to other uses it may have, like…would it be possible for it to run simulations, ray tracing, or do video encoding, something like that. Something that you can’t currently do on a video card. I mean, I think there would be some market at least for a reasonably priced general accellerator card. I mean, yes, CPUs are increasing in power, but if it offered a signficant enough performance advantage, people would buy it.

• _Shorty

waste of time and money. As others have already stated, multi-core CPUs will do just fine. Maybe 5 years ago…

• srg86

To me the Ageia PhysX has got S3 ViRGE written all over it, the first in its breed but will be engulfed by others that will do the same job better. Then I think its also got Voodoo 2 written all over it as well, this sounds like the sort of thing to me that will eventually become another unit inside the GPU.

• MadManOriginal

An idea before its time with not enough applications. By the time it becomes ‘needed’ additional CPU cores will have the task covered. Still, it would have been nice to see this done with graphics cards…buy an x1650xt or x1900pro in Q307 for $100-150 and get multi-monitor setup for running office stuff and physics for games, graphics cards as add-on physics accelerators seemed to be a good and useful solution to me. Probably won’t happen because of multi core CPUs though.

• wof

It would be nice if these Cyril stories were colored differently than the real articles to make it easier to filter out all the noise.

I’m not saying that Cyril’s reporting is bad. It’s just that the main thing with TR is the excellent reviews and they need to stand out more.

Edit: oops typo

• indeego

I tend to agree. TR’s articles do have their logo emblazened within the front page text. For people that might visit the site every once in a while, I doubt they would have any idea just glancing through the text what is an article of TR’s and what is typical newsg{<.<}g

• wulfher

#21, I agree totally

But i will wait what way game devs will go, asap quad cores are available with reasonable prices then i guess a separate physics processors isn’t necessary anymore. All depends an the Game devs

• chakhay2000

Ageia has to show phenomenal improvement in rendering speed of games with physics effects or effects that just blow you away and simply aren’t possible without hardware physics acceleration. If they can’t do that, they might as well bury any hopes of their Physx card getting off the ground.

• DrDillyBar

I’ll maybe get one around the time of the release of Unreal Tournament. I still think they have the proper hardware to impliment their API. So, improvement. And PCIe x1 really should be an option.
    Edit: I really don’t want to devote GPU time to physics if it can be offloaded to another PCI device. Network’s built in and with Sound not PCIe yet, something has to take the plunge. I’ve got more free PCIe slots with SLI/Crossfire then PCI.

• Spyder22446688

I hope PhysX cards never take off. Last thing I want is yet another piece of hardware to buy. I would just rather see multicore CPUs and fast GPUs pickup the load. I would also rather see programmers continue to write efficient code to take advantage of CPUs and GPUs instead of having to write code to take advantage of yet another add-in card that some people might have, other people might not have.

Re-hash of all your arguments, I know. But it felt good to type.

• adisor19

Let me guess a Model M user ? 😉

Adi

• Da_Boss

Well I for one hope they do take off, and this is the first good step in the right direction that they’ve taken in a while. Don’t get me wrong though, they still have a long way to go. $300 was nuts. Hell, i think $200 is pretty bad too at this time.

But maybe at $150-$175, with a much better choice of games in terms of quality and quantity, and better performance in those games? I’d probably do it…

• indeego

Prices dropping so soon after intro tells us it was way overpriced, and isn’t selling like they’d thought.

Who cares about the holidays, people are going to focus on consoles, not PC, especially with vista around the cornerg{<...<}g

• Zenith

Under $100, PCIe 1x support, and some A rated games is about the only thing left that could save this product. I’m not even paying $200 for my graphics card this holiday season. I’ve never paid $200 for a graphics card. And I’ve only recently paid more than $200 for a single Non-RAM PC Component.

• kvndoom

100$, PCI express, and more game support would make this a good deal. 200$ is still too much.

don’t care about the bundle.. those might be the only 3 games that ever use it, for all we know. Pledges from devs on future A-grade titles would help tremendously.

• Darkmage

Have you checked out Ageia’s web site? They list several upcoming games that will support the PhysX card, including the A-list game UT2007.

• Wajo

It was unlucky for Ageia that intel and AMD decided to ramp multicore processors as fast as they did (especially intel).

• Freon

Either that or a short-sighted business plan.

I just don’t see PhysX becoming successful.

It’s not just CPU already stomping on physics processing territory, its the GPU as well.

• SGT Lindy

Wow…$199 to much….unless they throw in a Killer NIC for free.

• Corrado

Since when does TR post ads for Ageia?

• Freon

I think it is more of a humorous story. Point and laugh at a flawed business idea.

• lethal

this is more like watching a slow motion accident… on the other hand I just wish TR stopped posting each time -[

• absinthexl

a slow motion accident with real-time explosion dynamics, fire, smoke, and debris effects not possible with current-generation processors

• Zenith

That depends entirely on the level of detail. A lot of tricks can be done with DX shaders, avoiding the use of millions of extra particles and polygons.

• dmitriylm

Oh im sorry, I guess they forgot to tell you that the news is no longer catered specifically to you.

• zimpdagreene

I agree.Still to much to late………..

• Bensam123

This is nice but I will still will wait for a PCI-E variant.

• albundy

just as useful as the mighty Killer or soon to be killed NIC from BFG.

• droopy1592

After seeing them use the extra cores in the quad (and dual) core processor to render physics in the Allen Wake game, I doubt anyone will ever want to buy these cards.

I’d rather go quad core than fill up a slot with something I can only use on games.

• Shintai

Well, they just need to slash another 100$ and then some 25-50$ more 😛

• robg1701

Too little too late ? Despite the drop id still never consider getting one having seen the relatively poor resulting changes. I know thats largely down to the fact developers cant make game altering changes since noone has the PhysX cards but still, and with so much interest in GPU physics it dosnt look good for the PPU. Also, the bundle would have been a better deal back when the games were new, but now….