New Intel chipsets to launch at CeBIT

According to a report by DigiTimes, Intel plans to launch its next-gen “Bearlake” series chipsets at the CeBIT show, which has started today and will end on Wednesday, March 21. DigiTimes says the chipsets will introduce support for DDR3 memory as well as Intel’s upcoming 45nm dual-core and quad-core processors, which are said to be code-named Wolfdale and Yorkfield, respectively.

DigiTimes says the successor to Intel’s existing P965 Express chipset will be called the P35, and that it will support front-side bus speeds of 1333MHz and DDR3 memory speeds of 1066MHz. (As a side note, DDR3 RAM will only need 1.5V of voltage to run at 1066MHz, compared to the standard 1.8V for DDR2-800.) The P35 chipset will also have backwards-compatibility support for DDR2 RAM, which should allow motherboard makers to restrict DDR3 support to their high-end P35 boards. Several motherboard manufacturers, including ECS, are already displaying P35 motherboards at the show. The first retail P35 mobos will hit stores in April or May, DigiTimes says.

• fantastic

Who wants to bet that the first DDR3 RAM from OCZ and Corsair is speced for 1.8V and has all kinds of silly heatspreaders all over it? Maybe a couple of 40 mm fans slapped on the top for giggles too. Rhetorical. You know they will.

• evermore

I was thinking “finally”, not “wow already?” I’ve been wishing they’d come out with something new. 975 never seemed impressive, and 965 seemed dated a while ago to me, to the point that when looking at the possibility of a Core2 system, I wasn’t really considering an Intel chipset at all. It just didn’t seem to be anything new or interesting. Bearlake may not bring anything particularly different either, as really none have recently, but at least maybe it’ll feel like I’m getting something high-performance instead of just something that was tweaked to support a new processor.

• Krogoth

975X was damm impressive. It was a large improvement over its predecessor 955X. 975X lasted fairly long for a high-end Intel chipset. It still outperforms the P965 per clock speed.

P965 was just a die-shrink and cut-down version of 975X that was tied to the newer ICH8. It owes its its better overclockiblity over the 975X from 90nm die-shrinkage and 1333 strap.

• Shintai

They both got 1333 and 1600 strap for that matter.

• Shintai

Tempting..but since I got P965 I will wait out. Maybe some P45+Core3+DDR3 1600 as next step 🙂

• Krogoth

Core 3 = Nehalem/Socket H?

• Shintai

Well..2 types of sockets. Desktop/SP Xeons(no IMC) and DP Xeons/MP Xeons(with IMC) but yes.

I have confidence in my C2D will last to mid 2008 with the current speed of multithreaded game development.

• Forge

IMC? A quick Google did not resolve your TLA.

• evermore

Integrated Memory Controller most likely.

• Krogoth

DDR3 in a nutshell is just a cooler and more energy efficent verison of DDR2.

It will not be that much of a big deal for desktop users, but it sure will help in the laptop and desktop replacements.

• Dude-X

I want the Stoakley Platform soon so that I can get the new Mac Pro with PCIe 2.0 and other features.

If Bearlake comes out April/May, that’s good news I think because that means the workstation platform shouldn’t be too far behind.

<crosses fingers>.

• Flying Fox

Once again it shows how futile “future proofing” is. If you want to upgrade, be prepared to change the whole “platform” – CPU + motherboard + RAM.

• StashTheVampede

Damn fucking right. Whenever someone mentions “future” proofing their proposed computer upgrade, it’s always bound to have some holes in it for ‘teh futur’!

Buy for your needs NOW. Be mildly concerned about your needs tomorrow, but today is the day you will use your tool.

• SPOOFE

It depends on what they mean by “future-proofing”. I know that when I build a computer and have to deal with budget constraints, I pick a few lower-end parts with the intention of upgrading when new products are out… to the old high-end products that I couldn’t afford in the first place, but drop in price when the new regime comes in.

But you’re right… I never automatically expect a platform to remain viable for the life of my machine; the tech world is too dynamic to be able to make reliable consumer-level long-term plans like that, in my opinion.

• CampinCarl

Well it depends on how long you want your future to last, too.

• JoshMST

I’m going to be curious about how available DDR3 will actually be in the next few months. I see press releases here and there from the memory guys, but I didn’t think that DDR3 production was going full bore by any stretch of the imagination?

• Krogoth

I am sure that Bearlake will support DDR2 for the time being. It makes no sense to be DDR3-only when DDR3 modules aren’t out in the market yet. Intel simply designed the chipset to support DDR3 once it becomes avaiable.

• Jigar

Hell man …i have to give it to intel (shintai and proct.#$##$$ dont get excited) but they are moving a lot faster then AMD here… and i really like it cause they are burning the hell out of AMD right now.. Expect AMD to come back on this one ????

• Ricardo Dawkins

oh man..these dudes at intel are on something here…

• Smurfer2

I am at a lack for words. Just opened my mouth and read the article in shock! I hadn’t expected this so soon…