Mozilla developers plan Firefox 3.0 features

Firefox 2.0 only came out around two and a half months ago, but Mozilla developers are already hard at work on the next major release of the browser. The developers met yesterday to discuss the upcoming browser’s functionality, and they’ve put together a list of planned features and enhancements that has been transcribed by the folks at Mozilla Links.

The list includes enhanced support for add-ons, remote bookmarks, the ability to open documents with a web service like Google Docs & Spreadsheets, better printing, and support for MSI installers to ease the browser’s deployment in corporate environments. Also listed are some “desirable” and “nice to have” features that may or may not end up in the final release. Those include tab grouping, the ability to save pages as PDF documents, a private browsing mode, and a unified bookmarks/history repository. The complete list is available in this document, but the browser itself isn’t expected until the third quarter of this year.

• Lazier_Said

Still waiting for a history function that doesn’t freeze up the whole window for two seconds every time you do anything with it.

On the bright side, 1.6 crashed all the time while 2.0 has only done that a couple times.

• eloj

Tab grouping. I once posted on an Opera forum requesting this feature from their developers. I seem to remember many a user basically calling me crazy. Should probably dig that post up and wave it around when this is hailed as the Next Killer Feature 🙂

If only Firefox had “M2” maybe I’d switch if tab groups went in.

• Norphy

Using MSIs to deploy Firefox is only half the problem. It is relatively easy to repackage the current version for deployment so that is not much of an issue.

What it also needs are some nice Mozilla developed/supported ADM files so it can be centrally configured and locked down. Then and only then will Firefox replace IE as the browser of choice in my workplace.

• crazybus

Firefox is using 100MB of ram right now with only this window open. That’s a bit much imho. I’d also like to see some convergence between Firefox and Camino on the OS X platform. Camino seems to have significantly lower memory requirements but just doesn’t have the usability features, and add on capability Firefox has.

• Corrado

FF 2.0.whatever is using up 38MB on my box… with three tabs open.

• bthylafh

How many extensions do you have? Mine’s been open for several hours, has 4 tabs open, 14 extensions, and is using 77 megs (2.0.0.1, Ubuntu 6.10).

• crazybus

It’s Firefox 2.0.0.1 and the only extension I have installed is DownThemAll. I probably haven’t closed Firefox all day though.

• Austin

l[<:o(<]l I have around 12 extensions FF2.0 with a few tabs and windows open. When freshly opened Firefox tends to use around 64MB yet after 10-20 hours it often eats up in excess of 300MB with the same sort of few tabs and windows open. There is a blackhole either in Firefox or an extension, no question, just try leaving it open for a good few hours and see for yourself. Of course IE is unlikely to run for 20 hours without crashing and restarting, so I do count my blessings.

• willyolio

i would like them to remove the ram blackhole feature. i still have no idea how NOT browsing can continually suck up more and more ram.

• Austin

y[<:o)<]y Firefox is great but as mentioned it seems to gradually eat up more and more RAM until you exit and start it up afresh. l[<;oD<]l The biggest feature I want included is better support for widescreen displays, esp as TR's last poll revealed a whopping 45% of gerbils are running them. All but the address field would be much better off placed as sidebars as the sides of the screen often go completely unused (and toolbars top and bottom really use up valuable vertical space). It would also be great to be able to split the primary window into two, a bit like using 2 columns in Word.

• Tumbleweed

All I want is a multithreaded UI. If they do that, FF3 will be a success in my eyes. If they don’t, it’s merely FF2.1 as far as I’m concerned. Shoulda had it from the get-go. The longer they take to put it in, the harder it’s gonna be.

• nagashi

2.0 took care of my major complaints (high mem/cpu usage). Now I just wish they’d guarantee compatibility for extensions/add-ons/skins for an entire major version series. I’m really sick of doing a minor security update and having it break an extension that I use daily.

• Ardrid

I think that’d be a lot easier if Mozilla themselves were providing the extensions/themes. Hell, it’d pretty much be expected. But when you’ve got tons of 3rd party devs/users creating extensions that interact with various parts of the browser, it becomes a lot harder to ensure that something won’t break when a new version is released.

• bthylafh

That’s not Firefox’s problem, it’s the extension developer specifying that only version x will work, not version x.0.0.1.

• Ardrid

Hmm…I don’t have any of those problems with FF2.0, gerbilspy. Anyways, I’m personally looking forward to FF3.0. It’s nice to see Mozilla isn’t resting on their laurels.

• gerbilspy

I wish they would fix the memory problems and the cpu hoggishness!

• steelcity_ballin

I haven’t had any of those problems since 2.0. No flash problems, nada. Been smooth sailing for me.