Apple announces the iPhone

Apple’s iPhone. Source: Apple.

Much like rumors about the AMD-ATI merger, which persisted for months before the announcement, rumors about Apple’s iPhone have been discussed by rumor sites and analysts alike for the better part of last year. Well, as expected, Apple unveiled its iPod phone during the Macworld keynote this morning. The device is rather striking, sporting a 3.5″ wide-screen display and no keypad of any kind. Instead, the iPhone—as it is indeed called—is operated by finger gestures via an interface Apple has dubbed “multi-touch.”

The iPhone runs a version of MacOS X and can do a host of different things, from the expected phone and music-playing features to playing TV shows, keeping track of multiple SMS conversations, surfing the web with a stripped-down version of Apple’s Safari browser, snapping photos with the built-in camera, and more. Apple has even partnered with Google to integrate Google Maps with the device.

On the nitty-gritty side of things, the iPhone sports a 3.5″ 320×480 display, 4GB or 8GB of storage capacity, Wi-Fi, EDGE, and Bluetooth 2.0 connectivity, and a 2.0 megapixel camera. The integrated battery allows for up to 16 hours of audio playback and five hours of phone calls, video playback, or browsing. And despite all those features, the iPhone weighs in at just 135g (4.8 ounces) with a thickness of 11.6mm (0.46 inches.)

Apple has selected Cingular as its sole network provider for the phone. The device will become available in June from both Cingular and Apple stores at prices of $499 for the 4GB version and $599 for its 8GB sibling. Both prices are assuming two-year Cingular contracts.

• wulfher

And i just bought a Qtek 9000 PDA, well looks like i must have one of this baby’s too 🙂

Cisco go go go

• Ryu Connor

q[

• Proesterchen

If you knew about the validity of Wikipedia, why did you choose to link it instead of the original source?

• Ryu Connor

q[http://www.cdg.org/technology/2g.asp<]§ * Increased talk time for portables You don't get increased talk time as a feature of the technology without efficient power usage. Of course that comes from the actual CDMA standards group website. So I guess we should assume they lie?

• Proesterchen

I don’t think you understood what I was trying to say.

• Ryu Connor

q[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_mobile_phone_standards<]§

• Proesterchen

q[

• moose17145

§[<http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/treo700w/?creativeID=LFB<]§|treo700w_wx_learn_more Hey omfg and it does just as much and it has apps you can install for it... AND it's not carrier exclusive... AND it's a hell of a lot cheaper... AND it's not apple made, meaning it probably won't break the first time it falls three feet. "But wait, that doesn't have 4GB of memory storage!" §[<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820211067<]§ HOLY CRAP! SD Card came WAY down in price since the last time i looked apparently! But yes, combine that with the Palm and it's still way cheaper even if you go with the more expensive carrier. If you need more space than this for MP3's or what not, ... then maybe you had best be looking at something other than a phone for that aspect of your life... like a Zune or Zen... Edit: Oh yea... and it has been available for quite some time now. So apple is really not breaking any type of new ground at all.

• bhtooefr

The 5 gig iPod didn’t have a great spec sheet when it came out, either. Somehow, it was a major success.

(Reason? User interface.)

• adisor19

LOL are you comparing Palm OS with OS X embedded in the iPhone ? What about the form factor ? What about the input method ?

Adi

• moose17145

uhhh… doesn’t run a palm OS… runs M$.

• indeego

I have a 700w and it’s fairly buggy. Needs a reset on average every week or so.

Other than that it’s nice for a free phone work pays for. it allows me to cut about 45 minutes from working since I’m on the clock on the way to work and backg{<.<}g 🙂

• adisor19

Sorry, i still associate Palm OS with the Treos.. lots of history there, but this is even worse. Winmo has soo many bugs it’s not funny. There is no way you can compere The Treo 700ws with the iPhone. Storage wise, not even close, UI same thing, Wifi- where is that on the Treo ? anyways..

Adi

• SGWB

the Treo 700p does run Palm
          §[<http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/treo700p/<]§

• ludi

Apple has /[

• Namarrgon

Just read: No user-installable apps on the iPhone.

