Vista Ultimate support only lasts five years

Users who purchase the Ultimate edition of Windows Vista may think they’re getting the best of both worlds: all the features from the Business and Home Premium editions plus some extra goodies to boot. As it turns out, however, Vista Ultimate’s $399 price tag doesn’t get you one of the main perks of Vista Business. Joe Wilcox over at Microsoft Watch has discovered that Microsoft only covers Vista Ultimate under its mainstream support phase, which lasts five years. By contrast, the $299 Business edition of Vista is covered under the extended support phase, adding up to a 10-year coverage time.

That said, Microsoft states that Vista Ultimate mainstream support ends on October 4, 2012, meaning users who purchased Vista Ultimate on launch day will actually get around five years and eight months of coverage. Nevertheless, that time period may be a little short for businesses or schools that go with Vista Ultimate instead of Vista Business for the extra features.

• Beomagi

#51 if vista sucks then why switch at all? I’ve tried fedora and Ubuntu, and it’s either one driver problem or another. I’ve got it on this laptop and media pc, but i’ve found it simpler just to run it in vmware as linux simply is a pain to work with when your hardware isn’t popular. even when it is, you should see how screwed up fedora 6 was, when it installed with the wrong kernel. Linux is nice and all, but it has a good bit of work to do when it comes to hardware.

You want to install something – and the IDEA behind yum is perfect – linux’s developers did have great ideas in designing the several networked app repositories that exist, but the implementation sucks. ooohh dependency error – go hunt forums! want to install a video driver – hunt forums to learn you have to set a different runlevel only to learn your hardware doesnt like to switch to level 3 from 5 and freezes.

Why take a step back if you can’t go forward?

• Delta9

Why do I get the feeling that Vista in it’s current form is kind of like Windows ME. Microsoft needed a stopgap product so they released an unfinished bloated OS with almost no driver support that works. Sounds familiar, the real question lies with the way MS is acting (shady). Will we see a new product (Based on the Vista core) to replace the non professional types, or will it be three or four service packs before it almost does what it was supposed to do out of the box. (Which is alot less then it was supposed to do when it was announced.)

• bhtooefr

Very interesting point.

That among other reasons is why I’ve switched to Linux, instead of Vista. (Although I still have XP on this machine – Ubuntu and my work’s network don’t play nice, and I have some apps that don’t run on WINE that I need to use.)

• PetMiceRnice

Not that I’m interested in Ultimate, but don’t forget that the extended support phase which follows mainstream support is not entirely a bad thing. And anyway, I think in five years’ time that 95% of us won’t be running the computer we have today.

• ludi

Vista Me!

Vista 2000 is sheduled for release in ’09.

Then a few years after that maybe we’ll finally get Vista XP, in which the best features of Me and 2k are merged together into a stable installation that has proper driver support…

• DrDillyBar

*snicker*

• ssway

I seriously doubt that many of us will even be using Windows after much longer.

• Taddeusz

One word, games.

• albundy

Google OS, where art thou?

• JokerCPoC

Another nail in Vistas Coffin.

So, Support stops in 2012 eh?

I reckon it’ll be 2010 until SP2 comes out and Vista can be considered both stable and bug-free enough to be considered “finished”.

Good one Bill….

• Justice

Since they offer the Ultimate Edition under volume pricing, that would tend to make me believe that Ultimate was an option for business/enterprise. Only businesses should be purchasing in volume, therefore business class warranty should apply.

Meh.

• Lord.Blue

No, Ultimate is available for retail. I saw it at Best Buy.

• ludi

No, that’s not what he was saying.

• nonegatives

So THAT is what the Mayan prophesy is really about!

• Smurfer2

Yes, that is what it is about 😀

• SpotTheCat

is that 10 years in addition or ten years total?

• Lord.Blue

With Vista 09 coming out soon (2 years is soon in OS terms), what is the use of buying Vista now? Other than DX10, which will be mature by the time 09 comes out, so why not wait until then?

