Samsung unveils Q1 Ultra UMPC

Last week, some slides showing a successor to Samsung’s Q1 Ultra-Mobile PC dubbed the Q2 leaked out. As Engadget reports, the company has now unveiled a new UMPC called the Q1 Ultra, which looks pretty much exactly like the so-called Q2 that was pictured in the aforementioned slides. The device has an 800MHz processor and a price tag that will reportedly range from $1,300 to $2,000. Otherwise, the Q2 runs Windows Vista, and it sports a tiny keyboard split into two halves, one on either side of the display.

Engadget hasn’t confirmed any of the final specs, but the Q2 slides from last week said the system would feature two integrated cameras (with 0.3- and 1.3-megapixel resolutions), a 1024×600 display, and support for High Speed Downlink Packet Access, WiBro, 802.11b/g, Bluetooth 2.0, and 10/100Mbps Ethernet connectivity. The Q2 was also said to have as many as 6.5 hours of run time thanks to an extended battery.

• Hattig

I think I’d rather put my money down for a Nokia N800, that’s only $300, and whilst not as powerful it can do most of the general tasks this UMPC can do. I’m sure this device is very nice, but it’s a lot of money.

• nonegatives

Who will be the first to make it run linux?
    They need to add a GPRS phone to it.

• evermore

And shiatsu massage!

• evermore

Wow, let’s take a really slow mobile computer, and make it even slower by slapping Vista on it!

Really, Home Premium, too? Like that thing’s going to be able to make use of any features that Basic doesn’t have?

Given the processor being slower, and assuming they weren’t dumb enough to actually make it slower than the previous model, perhaps that’s an 800MHz Core or Core 2 Solo processor? That might also account partially for the significantly longer battery life, though I don’t know if one of those would be that much better than a Celeron M.

• crazybus

I wonder what CPU it uses. Maybe a Core Solo U1300 underclocked to 400Mhz fsb?

• BobbinThreadbare

Vista doesn’t take any more CPU power than WinXP does, just more memory and graphics power (if you want the new GUI).

• HiggsBoson

Q1 Ultra Ultra-Mobile PC 🙂

Was that a hiccup?

• blastdoor

And if my grandmother had wheels she’s be a wagon. I’m not sure what that means, exactly, but Scotty said it once and it seemed funny.

In any event, this is exactly the kind of over-featured, “we’re not really sure what this thing will be used for, but isn’t it cool that we made it? Please buy it” kind of thing that techno-geeks will love for the spec-sheet and nobody else will ever buy.

good luck dudes. No doubt El Jobso will send you a x-mas card after he strips half the features out of it, tells people what they can actually do with it, and makes a fortune.

• imtheunknown176

I think it’s supposed to show the age of the grandmother. I guesss she predates cars.

• evermore

I think it’s to indicate the absurdity of the idea that if you tack something new onto something old, it doesn’t change the fact that it’s old.