§[<http://www.tuaw.com/2007/01/09/iphone-will-not-allow-user-installable-applications/<]§ If this is true... oh well. It was nice while it lasted, it looks great, but that's a dealbreaker for me. No sale, Apple.

• Hattig

It’s six months away. The menu system looks like it will support more applications too – certainly I suspect that Apple hasn’t finished all their apps yet for the device.

Apple don’t have an Xcode release that compiles for ARM or this platform however. They could keep it internal and refuse the ability to create software for this phone but I think that would be a rather stupid decision in the long run. I can see why they might want to prevent any old application running on the iPhone though.

I would personally suspect that an Xcode release that also supports the Mac OS X running on this device will be made available before or at the time the device is released. Finished applications may be sold via the iTunes Store rather than stand-alone.

• bhtooefr

We’re assuming this is ARM, though.

I’m thinking something along the lines of Transmeta, VIA, some ULV Core 2, or maybe an AMD Geode of some kind.

Or, if not that, maybe some embedded PPC… that’s a rather developed market.

• PenGun

Of course. The first thing I would do is to install a VOIP client and Cingular would lose mucho calls.

There will be a hack with luck.

• Spotpuff

Maybe it’s because I don’t have a phone but the whole mobile phone market is really boring to me.

• boing

What? No Turbo-3G?

• melvz90

no replacement batteries… no expansion slot… no outlook synchronization.. apple only applications?!?

carrier-exclusive availability?!?

not too promising in my opinion

• leor

you people bitching about the price don’t seem to know what smart phones are going for today.

the current top of the line smart phones out now cost as much or more than this, and offer less functionality, such as:

HTC P3600 – over $700
    O2 Stealth – $599
    Treo 750v – over $700
    XDA Trion – $699
    Sony Ericsson P990i – $599

• spuppy

Those are base prices though, without a contract. If you take the 2 year contract away from this, $500-600 becomes $900-1000

I bought my pocket pc phone for $800 over a year ago, but the thing is, I have used at least 5 different carriers with it, NEVER signing an exclusive contract. I have even moved to another country in that time, and had I been stuck with a 2 year contract, I’d be screwed, and I wouldn’t be able to keep my phone in the new country.

• SNM

When I was checking this for comparison purposes earlier, it looked like smartphones didn’t get more than ~$100 cut off the price tag when you got it with a contract.

• bhtooefr

I’ve seen about $150 as the norm on most phones. $200 is the most I’ve ever seen unless they’re blowing old stock of a phone out.

• Hance

I have a Motorola V325 flip phone. So far its held up pretty well. Its been dropped from 20 feet up off a building and lived. It lived through the my hands are covered in gas and I have to take an important call test. I havent tried the drop it in a containment full of diesel fuel test yet. I try to avoid that one because it usually does really bad things to a phone.

Yeah usa construction work is hard on alot of things phones included. Ask most any construction worker you almost always have something that hurts somewhere. Its just a part of the job.

• sativa

target market: here

you: way the hell over there.

• Ryu Connor

q[http://www.3gamericas.org/English/Statistics/3.cfm<]§ Looks like a recipe for failure to me. The next Newton?

• Hance

I am a construction worker I want somebody to come out with a phone that doesnt break when you look at it wrong or drop it. I dont need any of the fancy BS just good reception a phonebook and the durability to last for more than six months without breaking. Build me something like that and I am all over it. The iPhone wouldnt last a week doing what I do. It would be hard pressed to last more than one day doing what i do.

• Usacomp2k3

Is that why all the construction people use Nextel’s which look like bricks?

• Sahrin

That, and Nextel had push-to-talk before anyone else, which was free with the service (so many companies signed up with them, as opposed to the majors (ie Verizon and Cingular/ATT Wireless)).

Though Nextel does build some very ugly phones, in my experience (I use one today) they are not that rugged. I’ve only peed on it twice and turns off without warning and drops calls all the time.

• bhtooefr

Get an old phone.

Maybe a good old Nokia 51xx? They made those in TDMA, GSM, and CDMA…

• Hattig

Dunno why they didn’t call it the ApplePhone and be done with the iPhone trademark issue.