• sjpeters79

Because right now its free for students. At least at my school, I got vista business for FREE. But I think I should have waited till proper drivers were released before installing as there are some issues that need to be resolved and also some applications that just refused to work. But oh well, if you can get it for free then take it otherwise wait is probably best.

• DrDillyBar

As long as the Microsoft Knowledge Base still functions, I don’t see a problem with this.

• indeego

It will be extended. It has been historically in the past, and Microsoft typically pairs it’s similar codebase support for easeg{<.<}g

• Trellot

I agree with you.

Trellot

• Eckre

I’m sorry but “support”? I haven’t called windows a single time since … well since ever. I think you’ve seriously got to be somewhat stupid if you have to call Microsoft for a windows problem, other than transferring a license or something for a failed MB, etc. What your google search button doesn’t work?

I mean, are there seriously people calling MS all the time? What in five years the software is still going to be so bug ridden, you’re going to be needing to call MS? And if you drop four c-notes for software within a month it comes out, I doubt you are some newbie, or will have the same hardware/software in a half a decade, which is a half a century in comparison, if only that.

• Shark

And how does one “google” to fix their problem, if their network is down?

• Krogoth

Ahem, Security patches? Support involves more then simple phone calls and emailing to troubleshoot some mundane issues.

• indeego

Microsoft doesn’t make every patch available publicly. They would then incur additional support costs if every ninny installed every patch they could. People also discover bugs, and Microsoft actually will work with you to resolve them, given you are supported.

There are massive swaths of KB articles hidden from the public, for whatever reason.

There are conditions in which you don’t know the cause of the problem. Is it Microsoft, or a Driver Vendor? Is it third party software or malware?

If you’ve ever worked in an Enterprise or even a company with say more than 60 people, you want support, support, support, well over any other factor. You want to KNOW that a company stands behind their product, and will continue to do so.

That is why Microsoft is successful: People know it’ll be around 5, 10, 15 years from now. They don’t know the same of say, Open Office, or /[

• Sargent Duck

I had a friend work at a MS call center. He got a lot of calls, mostly from people who didn’t know why their IE wasn’t working, or other such stupidness

But on topic, I’m pretty sure Microsoft will extend support. Didn’t they extend support for Win 98, Me, and 2000? (different time frames though)

• Mithent

Oh, I’ve phoned Microsoft about a problem with my mouse. They said they’d replace it. Several more phone calls and over half a year later, I’m still waiting for them to send it.

• wierdo

Support is not just phone calls. It includes patches, server packs, and more importantly developer relations etc.

• maxxcool

Clearly you do not support small business, schools, non-profits or emerging enterprise customers.

there are tons of things to call on. driver support, kernel debugging, certification… list goes on…

• FroBozz_Inc

To me, “ultimate” implies the best of everything.
    This seems pretty stupid…

• Krogoth

Damm it looks like that makes business the choice for my needs.

• StashTheVampede

Vista Ultimate doesn’t have the words “Business” in it, right? Nor does it have the words “Enterprise”, right? Reading the fine print is important, but how many people actually read the EULA?

We can’t read the EULA before we buy the product, but we are allowed to disagree to it before the install. It’s difficult to returned unopened software back to your retailer, but you can return to MS instead (last I heard, ymmv).

Buyer beware, as usual.

• blastdoor

“Vista Ultimate doesn’t have the words “Business” in it, right?”

Well, Windows 2000 Professional doesn’t have the word “business”, nor does windows xp pro. So, I guess those are consumer OSes?

Ultimate is marketed as being the “ulitmate” windows — a superset of everything else. It’s also the most expensive you can get.

So, I don’t think it is at all unreasonable to have expected it to be exactly those things.

Nice attempt at being an apologist for corporate silliness — you should get a job as a corporate PR droid.

• StashTheVampede

Wut? How am I some form of PR droid for the folks that don’t read the EULA or don’t do some sort of f’ing research on their computer purchases? Vista Ultimate may be marketed as one thing, but it’s clear the support is another.

The folks paying for Vista should do their homework. Buying into a name and word of mouth will always fail.

