Solid-state Samsung drive climbs to 64GB

PQI, Adtron, and Super Talent have all announed new flash-based solid-state drives this year, and now it’s Samsung’s turn. The Korean flash memory giant has expanded its SSD lineup to include a higher-capacity, speedier 1.8″ model. The new 64GB drive is based on the 1.8″ form factor used by iPods and other hand-held devices. Samsung says the new SSD has a read speed of 64MB/s and a write speed of 45MB/s, which is respectively 20% and 60% faster than the 32GB SSD model it introduced last year. For reference, the firm quotes a 15MB/s read speed and 7MB/s write speed for a standard 1.8″ 80GB hard drive.

The new SSD is scheduled to hit mass production in the second quarter of this year. Samsung only sold 2.2 million SSDs last year, but it expects sales of SSDs like this one to increase to 173 million units this year. By the end of the decade, Samsung believes the figure will hit 2.8 billion.

• UberGerbil

Expect this to cost well over a thousand dollars if you can buy it separately. The 32GB model added at least $900 to the laptops that offered it (mostly subnotebooks only available in Korea and Japan).

Flash prices are dropping, but getting that much Flash running in parallel to offer that kind of read/write speed is still expensive, and will be for a few years yet.

• njsutorius

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this a major breakthrough for the computer as a whole? I would greatly appreciate if someone could break this down for me. The way im seeing it, if flash memory is used for your primary hard drive is this not comparable to having the size of that drive be substitutable or used in conjunction with your system memory? Could this not be an incredible benefit to having every program installed on your system stored in system ram? I mean this would benefit the graphics card immensely as well would it not?

• ew

Solid state hard drives are a major breakthrough but not to the extent your imagining. Compared to traditional hard drives they have significantly less latency which means that random access patterns are now practical. However, they don’t have the necessary bandwidth to replace system memory or memory on graphics cards. They will make swap files much more tolerable.

• UberGerbil

If system performance is being gated by the page file, you should just spend your money on more regular RAM — unless you’re already at 4GB and using a 32bit OS, or you’ve got a notebook that doesn’t allow you to add more RAM.

• UberGerbil

You’re wrong. As ew says, Flash is great for random access but not so good for raw transfer rate. The specs Samsung is quoting (read speed of 64MB/s and a write speed of 45MB/s) are remarkably fast for a Flash drive, but they’re comparable to a desktop hard drive, not system memory (a WD74 Raptor offers about 50-70MB/s transfer rate, for example). Your dual-channel DDR2 running at 800Mhz-1333MHz is in the 8-10*[

• njsutorius

Thanks guys those replies answer my question perfectly. Exactly what i aws looking for.

• Peldor

The projections from Samsung’s PR are absurd.

§[< https://techreport.com/onearticle.x/11434<]§ This article has the *[

• HiggsBoson

Well they are looking at all possible applications of this. Remember that this is a 1.8″ drive which sees applications across a huge area of products, not just PC/PC-variants. Samsung is in a lot of different product segments. I am also doubtful about their sunny volume projects, not only from a sheer numbers standpoint, but also a cost standpoint, but I think we can safely assume that they are looking at more than just PCs.

• moose17145

I wonder if these generate more or less heat than a standard mechanical drive?

Also, when can I get a 3.5″ form one for my desktop that holds well over 100GB? And I also wonder if a 3.5″ version of this would generate more heat than a standard mechanical drive?

• blastdoor

64 GB, eh? That’s big enough for a video iPod. Hmm….

• Wajo

Yes, big enough for a >$1000 dll video iPod

• crose

Announced? Ugh, let me know when I can buy.

• ew

No, this was just an announement.

• Willard

Second quarter? Let’s see, that’s (back of envelope scratching)… Sunday.
    I wish they had pricing info.