Anyway, for the class of device, it is a good price, and to be brutally honest from the videos shown it makes all the competitors look like coracles going up against an air craft carrier. Everything about the user interface looks properly designed for the task.

Having had to write software for Pocket PC / WinCE / Windows Mobile, and use them, I can say that the Windows Mobile smartphone platform leaves a lot to be desired. Of course that comes from hands-on experience which no-one has with the iPhone. But if the videos of usability are a fair representation, then you would be rather retarded to look at any device but this iPhone come June for your smartphone needs, unless you had a corporate requirement.

RIM will be okay. They have the corporate contracts. Symbian and Windows Mobile … that’s another issue.

For the rest of us who get free phones with contracts … this is not the phone for us and never was. However I wouldn’t be surprised to see a less-functional lower-end phone from Apple in the future – a nano iPhone as it were 🙂

• Delphis

/[< Dunno why they didn't call it the ApplePhone and be done with the iPhone trademark issue.<]/ Because having a poser name is iEverything to these iSsoles.

• snowdog

I assume that was a typo and you mean going GSM gives them world wide reach? I agree unfortunately. GSM is the dominant technology outside North America.

For selfish reasons I wish they went CDMA. My work is programming CDMA base stations and I might have had an opportunity to play with one at work if it were CDMA. We get most of the CDMA smart phones to test, though I usually don’t bother with them, but this one really peaked my interest.

Edit: that was supposed to be a reply to #47

• bhtooefr

But the thing is, CDMA phones pull more power, and either have less battery life or bigger batteries (= more weight and more thickness).

• ludi

Sweet!

Now if only I were made of money — or, if it were more like $300. Not only is six Franklins a ton of money to pay up front, but pulling a $600 media phone out of your pocket is a good way to get mugged.

• Ryu Connor

I don’t quite understand why they are limiting this phone in the US market.

Cingular is the largest provider in the US, but not by a huge amount according to Wikipedia (59.8m).

Releasing this phone generally and in the US and for CDMA would have allowed both Sprint (53.7m) and Verizon (57m) to use the product and that would have given the phone another ~110m possible buyers.

Considering the phones price and function, I’m sure it’s already gonna be a niche market item. Why further niche that by choosing exclusivity?

• Thresher

Sprint and Verizon use CDMA, which is US only. Going CDMA gives them worldwide reach without added expense. The real question is why aren’t they letting T-Mobile sell them.

• Buub

Actually, CDMA is popular in some parts of Asia.

• adisor19

South Korea to be more precise. The rest of the world uses GSM.

Adi

• adisor19

Most likely the fact that Cingular has more coverage then T-Mobile does..
        I wish up here in Canada, Fido was still around like you guys have T-mobile, but Robbers (Rogers) bought them out for a huge lump sum and now they are raping everyone since there is only 1 GSM carrier in the whole of canada :'(

Adi

• Namarrgon

I’m guessing it’s because Cingular were the only telco willing to implement Apple’s “visual voicemail” back-end.

The iPhone might work fine on other providers, but you won’t get that particular feature without specific support from the network.

• Peldor

I’m guessing because Cingular was willing to part with the largest package of (back-dated :)) stock options and blank checks.

• Sahrin

DING DIN DING.

It’s because Cingular was willing to offer the biggest subsidy for the phone – think about who owns Cingular. AT&T. The same company that spend 110 billion acquiring its competitors last year – money is no object to those guys. Not like you can argue with their 10 billion/year in profit, but still.

• Thresher

Demo of the unit in action:

§[<http://www.apple.com/iphone/<]§ If it works this slickly, I'm all over it. However, as a Cingular data customer at present, I can tell you that Cingular could screw up a ham sandwich ant that is the limiting factor. We'll see if the data transfer speeds are good enough.

• indeego

Actually, the graphics look slick, but the thing really needs a stylus. (does it? it looked like the “circle” of dragging was quite large…) Fingers are fat and nowhere near as precise as a hand holding an object of smaller proportionsg{<.<}g

• Joshvar

I think a stylus is highly overrated as a digital equipment interface for any tasks a phone can do. It’s Apple, so they designed the virtual interface around the physical interface. There may be peculiarities with it, but they do a bang up job when it comes to making people and interfaces work well together.

