Nvidia releases WHQL Vista graphics drivers

In what is now its fourth graphics driver release since the launch of Windows Vista three weeks ago, Nvidia has released a set of WHQL-certified ForceWare drivers numbered 100.65. These drivers have been validated by Microsoft’s Windows Hardware Quality Labs, but they’re by no means feature-complete. The Nvidia Control Panel is still missing features like video overlay control, and the nView control panel is still missing altogether. In fact, Nvidia’s release notes for these new ForceWare drivers suggest that the company only fixed two bugs since the ForceWare 100.64 release that came out last Wednesday. One of the bugs concerned application profiles on multi-user systems, and the other had to do with 1080i overlay playback quality.

Nevertheless, the new drivers are available here in 32-bit and here for 64-bit Vista users. Just like the previous version, these drivers are compatible with GeForce 8, GeForce 7, and GeForce 6 graphics cards. (Thanks to TR reader Andrew for the tip.)

• droopy1592

****still waits for nforce3 Vista drivers****

• Mac_Bug

I’ve been having severe problems after installing vista on my Z71V laptop

First I thought it had to do with Aero and screensavers and /or sleep, but now it turns out the desktop coudl go all wonky on me even while using Vista Basic theme. On top of this if I close my laptop lid it would turn the monitor off but not turn it back on again. I am also experiencing system freeze leading to laptop overheating because the fan is not able to throttle up for some reason. Resettting the laptop has the bios automatically shutting down processors and putting fans on full blast to cool itself.

I am using 100.65 :/

• Forge

My ‘Vista Essential’ 7950GX2 is getting less and less amusing every day.

WTF NVIDIA?? WHERE IS THE ****ED SLI?? YOU GOT IT WORKING ON GF8, WHERE’S THE REST???

• PRIME1

Ironically my free copy of Vista arrived today.

I probably won’t install it until next year though.

• Lazier_Said

Considering what happened when you installed a fresh copy of October 2001, Service Pack 0, unpatched XP a couple years after release, I wouldn’t wait too long.

• indeego

Installed. STrangely enough it’s not solved my Vista Networking issues. (Firefox can’t open about 50% of sites, and Steam don’t work at all, grrrrg{<.<}g)

• adisor19

You’re kidding, right ? 😀

Adi

• indeego

Kinda. I’m grasping at loose straws here. I think I’ve tried everything except loading a packet sniffer on this thingg{.}g

• Krogoth

What NIC are you using?

It might also be that IPv6 to IPv4 address translator still has some issues with certain NICs.

• indeego

Using the Marvell Yukon Onboard nic on the ASUS P5B Deluxe. I have tried the included Vista drivers and the newer ones from Marvell. I’ve tried both onboard nics.
        I’ve disabled firewall.
        I’ve turned off UAC and tried running apps in compatibility mode.
        IE browsing works fine. Browsing to local network shares works fine. Ping works fine. Steam just sits at Updating 0%, and no traffic shows in taskmgr.

Back on topic, I’ve loaded Oblivion and Ghost Recon and both work fine (gorgeous) with these drivers and the previous beta onesg{<.<}g

• Kunikos

Have you considered that it may be an ISP or router issue? Try using a different OS (LiveCD Linux would work in a pinch?) or hardware router/modem and see if it changes anything.

• indeego

I suppose I could load a live version of linux on there. That wouldn’t help me with Steam or Firefox under Vista. I have 90 other nodes on this network without this issue, the ISP works fine and the border firewall works fine (no denies related to steam or firefox. I specifically want this machine, under Vista, to use Firefox (for work testing) and Steam (For nonwork testing:).

I rebuilt the box just now after formatting and I’m able to repeat the problem. It’s so strange because other network apps work fine on itg{<.<}g Guess I get what my work pays for. 🙂

• indeego

Figured it out. Windows “Network Locations” the Network type needed to be toggled. Even when joining a domain this setting didn’t get changed to allow accessg{<.<}g Why steam and parts of firefox were hit I have no idea.

• Shark

Toggled from what to what?

• indeego

My bad.

This *[http://www.neillans.co.uk/?p=165<]§ Reboot after making that changeg{<.<}g

• StashTheVampede

WHQL seal probably does NOT include OpenGL acceleration or SLI support. Does the driver pass the suite of tests designed for Windows (desktop acceleration, DirectX)? Yes.

• Kunikos

There is basic OpenGL support. Whether it is using a DirectX wrapper or a real OpenGL, I’m not sure, but City of Heroes has been runnable since the 97 series drivers for Vista.

• Sargent Duck

2 bug fixes? call me cynical, but why didn’t they just wait till they had a few more bugs fixed before making us download their massive driver.

• Shark

Fixed Issues–Windows Vista 32-bit
    • NVIDIA Control Panel: Application profiles do not work properly on systems with multiple user accounts
    • GeForce 7 Series: 1080i overlay playback quality is poor on 1080i devices.

• Lord.Blue

what about 64-bit?

• Shark

Nothing is mentioned in the Release Notes.

• Sahrin

I didn’t know there was a WHQL-seal available for public betas.

• Shark

While the drivers may not be feature complete, this seal may just indicate that what is there doesn’t break…..s[

• Usacomp2k3

Cool, I’ll have to install these tonight.