Motherboard maker EPoX facing closure?

EPoX hasn’t made many headlines since the glory days of the nForce2-based 8RDA+ and 8RDA3+, but the motherboard manufacturer is still alive today, with a line of reasonably recent motherboards based on Intel’s P965 and Nvidia’s nForce 500-series chipsets. Or at least, it was still alive a couple of months ago. As OC Workbench reports, EPoX hasn’t updated its global website in over two months, and word on the street is that the company may be on the verge of collapse.

It looks like second tier motherboard manufactuer EPoX has kicked the bucket – rumour has it staff haven’t been paid for as long as two months. . . . The company seems recalcitrant to acknowledge its insolvency. Employees have left in floods.

The last we heard of EPoX was back in March 2006, when the firm’s offices in Taiwan were raided as part of an investigation into embezzlement charges. Company chairman Steve Hsiao was alleged to have embezzled the equivalent of no less than $26.2 million between 2001 and 2003.

EPoX may not be going away completely, though. OC Workbench says the rumor mill claims EPoX has set up a new company named SuPoX in order to take on its product lines and carry the proverbial torch. We are attempting to contact EPoX for comment.

• evermore

Say it with me: “I’ll never let go, Jack.”

• BiffStroganoffsky

That may be true but the two FIC boards I had still worked better than the EPoX…not that I bought any of those two brands since.

• neon

A damn shame if true. I suspected this might be going down. Last month, I wrote (on another forum):

q[

• JJCDAD

I still love my 4PCA3+.

6x IDE drives FTW!

• flip-mode

Lots of forum gerbils will weep over this. Motherboard failures have been a non-issue for me regardless of brand so I’ll give this a big “meh”….

I will say Epox used some of the suckiest chipset fans I’ve ever seen.

• Justice

Damn that really sucks if true. I just purchased a new motherboard and it completely rocks!

ยง[< http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813123018<]ยง I need to buy one more before I can't get them anymore.

• Deli

oh man, this really sucks. I preferred to buy their boards more than anybody else. But then their supply to canada got f’d and i was forced to buy DFI. Asus can kiss my ass, overpriced big time for stuff most ppl don’t use.

Here’s to SuPoX

• bdwilcox

Epox was always my first choice. Good, reliable, and basic.

• Delphis

I’ve always like Epox boards.. they seemed to favor passive cooling solutions over whiny fans (I’m looking at you, Abit).

Classic green. Works well. I’m gonna miss it. Supox sounds like a dumb name though. ‘SUpposedly ePOX’.

At least Epox sounded like Epoxy, which is darn good glue ๐Ÿ™‚

• FubbHead

Mmm.. Hate the new name… But the absolute coolest brand name must go to Iwill. ๐Ÿ™‚

By the way… What happened to them?

• albundy

looks like they have a case of chickenpox

• Hance

I just picked up what will probably be my last epox motherboard yesterday ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

I got a 9NPA+ SLI with a X2 4400+ and 2 gigs of ballistix DDR 500 for free. It should make a good system for either my wife or kid and last one of them a long long time.

• Inkedsphynx

I loved my Epox 9NDA3+. It was a great board, and is still kicking in my girlfriends machine, after 3 years. Never had a problem with it. I was going to buy Epox for my latest build, but couldn’t pass up the DS3 with the reviews it had gotten.

• pepys

Same here. Just wanted a good, average board and it’s been totally reliable the last three years.

• mikefitz

glory days my ass, epox was responsible for two of those motherboards experiencing bulging caps on me about two years ago. i decided i would never buy epox again, so their going under is no surprise to me.

• Krogoth

That was an industry-wide problem for boards that were made between (1999-2003).

It started from some dork who only managed to steal half of the formula for a cheap capacitor. These capacitors were used in en mass and were prone to very short lifespans. The problem was just not limited to motherboard it also affected some PSU most notability the Antec Truepower series.

• Inkling

y[

• blase

I saw dead Slot A Abit and Gigabyte motherboards. Never saw a power supply die from cap failure though.

• ew

Yep, he’s right. I had a board fail that way and a couple of my friends did too. None were Epox. I’ve also seen gigabit switches with the problem. Luckily, through-hole capacitors are one of the few components that can be replaced without to much trouble.

• d2brothe

True….I’ve had honestly half a dozen motherboards fail with bad caps in the past few years, a bunch of SOYOs and even an asus. Its to the point I can’t even find a Slot 1 board from my spare CPUs

• Justice

That’s a pretty broad and ignorant statement. Epox wasn’t the only motherboard, or electronics manufacturer that got hit with the waves of bad caps.

• Hance

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I try and buy nothing but EPOX motherboards I have had absolutely fantastic luck with them. All of them I have owned have overclocked extremely well and I had no problems with any of them. They might be called tier 2 but the worst EPOX motherboard I ever owned was ten times better than the best ASUS garbage.

• Sargent Duck

I hear ya. My old computer (now my sisters) had an Epox board with the Via Apollo Pro 133T chipset running my overclocked Pentium 3 @ 1.4Ghz. Not a single issue. Ever. They made a loyal customer in me with that board.

• True Xploder

I remember a cheapo $60 Epox motherboard (8KDA3I I think) that could hit 308HTT and 325 with serious coaxing on my Sempron 2600+. That’s probably the best deal I’ve ever got.

• d2brothe

And thus is the problem with testimonials, maybe you’ve had bad experiences with ASUS, but I can tell you at least, I’ve had better luck with them than any other manufacturer. EpoX and a few old SOYO boards I had my have been a better deal, but definitely weren’t as reliable.

• BiffStroganoffsky

I didn’t even know EPoX was still around. It must have been about ten years since I actually knew they had a product. That K6 VIA chipset board was terrible and support was a no show. The FIC VA-503+ was a much better board and they had some support info on their site. The 503+ was also able to support the K6-500 when it came out whereas the EPoX board could only run it at 366.

• Corrado

Haha FIC… more like FIC-al matter. Those were the worst boards ever.

• natesuniverse

My epox Mvp3G2 seems to have been doing alright at 550 and still is, could never hit that 600 mark though. Might have to give it another try. They didn’t have to much support but most drivers could be downloaded from vendors and boards were stable. As you see in sig 8RDA3+ 2600/333@3200/440. Most likely all that was needed to support prcessor was a bios update which was especially easy with EPOX. Changed my bio three times the other day from windows with no problem.

Hopefully they can salvage something out of the company!!!!!!!!!

No EPOX board means I’m cancelling build for a while. Just means prices have more of a chance to go down and maybe the phoenix will rise from the ashes.

As far as the bad cap issue my nforce2 started to bulge at the caps just after the three year warranty and all that was needed was to pay for shipping. They were great to work with. It was part of their customer service protocol which you will not find much more. I wouldn’t have minded paying a little extra for the work to get board back. Most places do this now.

• Krogoth

It is a damm shame.

EpoX was known to make some affordable, overclocker friendly boards that had none of the bells and whistles of the other brands.

If they are going to resurrected under the SuPox name does that mean their boards are going to be green and be named after terms related to plants? (subtle reference to a cult classic in PC gaming) ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Spotpuff

Note to self: avoid supox.

Epox. Supox. Both sound like some sort of disease.

• Dposcorp

A pox on you and on any clever wordplay. ๐Ÿ™‚

• stdPikachu

SuPox is a disease that BOFH’s give to lusers who abuse the sudoers file.

• Spotpuff

BOFH’s?

I should not trust someone named STD-Pikachu.

• JokerCPoC

their New company SuPox’s name could have been worse, It could have been called r[