• indeego

That’s Great, but in the world of being a Web Browser and a PDA, it needs a stylus alsog{<.<}g

• blastdoor

Maybe we should just all grow very pointy finger nails 🙂

• snowdog

I would reserve judgment on needing a stylus until I tested it. After seeing the online demo, who doesn’t want to test it.

Apple just needs to demo one of these at each store and it will generate a ton of traffic into their stores.

• sigler00

Apple’s new phone is pretty slick, although the price is a major obstacle. A phone’s lifespan is awfully short to pay 500-600 bones for one.

Without corporate email integration like Blackberry or GoodLink has it cannot compete in that space no matter how good it looks.

• Joshvar

I see plenty of people with high-dollar (Windows Mobile, Palm, and Blackberry) devices which have no business need for them (or really use the functionality that they’re paying for). And lots of people with high-dollar video iPods with neither video nor a real use for the capacity. That’s the market Apple sees, and hence its consumer-centric featureset thus far.

• Joshvar

As an owner of a PPC-6700 (HTC Apache) Windows Mobile, I’ve already paid nearly that price for an interface that’s painfully slow, buggy software, garbage battery life, replacement styluses that go flying like insults at Mac fans, and a 1GB miniSD card. I did get it soon after it was released, and the more recent software is better (they finally added a keylock feature!), but it still has significant shortcomings. Some with the phone, some with the software.

I’d almost given up on a multifunction phone, going the small Bluetooth phone + laptop route, but this would make me reconsider.

• d0g_p00p

I expect in a few months, every tool in the Bay Area will have one of these.

• Forge

Sweet. I want one. That full-unit-size screen is sick, and the touchscreen may be the best thing since sliced bread.

I want to see one up close first, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen my next phone.

• Sahrin

OK Apple fans, don’t look directly into the RDF when Steve is giving a keynote…you should know better than that.

I need an Apple phone like I need an a**hole on the elbow.

I personally hate Apple because of the zealotry they seem to inspire in their otherwise technologically undistinguished customers.

But all that aside, I’m sick and tired of the “Apple moves into market created by someone else, develops and releases a moderate product to great fanfare (See Apple zealots), and almost immediately come the predicitions of Apple’s conquest of that market. The only market Apple has anything approaching a reasonable share of is the MP3 market (players and songs). Everyone talks about MS using illegal tactics to enter and dominate new markets – Apple controls approx. 70% of the MP3 market – they’ve used propiretary formats and closed ecosystems to turn that into a dominant share of online music sales, and in turn will now try to deploy that dominance in the phone business.

To use a lame, lame quote from Episode III: “This is how [innovation and customer choice] dies, to thunderous applause.”

• ludi

Actually, Apple stepped in and created a viable online music system and hardware platform, back when everyone else was still issuing thunderous hot air about online piracy being the ruin of mankind. You can’t fault them for basking in the success of it.

• adisor19

Last i remmeber MP3 was pretty open. Nobody out there is forcing you to buy songs off iTunes. I rip my cds to MP3 and transfer them to the ipod in no DRM whatsoever. Where is the lockdown ? i can copy those songs back to as many computers as i want. The reason why the iPod succeded is not cause of fanbyism, as you claim, but rather because it was the best MP3 player out there.

Adi

• SGWB

y[

• Mithent

Usual ‘made by Apple, it’s a revolution’ attitudes expected of course, but how is this all that different from the existing stock of Windows Mobile phones like the HTC Wizard? I guess it’s slimmer, but it loses the keyboard, so swings and roundabouts there.

The screenshot with this article also looks extremely like something out of Windows Vista, not MacOS (I know Vista took OS X on board design-wise, but it looks scarily like Aero Glass).

• adisor19

You’re kidding right ? I have the HTC TyTn and the frequent freezes and clunky interface are annoying as hell. I had to buy a separate 2G microsd card for it adding to the 700$US i initially paid for it. The HSDPA is useless at the moment as my local carrier is slooooooooow in implementing it.(Wake up -[

• deathBOB

Slimmer than the Q? Daaaaamn, the Q is pretty slim.

• ripfire

GSM? EDGE? Meh. I guess the WiFi makes up for the slower bands, but only if you’re near an access point (or you’re in SFO). Then again, I’m not even sure if you can download music/movies/TVshows directly to iPhone.

