Skype founders’ TV-killer examined

Niklas Zennström and Janus Friis, the two entrepreneurs behind KaZaA and Skype, have been hard at work on their next killer service for a while now. Known as The Venice Project, the service is a streaming, peer-to-peer platform for video content that is poised as means to do to television what Skype did to telephony. Details about The Venice Project have until now been somewhat scarce, but bloggers at GigaOM have managed to get a quick inside look at the service courtesy of one of its beta testers. They say that just like Skype, the Venice Project software is easy to install and use, and that the streaming video quality is “stunning and crisp.” They’ve posted some screenshots of the interface, too. Thanks to Gizmodo for the tip.

• Bill Clo

I think he’s talking about bandwidth from the servers streaming the video, not the receiving end.

• MadManOriginal

Well in the US we b[

• SuperSpy

Exactly, it saddens me when I can’t get a quality service with large amounts of bandwidth, or heaven forbid, a usable upstream (terminal services, anyone?)

Everything else about computers has sped up by a factor of at least 2 in the past 5 years, but the best connection I can get without taking out a second mortgage is still 768k / 4M.

• Krogoth

The USA is a lot more vast then networks in western Europe, Japan, eastern China and South Korea.

It takes time for the telecommunication companies to laydown all the fiber wiring to various neighborhoods and so forth. Verizon in my area is steady providing FIOS service to nearby towns it is only a matter of time before service is avaiable in my area.

• Fighterpilot

Awesome…Skype is a totally kickass app…..if they can get this to work it will be huge.Those guys rock!
    Lots of people have the bandwidth….here in Asia 50Mbps is fairly common.Im getting 24Mbps thruput 24/7 for $30 a month right now.
    That oughta be enough I would think.

• sigher

Skype is no longer owned by the people that make this TV thing, they finance it from the money they made from selling skype, so I’m not sure to which you refer when you say kickass.
      Plus the present skype censors chinese chat which is only possible when they have technology reading along with private conversations, but that’s ebay’s skype not the old one I guess. that’s at least not something I’d call kickass.

• Bill Clo

I agree that the bandwidth will be a problem. As an example, I’ve repeatedly tried to watch some TV episodes’s streaming video on CBS’s website. I get constant pauses while the player “buffers”. To the point where I wait 2-3 minutes, get 10 seconds of video, repeat. But the commercials seem to be on a seperate server and have a timer, so I get regular commercials mixed in with maybe 30 seconds of actual show viewed. EXTREMELY ANNOYING to the point where I gave up on CBS. Utterly unwatchable.

Execs seem to always underestimate the bandwidth needed to keep the customers happy.

• albundy

WOW, you watch CBS? Their ratings would plummet without you! LOL!

• PrincipalSkinner

These guys are really full of good ideas. Only problem with this one will be bandwith. Not many people will be able to use it.

• Peldor

And video is about the content anyway, not just service.

• sigher

About 2Mbit (±250Kb/s) is enough for a full TV resolution, I think that you’ll find that an astounding number of people have that bandwidth.
      In countries in western europe it’s easy more than 50% of the household nowadays probably.