Crysis SP and MP demos, open beta planned

German site PC Games has had a chat with Crytek’s CEO and President Cevat Yerli, and has learned that Crytek intends to release an open beta as well as both single- and multi-player demos for Crysis. PC Games says the beta will be open to 20,000 users, and that Crytek will distribute keys on a first come, first served basis. As for the demos, both the single-player demo and the multi-player demo are set to come out some time around the game’s release. PC Games doesn’t explicitly mention a release date, but the info sheet for the game below the article says the game is due out in the third quarter. Thanks to Shacknews for the tip.

• marvelous

i think you can still play crysis with winxp?

• Mocib

Sure.

Crysis can be played with WinXP (DX9) and Vista (DX9/DX10). You gotta have a DX9/SM2 card though. DX8 cards = no go.

• Mocib

According to Crytek the “20,000 keys” is inaccurate though as reported by the fan site inCrysis.

§[<http://incrysis.com/crysis/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=296&Itemid=2<]§ From the forums: q[<1) As previously reported, there's going to be a beta program. While the article says there's going to be 20K keys, this is not true. 2) At least one SP demo 3) At least one MP demo The beta program will occur before the demos. The full retail game is expected in Q3 and the demos will be out shortly before that.<]q

• kilkennycat

The game’s release has been planned to coincide with mainstream mass availability of a full range of Dx10 graphics cards.. no doubt Microsoft (Vista), nVidia, AMD/ATi and other “interested” third parties have been in close contact with EA with regard to the release-timing. Crysis is also Dx9-compatible, but the game is sure to give a huge impetus to Dx10+ Vista hardware/software purchases. A third-quarter release after the Summer vacation-break would seem to be ideal timing.

• sumang007

Is Crysis part of the “Games for Windows” branding strategy?

• indeego

Don’t buy a system for a game, until the game is released… HL2 was released months after they promo’d the 9600, and by it’s release the 9700 was the card to play it ong{<.<}g

• thecoldanddarkone

What are you talking about exactly? The 9700 came out WAY before 9600 series did. Maybe 9800 series?

• lethal

I got my free HL2 copy with CS source and the back catalog so I cant complain :), Besides the 9600XT ran the game pretty good, IIRC it was better than the 5900 when using the DX9 path.

• Satyr

“Don’t buy a system for a game, until the game is released… HL2 was released months after they promo’d the 9600, and by it’s release the 9700 was the card to play it on.”

What? The 9700, and the 9800pro had been out for bloody AGES (remember they only gave out vouchers with the 9800pro). As far as I remember, I had my 6800gt a while before release of HL2!

• indeego

They gave out vouchers with the 9600. I built a system around it. I still have that same card installed. The game didn’t come out for like 4 months after the vouchers came out. My point was I was foolish thinking I was going to be playing a game “bundled” with a card and getting a good deal out of it. Had I just waited for the games release, bought the card that fit the task at hand, I wouldn’t have been so bitter about it.

Nevertheless, I loved HL2, one of the last games I truly enjoyed, in factg{<.<}g

• lp6786