• totoro

I really want to know what CPU is in there…

• Buub

Hmm… that’s pretty damn cool. It might even be the first device to get me away from my Treo.

• cRock

It’s just a smart phone. A nice one to be sure, but nothing special. I might consider one if it was less expensive. Given the mortality rate of cell phones, $500-600 seems a bit too steep. It will be interesting to see how well these move and how fast the price comes down. The sweet spot seems to be $200-300. I guess Apple priced these figuring iPod+phone = $500-600. I don’t think it will fly.

• droopy1592

$250 and I’d bite, but that’s too high. My Motorola phone I have now was purchased this summer and is already acting crazy.

No phone I’ve had has been problem free for more than 8-12 months.

• blastdoor

I seem to recall a few years back, people saying things like this about the iPod — “it’s just an mp3 player. A nice one to be sure, but nothing special…”

• barich

If only this was on a CDMA network so that I could actually use it inside my house.

• adisor19

LOL rrright cause CDMA magically works inside your house and GSM doesn’t ?! Get a 850Mhz band GSM phone and you’ll be able to talk from your basement if needed.

CDMA is a looser technology supported by the evil Qualcom company that i hope someday will burn in hell where it belongs.

Adi

• barich

The phone that I used on Cingular was a Motorola V551 – a quad-band phone. That was not the problem. The problem is that Cingular’s coverage (and GSM coverage in general), especially in rural areas of the US, is inferior to CDMA.

I noticed, even in good signal areas, that voice quality was noticeably better once I switched to Verizon as well.

• ripfire

I have Cingular (personal cell; uses GSM) and Verizon (work cell; uses CDMA). When it comes to my neighborhood (next to hills), both signal sucks, and there’s nothing I can do about it.

Although lately, both phones are getting better in signal quality for some reason.

• DrDillyBar

Google Maps is a nifty feature for a phone.

• kilkennycat

Haven’t Linksys just launched a product called an “iPhone” and have the rights to this brand-name ? Must buy some Cisco shares…. 🙂

• Lord.Blue

yes they did…they have had the name copyrighted since 1996.
      The RDF is strong on Mr. Jobs today.

• ripfire

• Bauxite

newsflash to apple…

iPhone is taken.

• sjankech

apple bought the rights to it from cisco

• Bauxite

Not according to cisco’s own press release /[

• Bauxite

Cisco sues Apple over use of iPhone name

WHAM, BAM, THANKYOUMAM.

§[<http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070110/ap_on_hi_te/cisco_apple<]§

• adisor19

Ahh crap :S something tells me apple will rename it to Apple Phone.. like the iTV – > Apple TV

Adi

• Gandhi

Site is live

§[<http://www.apple.com/iphone/phone/<]§

• indeego

Looks slick.

As usual, the marketing for the product will ensure I will never touch oneg{<:<}g y{<"Looks like Magic" "Touch your music"<}y

• SNM

I like Multitouch. I’ve been expecting it for over a year.

No way I can afford one right now, but this will almost certainly be my first cell phone when I do get one.

• shank15217

i think its high time you get a cell phone, iphone or not. you must be annopying the crap out of freinds and relatives many of whom probably expect everybody else to have cell phones, as they usually do.

• d2brothe

Thats a little extreme…I bought a cell phone because I have an unreliable car, and don’t want to get stranded….I very rarely use it. Most people I know don’t have one, and I don’t use it to phone them.

• SNM

It depends on the social circles you’re in, guys. My parents and I just email, and neither of us really misses the phone. I’m in a small residential college where everybody has laptops, so AIM and walking are used way more than cell phones even for the people who have them. There’s really no point my owning one.

• Sargent Duck

Annoying friends or annoying me having one of those blasted things? I’ll choose to annoy my friends (hasn’t bothered them so far me not having one)….then again, all of my techie friends don’t have a cell phone either, so I guess we must all be annoying each other equally.

• Proesterchen

I don’t have a cell phone. I don’t like them.

This one could actually make me get one.

• Buub

But they mentioned AMD in the same article! Doesn’t that conflict you?!