Core 2 Quad Q6600 to launch at just $531?

Word got out yesterday that Intel plans to launch its quad-core Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor at CES next week. Previous rumors claimed that the chip would cost $851 at launch and drop down to $530 in the second quarter of this year. As it turns out, though, Intel may end up skipping the higher figure altogether. X-bit labs says “several media reports” claim that the Core 2 Quad Q6600 will launch at $531, just $1 more than Intel’s 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo E6700.

The Core 2 Quad Q6600 will reportedly be clocked at 2.4GHz with 8MB of total cache and a 1066MHz front-side bus. If those specs are genuine, the chip may outperform the E6700 in multi-threaded applications that can take advantage of more than two cores. The Q6600 will presumably be slower in other tasks because of its lower clock speed, however.

• moose17145

Would still like to see a quad core at about 300~400 or so, but come summer time this may be my only choice when i look into building a new PC. Hopefully this one will follow that path the quad 6700 has taken. From what i see on newegg it is selling at 1000 bucks right now, below the 1100 mark intel set for it (at least that was my understanding that it was supposed to retail for 1100 if you followed the intel price suggestions)

• JokerCPoC

Someone is trying to sell one on ebay right nwo, for $1,120.43(Buy It Now) plus $7.99 shipping. Auction says they have 49 available now too.

ยง[< http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150078187938&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005<]ยง

• Ardrid

Oh, I’m so tempted to ask the buyer a question and see if they put it on the listing ๐Ÿ™‚

• JokerCPoC

The guy must think somebody will buy those at that price, I wouldn’t, not when their supposed to be the less expensive version. As the QX6700 can be had for somewhat less…..

• MadManOriginal

If it launches at $500-ish ๐Ÿ˜ฎ It will kill the value of my e6600 but that’s progress for you.

• flip-mode

Well, don’t buy hardware for value, buy for utility. But I know just how you feel.

• MadManOriginal

Oh. I’m not complaining exactly. And yes I badly needed a new computer and of course I knew this would happen sooner or later and C2Ds have been out for a good while now. I probably should have gone with an e6400 which was my original plan all along but I impulsively jumped on a slight deal sale for the e6600.

• mesyn191

Not bad but still to pricey IMO. Still gonna wait for at least K8L to come out before I consider buying any quad core, competition and a die shrink should get prices still lower within ~6-8 months and my e6300 @ 2.8Ghz runs anything I’ve got flat out in the mean time…

• Krogoth

I am more then satisfied with my E6300 @ 3.0Ghz. Quad-core is just flat-out overkill for non-professional uses. I would rather wait for K8L or Nehalem before jumping onto quad-core bandwagon.

• moshpit

I’m excited! Already have my quad core ready bios installed and am patiently awaiting the release of this chip. Supreme Commander with the ability to run stuff in the background here I come ๐Ÿ˜€

SC totally dominates my E6600, both cores stay mighty busy with peaks in the 91% range, leaving too little left for much else.

• Krogoth

That is very odd, Supreme Commander hardly uses the second core on my C2D. I even tried turning off F@H and was disappointed that SC only used 52% of my C2D (100% for CPU1, 2-5% for CPU2).

• Kurlon

Crud, I’m on a 1.83ghz CD now (MBP) and looking at building a box around an E6600 specifically FOR Supreme Commander… I have to look for bigger?! : )

• Krogoth

SC will work fine as most games rarely involve the use of 1500-2000 units at one time. I had use “Sandbox” mode to see how far I can push my system. Even with 1500-2000 units the frame rate dip around 15-20FPS (1280×1024, max details, 4xAA).

• StashTheVampede

Alan Wake couldn’t be here sooner with quad chips these prices.

• LoneWolf15

Since Alan Wake has been delayed, it’s likely that this chip will be far less by the time the game gets here. Think I’d hold off until then, if your current rig does ya fine on what’s available.

• StashTheVampede

It’s all about a price point for “my” needs. I’m not spending more than $200 for a CPU or GPU. When a quad hits $200 and I need a new CPU, I’ll consider it as a solution.

• d2brothe

Well…I’m all smilies here. Hopefully that means by the time I get around to upgrading it should be close to my price range. I got the 840 D for around 100 CND. Gotta love clearence prices.

• Shinare

[H]ardOCP is reporting that the Q6600 will be available monday:

ยง[< http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjMzNzIsLCxobmV3cywsLDE=<]ยง

• PRIME1

$500!!!! Crap….I gotta go lock up my wallet and credit cards.

I was dead set on a E6600 for my new build…..but…..quad…..core…..so…..very…..tempting.

• Krogoth

It seems to me that Q6600s are just sub-par Xeon yields. Who knows their overclocking potential they should at very least hit 3.0Ghz, but you would need good cooling for it.

• TheDVDMan

Aquagate Mini, $65 ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• Saribro

:'(
    What’s keeping the $100 Core 2 chips? :/

• coldpower27

They are due to arrive in Q3 2007.

• astrotech66

I think I just found my new CPU for Folding …

• kvndoom

Wow, by the time I outgrow my single-core A64, there’ll probably be 8 and 16 core CPUs in the mainstream. Thank goodness for small needs!

• pepys

Is this what I need for a gaming rig?

• TheDVDMan

An E6700 may be better. But given the cost, get one and OC it ๐Ÿ™‚

Plus, Crysis & Alan Wake are made to use dual core & up…

• continuum

E6700’s clock speed advantage, plus the performance hit from 2 additional cores on the same constricted memory bus, mean it’s probably better.

But quad cores are still so sexy. :-p

• Proesterchen

Introducing the Q6600 at well below twice the price of the E6600 would be a very good move!
    (and would also suggest better than projected volumes of QCs)

• TheDVDMan

Hmm…if true, I may just have to get one…but man, for that price I could get another Glock…

• indeego

But you could shoot someone with a Glockg{

• TheDVDMan

Aww, I wouldn’t do that!

Really…

๐Ÿ˜‰

• king_kilr

Overclocking anyone!

• Delphis

So, if we have a dual socket motherboard we can have 8 cores? .. lovely.

Seriously nice idea for a Linux server.

Ooh.. and the terabyte hard drives too? Holy cow.

• UberGerbil

No, these chips are single socket only. For a two socket board you need a Core2 Xeon (aka Woodcrest) and the quadcore versions of those (Cloverton, Xeon 5300) has been available for a couple of months now. Don’t forget your FB-DIMM memory for those.

• RickyG512