• blastdoor

Oh yes, you’re right, it’s all the customer’s fault. Go back to your master and get a cookie.

• ludi

Blast doors are supposed to block the explosive release of gasses, not generate them!

• Shark

Does “Professional” not connotate the word “business” to you?

His point seems reasonable.

• Mithent

But equally you can argue that the Ultimate edition should be better than any other one?

• Taddeusz

You could argue that but Ultimate is still a consumer product.

• blastdoor

Oh? And why do consumers need the features of the “Business” edition that are included in “Ulitmate”?

If it’s a “consumer” OS, then shouldn’t “consumer” be in the name?

You people are such tools.

• Taddeusz

Oh, yea, I’m the one that’s a tool. Just because a product doesn’t have “professional,” “business” or “enterprise” in the name doesn’t mean it’s not considered a business product by Microsoft. By the same token just because it doesn’t have “home” in the name doesn’t mean it’s not a consumer product reguardless of available features.

Microsoft carries different support for home and business products due to the differences each group requires. Business products carry a longer support because traditionally they have a longer use. Home users on the other hand traditionally are less conservative than businesses and change more often. They don’t require the length of support that businesses require.

Vista Ultimate was and always has been a consumer product and so it gets consumer support. Complaining about symantics and calling people tools doesn’t solve anything. Take your hate elsewhere.

• Anomymous Gerbil

Pot / kettle. Grow up.

• DrDillyBar

word.

• blitzy

what i also don’t get, is why ms wants to release a refresh in 2yrs.. surely the refresh would be built on the vista kernel, so why would people bother? do they think people want to keep skipping through OSs? its a hassle, there’s still a shocking amount of people running 98… an OS which is nearly 10yrs old (most people are XP these days, but you would be surprised the old junk some people are using)

• swaaye

I guess one should then ask, how many “Ultimate” users will be using Vista in 10 yrs? Did you upgrade from Windows 98, recently? Hell, 98 isn’t even 10 yrs old yet.

• Sargent Duck

No, but it’s 9 years old. close enough.

• blitzy

i’m talking about the average consumer, not enthusiasts… so naturally I haven’t had 98 on any of my computers in many years.

the critical point i am trying to make is this, OSs are becoming ‘good enough’ that product iterations are becoming unnecessary. A good example of this is how many users are happy to stick with WinXP because it meets their needs and Vista doesn’t offer any killer app or feature to give them reason to migrate. so with that in mind, Vista should certainly be ‘good enough’ for many years to come. The fact that there are still people using win98 out there was proof that it can take a lot for some people to shift, since win98 is utterly horrible compared to win2k and beyond.

Also, if I were to buy Vista ultimate and in 2yrs microsoft releases some newer OS with killer features which aren’t ported to Vista I would be pissed off.

and i said nearly 10 years because i don’t know the actual release date of win98 and precision is unnecessary

• Taddeusz

It’s sad how many people are still running 98. Heck, I’ve run into a scant few that are still holding onto 95 for whatever reason. I think mostly because their computer came with it and they don’t know any different.

I for one don’t really expect to be using Vista in 10 years but I suppose it is a possibility. I am an IT professional so I do like to keep my knowledge up to date.

Put this all in perspective. 5 years is a long time in the computer industry. With the exception of Microsoft not releasing a new version of Windows in the last 5 look how far things have come. Now think about 10 years. What computer did you have 10 years ago? In 1997 I think I was still running my 5×86 133 (PR75). It ran Win95 ok but I couldn’t imagine still running that computer 10 years later.

I really don’t believe anyone on these forums is going to be running the same computer 10 years from now let alone 5.

• Trellot

Motherboard-wise, it usually takes me about two-three years to max out the thing with upgrades and such. Then I go and do a complete full upgrade…except perhaps sound system speakers and sound card (unless the sound card isn’t supported obviously…not a big sound guy). So I’d say, on average, I’ve got a completely different machine every 2 1/2 years or so. Gotta keep up with the Joneses!

Trellot