Michael Dell runs Linux on his own laptop

After a mass of customer requests on its IdeaStorm site, Dell announced last month that it would start to offer desktop and notebook systems pre-loaded with Linux. According to a report by eWeek, Dell has already kind of started this endeavor. That is, Michael Dell, Dell founder and CEO, is already running a pre-release version of Ubuntu Linux 7.04 on his own personal notebook. According to the 2006 Desktop Linux Survey, Ubuntu has been the most popular Linux distribution since early 2005 and was the most popular choice in August 2006. Recent search statistics from Google Trends suggest that’s still the case.

eWeek says Michael Dell runs Ubuntu 7.04 on a Dell Precision M90 “mobile workstation.” His suite of software tools includes VMware Workstation 6 Beta, OpenOffice.org 2.2, Automatix2, Firefox 2.0.0.3, and Evolution Groupware 2.10. Automatix2 allowed Mr. Dell to install Linux versions of apps including Skype, Opera, Google Earth, and Picasa—all of which he runs on his notebook, eWeek adds.

• stmok

albundy says: l[http://wiki.winehq.org/BenchMark-0.9.33<]§ The current release is Wine 0.9.35 As Wine progresses on, you'll see more and more DirectX features get supported and improved. Bare in mind, these folks are NOT blindly taking MS's code, otherwise MS will come down on them like a ton of bricks! (Ok, a ton of lawyers!). They have to rewrite their own code. And as a result, sometimes, apps don't appear to behave right. Another issue, is those online games using anti-cheat solutions. Some solutions will automatically band or reject you because you aren't using a Windows box, and they detect something else. Anyway, this bit about Dell's boss just reinforces the notion that Dell is probably gonna be using Ubuntu. (assuming Canonical, the company responsible for support, has enough resources to handle such a contract). I prefer that Dell just sell systems without an OS, but have a community page that has info (guides) on how to properly set up an OS to best work on a Dell system. I use Arch Linux (not a simple solution for beginner) and I've managed to get all the power saving features working on my ThinkPad and cousin's Dell notebook. I've set it up such that the CPU always goes to lowest speed until needed. I made it so that "Suspend to RAM" is backed up by "Suspend to Disk". ie: So if you enter "Suspend to RAM", and you accidently pull the power plug or remove the battery, you can resume from "Suspend to Disk" automatically. I gained about 17 minutes extra of battery life compared to using Windows. Actually, Microsoft DOES run Linux. Check their "Open Source Lab". This is where they have set up A LOT of rackmount systems for the sole purpose of studying Linux, BSDs, even Solaris, and tracking what is going on with distros. (They want to keep and eye on their foes).

• Fighterpilot

Interesting that he also use Skype and yet, despite requests it wasnt included in the poll about IM clients used by TR members…

• PRIME1

A Billionaire, and he’s too cheap to buy Windows.

• albundy

A Billionaire, and he’s too -[

• DrCR

Do you really Linuxers are using Linux just to save a few quid?

I know for me personally, hey, I don’t mind it’s cost. But I’m using *nix because it’s superiority over Winblows in many areas.

Still dual booting with two indepenant WinXP installs (via Grub hiding) though. Why? One’s a sandbox, the other for games.

Actually an offical MS DX10 port and application layer to *nix would be a great way for them to get some money out of *nixers….

• steelcity_ballin

Why is this news? Who cares!

• eh?

ummm because it is a good clear indication of Dell’s plans to make linux available

• tempeteduson

My thoughts exactly.

• gerbilspy

I bet Dell released this info just to bitch-slap M$ and Billy-boy. Just because he can. 🙂

• nEtx2

With XP (OEM) being slidelined at the end of the year I can see this being quite a smart business move. Still, do you think he ‘really’ uses it?

• thecoldanddarkone

It’s because Dell is getting its teeth kicked in by hp. It could be just a pr move, and it might not be just a pr move. In the end the only thing that matters is if dell gets bigger and the support isn’t to expensive.

• tempeteduson

Good to hear. I think that for us hardware enthusiasts, to go all-Linux (as opposed to dual-booting) makes more sense for laptops than it does for desktops, since most of us wouldn’t be gaming on the former anyway. I wouldn’t want to waste GPU power idling on the Linux desktop all the time. See, even a greater proportion of notebooks have integrated graphics–lowly Intel G at that–than do average towers. Better yet, I think Linux is perfect for the UMPC/MID that needs a serious cost reduction (and that doesn’t need high-spec hardware or require the functionality that would facilitate).

• Stijn

I agree with you on the gaming part, but does Linux take advantage of features like SpeedStep etc… ?

• bthylafh

Yes, yes it does.

Power management of things other than the CPU is hit-or-miss, because there are a lot of computers with non-standards-compliant ACPI implementations. This is partly because Microsoft had the first working ACPI implementation, but (surprise!) it didn’t adhere to the standard. OEMs used MS’s version because it worked (with Windows).

• tempeteduson

Oh, by “power” I meant the GPU’s potential to run fast. Most Linux titles simply don’t require high-end graphics. That’s all: wasted potential.

• Ricardo Dawkins

oh well, now Bill Gates must admit he too uses *nix on any of his computers.
    And we will see if temperature in hell fall well-below 0° C.