Halo 3 release date set

Ronald already covered this in the Shortbread, but it deserves a little extra attention. Microsoft has finally announced the release date for the next opus in Bungie’s wildly successful Halo first-person shooter series, Halo 3. The title is scheduled to come out for the Xbox 360 on September 25 in North America. As for European gamers, they’ll have to wait until the following day to get their hands on the game. At launch, Halo 3 will be available in three different editions: a $59.99 Standard Edition, a $69.99 Limited Edition that will come in a metal case with extra content and a fiction and art book, and a $129.99 Legendary Edition that will include two extra discs filled with bonus content, including remastered cinematic sequences from the first two games.

Microsoft’s announcement came late yesterday, shortly before the launch of the Halo 3 multiplayer beta on Xbox Live. The beta has been available since 5:00 AM PDT, and Microsoft says it will run until June 6 at 11:59 PM PDT.

• PetMiceRnice

Expect it to be released for the PC after the next iteration of Windows comes out, and after Bungie makes some unflattering comments about it before the release, and of course after they announce Halo 4 for the Xbox 360 Zune Edition or whatever.

• Pettytheft

Lets get this out the way. Halo is overrated, has bad graphics, is too slow, forces you to use a horrible controller, Bungie sold out, Microsoft ruined the game. It also has lousy colors and poor level design….. let me know if I miss anything here guys.

• tay

Hear hear. I was horrified when I played Halo for the first time on the xbox all those years ago with how bad the control was and how similar it was to everything before it.

• SGT Lindy

Ummm please tell me what came before it ON A CONSOLE that was even close to it???

Halo graphics on the orginal Xbox were amazing at the time….on its modified GeForce 3…especially when you could not even buy the Geforce 3 when the Xbox came out.

• Pettytheft

I think he missed the sarcasm in my post.

• ludi

“…and a $129.99 Legendary Edition that will include two extra discs filled with bonus content, including remastered cinematic sequences from the first two games.”

Awww…you nearly had me there for a minute 🙂

*checks clock* Wait a minute, April 1 is long past? The link does not go back to BBSpot or The Onion? So they’re really hoping to charge more than twice the base cost of the game for “remastered cinematic sequences”?

Either they’ve spiced up the scenes with Cortana considerably, or they’re desperately hoping to find fools with an excess of disposable income.

• imtheunknown176

I think it comes with mini head err helmet too. Not that it makes up for the price.

• SPOOFE

I don’t think there’s anything “desperate” about it; there’re plenty of fools out there with money to burn.

And let’s not forget the Spartan Helmet. Ooooooooh….

• UberGerbil

Well, “including” implies there’s other things too.

But yeah. And still, there are completists / collectors / crazed fans who will buy every last gold-plated special edition, the more expensive the better. They may be insane, but MS isn’t for catering to them and soaking them for every cent they can get.

• Pettytheft

This is a hell of alot more then most collectors editions give you. Plus you forgot the helmet is included. I agree, it’s still lame.

• tay

r[

• ludi

I am Master Chief. I was made in China — it says so on the helmet!

• Bet

Today – computers. Tomorrow – cyborgs.

• PetMiceRnice

The sad part is, some people will gladly pay the $129.99 thinking that they are missing out on something if they don’t. From a business standpoint, it’s an opportunity to ca$h in on a popular franchise, but ultimately consumers allow it to happen by buying at those prices.

• lemonhead

why does this deserve special attention?

• SGT Lindy

Maybe because Halo 2 sold 2.4 million copies in 24 hours and set some kind of crazy record. Over 125 million in one day. The thought is that H3 will top it.

Compare that to Gears of War that sold just over 1 million in 30 days.

• imtheunknown176

Somehow that doesnt make sense in my head. You should probably but the dollar sign on that 125 million.

I doubt it will beat the halo 2 record becuase I don’t think there will be as many 360s sold as there were xboxs sold. Note that I could be completely wrong because I have no idea of the actual numbers.

• Pettytheft

Halo3’s opening will crush Halo2’s. There are over 10mil 360’s sold already. Not to mention there will be a $10 price hike per game sold.

• lemonhead

And this is a console game site now?

Seriously I played Halo and was underwhelmed. I guess consoles don’t have much to choose from. Goldeneye was supposed to be god’s gift too. I had that, it was fun, but not something i’m camping out for if it had a sequel. meh.

• Corrado

I guess since YOU don’t care about consoles no one else should either. If you don’t wanna read it… don’t. Consoles use… get this… TECHNOLOGY. and since this is TechReport, they are reporting on Technology.