Seagate announces mobile hard drive with Wi-Fi

Portable hard drives have been around for a while, but Seagate has spiced up the concept with its new Digital Audio Video Experience product (DAVE, for short.) The acronym doesn’t make a whole lot of sense on its own, but DAVE is essentially a 10-20GB portable hard drive with Bluetooth 2.0, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, and USB connectivity. As its name suggests, the device is intended to store music and videos to allow users to access them from not only PCs, but also mobile phones and other devices with wireless support. The DAVE measures 61mm x 89mm x 12mm and weighs just 70g, so it can easily slip into a jacket pocket. As for battery life, Seagate claims the device can stream data continuously for up to 10 hours and stay on standby for up to two weeks.

According to Engadget, the DAVE will appear in May or June with a $200 price tag. It will be available through cell phone makers like Motorola and Nokia as well as network providers like Verizon and Cingular.

• nonegatives

My wire hating wife would love this.

• willyolio

but when RIAA and MPAA finds out this will allow people to share music and videos like the cassette tapes…

I’m sorry DAVE, I’m afraid I can’t do that.

• moose17145

hope not, but probably. Main reason i think the RIAA and MPAA are the biggest annoyances to American society today, they do nothing but hold society and technology back with their constant BS.

• SNM

Took ’em long enough. I wanted one of these 4 years ago.

• Forge

Basically ++ to comment 1.

The price leaves a bit to be desired, but the idea itself is fantastic. I can drop a bunch of movies/shows/etc onto one of these, leave it in the bottom of my laptop’s bag, and just watch them over a wireless connection instead. My laptop actually gains quite a bit of battery life just by having the HDD spun down, so this sounds great.

I think I’d want to buy the enclosure/electronics/etc and add my own hard disk, though. 10-20GB just isn’t much by current standards.

• Namarrgon

Laptop? Sure, though there are already reasonable alternatives for those. I was thinking “smartphone”.

I have 2GB in my Hermes, enough for a few albums & a little video, but a similar-sized device with 10-20GB that I can stream via wifi really opens up the possibilities.

• mboza

How big is the HD? 1.5″ or something?

I would have thought that the expense of this, and the battery consumption of the laptop wifi, and this, would outweigh the benefits. Just stick it all on the laptop, and carry a spare battery.

Oh, and how does this compare to a zune for the whole wireless portable HD thing?

• moose17145

HAHA!! This is cool, idc i anyone says, this is cool! Way to go Seagate! Way to innovate!

• Helmore

Ouch a little pricey for the storage you get, but I really like the idea.