Ubuntu Linux 7.04 hits download mirrors worldwide

Following its biyearly release cycle, Canonical has released version 7.04 of Ubuntu Linux—the most popular (and apparently Michael Dell’s favorite) desktop Linux distribution. Download mirrors for the new operating system are up in all four corners of the world and listed on the Ubuntu website’s front page.

Ubuntu Linux 7.04 features the latest Linux kernel, the latest version of the Gnome desktop environment, and bundled software including Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, Evolution, OpenOffice.org, Gaim/Pidgin, The Gimp, and Rhythmbox. The new distribution also brings a few major new enhancements over its predecessor, including a Windows migration tool that fetches data like bookmarks and IM contacts from a Windows installation, a wizard that automatically installs video codecs, an automatic wireless network selection/roaming tool, and improved support for closed source drivers.

For users who’d rather not install the distribution, the Ubuntu 7.04 installation disc also doubles as a LiveCD. Users can boot from it, get online, and play around with the default Gnome desktop and bundled applications. If they choose to install the distribution, they can do so from the live desktop environment. (Thanks to TR reader Darth_nevus for the tip)

• provoko

Can ubuntu play all my games from WinXP and as fast? For example SupCom, FEAR, HalfLife2, CS, Warcraft3, etc.

• stmok

Question is: Why are people promoting Windows in a topic that announces a new release of a Linux distro?

• bthylafh

Because TR has fanboys of every persuasion.

• provoko

thats sweet in a way, haha

• nagashi

ubuntu is the first linux distro I’ve installed (out of probably 20 attempts) where *everything* has worked out of the box.

Before that, linux was something I always wanted to believe in, but just couldn’t bring myself to when matroska movies wouldn’t play, open office 1.0 was touted as comparable to MS office, and my routing table would be wiped whenever I changed SSIDs on my wireless card.

Ubuntu works, and works well. I still use windows on one of my two computers, but I finally feel that I have a reasonable choice.

• bdwilcox

BartPE is too slow for me to use on a network to Ghost PCs. I use a Ghostcast boot floppy for that. Much quicker.

BartPE is good, but the UltimateBootCDforWindows is even better. It’s built on the BartPE framework, but is more like BartPE on steroids.

§[< http://www.ubcd4win.com/<]§

• bthylafh

Second the UBCD4Win recommendation. We use it all the time.

You can integrate UBCD (the DOS version) as well.

• adisor19

Interesting, something to try out 🙂 Thank you !

Adi

• alex666

Yep, ultimatebootCD is terrific.

• mirkin

BAH !! binary distros …. pfft

hehe – having the install disk double as a live cd is a great idea, should become the preferred method of pron browsing by all windows users.

I been playing arount w/ BartPE lately, which makes a semi windows live cd.
    Anyone else out there in comment land check out bartpe ??

• adisor19

Yes, BartPE is ESSENTIAL for an IT dude. You can make your custom little BartPE cd with all the network drivers for all your variety of Dell PCs in your enterprise and also with Norton Ghost built in. So all you do, is pop it in and boor your PC with it, then you authenticate on your domain and connect your source of ghost images as a drive letter and then you GHOST THAT MOFO ! 🙂

Just a lil trick i learned..

Adi

• adisor19

I clicked upgrade in the Software Update box and my 6.10 is still thinking :s comme on Ubuntu, don’t let me down..

Adi

• ludi

Working the torrent right now at a more-or-less steady 140kbps. Probably will only play with the boot-from-CD option, but I figure my FX-55 should taste a 64-bit OS at least once before reaching old age.

• PRIME1

Running Kubuntu on a screaming fast PIII.

It’s even folding.

• fyo

Running Ubuntu on a screaming fast Duron… ok, not so screaming fast (700MHz), but it runs edgy eft just fine. I installed less than two months ago, though, so I think I’ll hold off on upgrading.

• FubbHead

I’ll be waiting for KDE4 and the Kubuntu coming with it.

• emkubed

Leor’s folding power has increased because of this distro. Fear him!

• adisor19

Time to upgrade my VMWARE Fusion 6.10 with the upgrade manager 😀 Let’s see how this goes and maybe it will restore my faith in Linux 🙂

Adi

• Usacomp2k3

I’m only getting 25kB/sec getting updates now compared to the 600-700 that I usually get. I wonder if worldwide bandwidth is going to spike today 8)

• StashTheVampede

Are you trying a torrent? Going straight to an ISO *can* be slower on release day.

• Usacomp2k3

I’m updating from 6.10, not installing from a cd.

• Usacomp2k3

Actually, since I wasn’t sure I wanted to initiate an upgrade over SSH, I downloaded the alternative cd that you can upgrade from. W00t. Now I just have to drag a monitor into my office to do it from 😛