Cheap G80 derivative to make it to AGP?

Nvidia will not abandon AGP users even with its upcoming budget DirectX 10 graphics cards, according to The Inquirer. The site has heard that Nvidia is cooking up an AGP version of one of its G80 derivatives, the G84. This GPU is expected to be introduced under the GeForce 8600 moniker for PCI Express, but The Inq says Nvidia will offer an AGP variant, as well. Such an arrangement would mimic that of the current GeForce 7600 line, which includes both GeForce 7600 GT and GeForce 7600 GS models for AGP. That similarity is no surprise, The Inq suggests, because the G84 will be pin-compatible with Nvidia’s GeForce 7600 and GeForce 6600 designs. Pricing for this purported AGP GeForce 8600 will supposedly hover around the €100 mark in Europe, which would likely imply a $100 price tag in the U.S.

• PetMiceRnice

Although I’ve moved on to PCI-E, I agree that AGP should get one last kick at the cat since it’s good enough to run Vista and also since there are still some systems out there with CPU’s that are more than good enough for the games out there. To offer a mid-range AGP DirectX 10 card would be a nice thing for such systems. It’s the perfect target audience.

• Wintermane

Who says you need cista to want a 8800 mid end card? They ARE going to make a dx 10 capatable that runs on xp after all and it will run dx9 gmes damn well. Mnay games are going to be dx 9 and 10 just as gere were dx 7 and 8 and even 7-8.

• d0g_p00p

There will never be DX 10 on XP.

• axeman

I think what he means it’s unlikely for game manufacturers to require DirectX10 for quite a while. More likely is games supporting a DirectX10 compatible rendering path for the graphics, but not requiring it. Locking out XP users would be a very bad marketing move for quite a while yet.

• moose17145

Wonder if it will beat the X1950 Pro… I hope so, cause then i could get a 8600 instead of a X1950 Pro for less money hopefully. Either way this would definitely make my AGP platform last another couple years.

• WaltC

I really like my x1950 Pro. Under Vista Ultimate 32 & 64 it scores a 5.9 performance rating for 3d desktop & game performance (out of a possible 6)–so it’s definitely not underpowered for Vista at all. In many cases it runs rings around my older x800 xt–and of course does SM3.0 which the older x800 didn’t (a few nicer visuals in NWN2, so far.)

• Fighterpilot

Hmm thats interesting….my X1900XT 512MB only scores a 5.8 using Vista 32 and yet is quite a bit more powerful than an X1950 pro….

• WaltC

Yes, I’ve also read reports from the Microsoft Vista newsgroups in which people report 5.9 scores running GF8800’s–so I’m pretty sure that the Vista performance program calculates performance up to a certain level and then no further–which makes sense in terms of having 3d hardware sufficient to run Vista, of course. I only mentioned it because the original poster indicated doubts about using a x1950 card for Vista–and he should have no worries about that, imo. NWN2, in terms of framerate performance runs as fast under the x1950 under Vista as it did with my x800 xt under XP, but some of the visuals are better because of the SM3.0 support. In several games I have the x1950 pro performs quite a bit better than my x800 xt did–which frankly surprised me somewhat–but shouldn’t have, I guess.

I thought I had mentioned earlier that I have the AGP edition of the x1950 Pro–but evidently I didn’t so I’ll mention it now.

• droopy1592

I just bought nforce3+ X2 two years ago, no need for me to toss out 600 more for new cpu, ram, and shuttle box

AGP it is!@

• SuperSpy

Me too. My X2 3800 system can run with the best of them still, but after a while it’s 6800 is gonna be the lagging point, especially as I run 2 monitors with 2 3D apps.

• Firestarter

if i’m not mistaken, there are plenty cheap AGP s754 Athlon64 systems around that would still make mean gaming machines with a 8600

• Beomagi

gotta agree with that. power of a 7800 with unified shader tech would be easily pushed by my 3400 newcastle.

• Sargent Duck

I’m having a hard time finding S939’s, so something tells me it’s going to be even harder to find a S754. I had a friend who’s S478 board died on him, and those are pretty sparse to find as well.

• Firestarter

I’m not talking about new systems, rather about systems of 2(ish) years old.

• StashTheVampede

The fastest S754 was 2.4ghz (3700+), right? That’s not a bad game machine for most of the current games on the market today.

• axeman

I have a 2.0ghz A64 on S754. If you are like me, and like to crank up the AA/AF, the graphics card is almost always the bottleneck.

• PRIME1

Actually this would make a nice upgrade for my HTPC.

• BoBzeBuilder

I think this is another childish try by nvidia to gain the performance crown, this time in agp cards. I won’t forget the 7800GTX 512 or the non-existant 6800Ultra Extreme Edition

• steelcity_ballin

Try to win the performance crown there bob? Where have you been at? They ARE the performance leaders. What the hell is a childish try? What’s childish about it? God bless you sir and your silly memory for the non-existent.

• wof

Buy vista ready cards for the unsupported nforce motherboards ?

Nice try nv …

• Delphis

I gotta ask .. why? .. For people that are probably upgrading so they can run Vista (I personally wouldn’t) and DirectX 10 games (whenever they appear) why would they pour yet more money into an AGP based system rather than upgrading their CPU/memory which, if the machine has AGP anyway, are probably going to be of a vintage that you might want to upgrade everything.

• BiffStroganoffsky

For the same reason the dog licks its balls…because he can.

• shalmon

bwahahaha, well said

• cynan

I’ve got a socket 754 A64 running at 2.4 ghz with 1mb cache. The only thing that would make it remotely slow for vista would be that it only has 1gb of RAM, which is easily upgradable. An AGP DX 10 card might actually be a decent ideal. It would certainly extend the life of my machine as a secondary computer a couple of years from now…

Of course a dual core CPU would be nice, but I don’t really notice the lack of one at least 80% of the time.

Dual channel vs single channel memory (the reason for getting people to upgrade to a socket 939)? Hardly anything to get excited about in my opinion – unless performing well on memory bandwidth benchmarks is a top priority for you…