MacBooks with larger screens to come next quarter

Apple may soon beef up its MacBook consumer-oriented laptop line, according to a report by DigiTimes. The Taiwanese site has word from local industry sources that Apple plans to unveil new MacBooks with 15.4″ displays some time in the second quarter of this year. Existing MacBooks are manufactured by Asus, but DigiTimes says Apple will tap Quanta for the upcoming 15.4″ models. Quanta already makes Apple’s MacBook Pros, the site says.

Releasing 15.4″ MacBooks would be a logical move for Apple. Current MacBooks have 13.3″ displays, and their price tags range from $1,099 to $1,499 depending on the model. To get a Mac laptop with a 15.4″ display, one must cough up at least $1,999 for a MacBook Pro. That’s a little pricey, especially since Dell currently offers a 15.4″ model with Windows Vista Home Premium, a Core 2 Duo processor, 1GB of RAM, and an 80GB hard drive for less than $1,000.

• Voldenuit

I think it’s worrying that even with performance and price parity, apple has a hard time establishing mindshare. I was recently in the market for a new laptop, and the Apple macbook was quite competitive pricewise with the wintel competitors.

Of course, using business and engineering apps meant that my only option is windows, but the Apple tax seems to have been mostly abolished (I ended up getting a Toshiga Portege).

However, I’d personally be more interested if apple could shave a few hundred grams off the 13″ macbook, rather than making bigger laptops. After all, the target market for apples would be more willing to show off their laptop in pulbic than leaving them to sit on the desk at home.

• Joobers

Now what Apple should do is have a 13″ Macbook Pro. Personally, I love my Macbook. Having both OSX and WinXP is awesome. Plus Guild Wars runs great on it.

• wesley96

Where’s my MacBook Lite? Arrgh… 10″, 3-pound ultraportable, please!

Cyril, you made a huge mistake and gave the Anti-Mac crowd around here something to bitch about by not presenting *all* the facts. The dell is under $1k, but it’s missing a bunch of stuff:

1.73GHz CoreDuo (the dell doesn’t even have the Core2 enhancements) vs 2.16 Core2Duo in the MBP
    X1300 vs. X1600 in the MBP
    webcam in the MBP
    Firewire in the MBP
    DVD burner stock in the MBP (vs. CD-RW/DVD-ROM in all but the most expensive the Dell in your link)
    DVI-out in the MBP (vs. VGA in the Dell)
    Bluetooth in the MBP standard

Obviously, if one doesn’t need that stuff, go buy the Dell and suck it up with Windows.

I don’t mind that you’re not an Apple guy, I just think you need to look at systems that are even *remotely* comparable, because at this point, it’s not even close.

• Hizpanick

I’d be careful trying to compare specs. It’s way too easy to find a comparable computer hardware-wise that will be cheaper than the Macbook Pro. There are a lot of threads with the Pc vs Mac theme that show this. I think it’d be better to compare the machines on software, since that’s where they differ the most now.

cheaper, sure, but half the price with comparable build quality? No chance.

• moose17145

o..m..g… You think macs have good “build quality”. Wow, where the heck have you been? Unless your looking at dells, most PC laptops i have found have been better than any mac i have ever seen.

• SNM

What about the true ultraportable? Come on, 12″ or smaller laptop!
    Plus a sub-4 pound Mac laptop would be cool; I’m not sure they’ve ever had one of those.

• adisor19

Man, you have no idea how much i want a 12″ MacBook Pro… I would have went for the Mac Book but the non backlight keyboard really put me off 🙁 once you use a laptop with backlight keyboard, you don’t wanna go back. I settled for a 15″ MBP..

Adi

• Thresher

That’s a nice looking unit.

• brainychimp

you obviously already have your mind made up. so what’s the point in complaining about something you aren’t going to buy anyway? it’s not as if apple’s forcing you to buy a mac; you have a choice, and that’s the point… some of us want more specs for the money. some of us want an alternative whose qualities can’t necessarily be listed on paper.

• moose17145

which would be….??? Sorry, but i don’t count OSX as being on of those things.

• Hattig

The problem with Apple is that they don’t alter their prices to reflect falling prices in the industry as much as any other company.

So when they launch a product they’re usually only a bit more expensive, and that’s fine because of Mac OS X and the applications you get with a Mac.

But 3 months later the prices are vastly different because everything has got cheaper. Apple doesn’t up the specifications or lower the prices however. Then 9 months later they release an update to the design with new prices that are nearly competitive again. Rinse. Repeat.

With the switch to x86, Apple has to be a bit more proactive with their pricing. On the other hand, if people are buying all they can make, why should they bother…

• ludi

Why would Apple have to be more proactive with their pricing?

The only people who can sit down and do a line-item component cost anlaysis and then protest about the profit margin are geeks like us, who regardless were going to buy whatever we wanted and needed most. Everyone else capable of making that analysis went and bought Apple stock instead, and the situation with Apple from the general consumer perspective hasn’t changed in the slightest — if you want Apple OS and applciations, you buy Apple hardware, end of story.

• Lord.Blue

They really ought to bring their prices to be more in line with the rest of the PC industry, because now, almost the only thing separating them is the OS.

• bthylafh

…and having only one button on their touchpads. Drives me insane.

• adisor19

Actually, if you would have actually used a Mac laptop you would know that tapping with 1 finger = Left click and tapping with 2 fingers = Right click.

Adi

pfft, the facts are beside the point, we need something to whine about!

• Decelerate

1299$-1699$ seems to be a nice range to cover for this product.

Won’t be less than the $1499 BlackBook

• Decelerate

A black version, no.

But having a 400$ gap for 2 inches between the white versions seems a bit much imo.

There’s a $200 gap between white versions, a $200 gap to the black…you’ll probably see $200 more for a 15.4″ and another $100+ to go black on that model.

• Sargent Duck

Yeah, but does Dell offer Mac OS X?

• 5150

I foresaw this post before I even looked.

• spuppy

+1 for Dell

• dmitriylm

Riiight, because thats a feature I want.

• ludi

How about soft-white glowing Dell logo on the back side of your screen?

• spuppy

+10 for Apple! Now THAT is something worth spending $1000 on

• ludi

rawr!

(Actually, I think they mainly look cool when other people buy them. I need a new laptop but I don’t have MacBook-type dought sitting around idle, and if I did, I’d buy a gaming-capable PC laptop.)

• True Xploder

My thoughts exactly

• provoko

So Mac OS X is worth $1000? I thought Vista was overpriced.