Dell’s Linux PCs going on sale this afternoon

Barely a couple of months after announcing plans to offer Linux on its PCs, Dell has officially announced three consumer machines that will go on sale this afternoon with copies of Ubuntu Linux pre-installed. The machines are the Inspiron 1505n notebook and the Dimension E520n and XPS 410n desktops. Dell says the Inspiron E1505n will start at $599 with a 15.4″ 1280×800 display, a “Pentium Dual Core T2080” processor, integrated Intel GMA 950 graphics, 512MB of shared memory, 802.11g Wi-Fi, and an 80GB hard drive.

As for the desktops, the Dimension E520n will also start at $599, but with a Core 2 Duo E4300 processor, 1GB of RAM, a 250GB hard drive, an Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE graphics card, and a bundled 17″ LCD monitor. The XPS 410n will have similar specs but with a $849 price tag, a DVD burner, and an upgrade to a 19″ LCD monitor. All three machines will come with Ubuntu Linux 7.04 pre-installed, and they’ll become available at 4:00 PM CDT today from Dell’s www.dell.com/open page.

• CampinCarl

I find it interesting that they do not advertise their open source products on their main webpage. If you go to dell.com and try and customize any of the Inspiron laptops, they all come with Windows. No opportunity to switch it to Linux.

Gee, now I’m really starting to think they don’t want to actually sell any.

• Tumbleweed

I priced on eof the 1505s out with Ubuntu vs Windows, and it came to a $80 difference between them. The only hardware difference was that with the Ubuntu version, the integrated graphics was the only option, whereas the Windows allowed discrete graphics. An unfortunate choice for the Unbuntu version, but there ya go. I was hoping for Ubuntu on the XPS 1210, but oh well.

• ginsuedog

I don’t know Linux has come a long way compared to two years ago. If Dell did things right it may work out really well.

Looking at the price for that laptop, I may end up buying one.

gsd

• pani_alex

comparing the prices:
      Inspiron™ 6400= Procesador Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core T2080, Windows Vista Home, Pantalla Amplia de 15.4″ XGA, 1.0GB,DDR2 SDRAM,2 DIMM,533MHz, Disco Duro de 80GB a 5400rpm, Combo Quemador CD’s CD-RW/DVD 24X, Tarjeta Inalámbrica Intel PRO Wireless 3945 802.11 a/b/g (54Mbps) (IP3945)
      649$
      Inspiron E1505 N= Intel® Pentium® dual-core proc T2080, Ubuntu Edition version 7.04, 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA , 512MB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 DIMM, 80GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive, 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
      599$

thise is not realy a lotery since the linux have 512mb les of memory and the OS donesent cos 40$. Also the linux chouse have les options. Personaly i say thise is a joke.

• Corrado

“Hello thanks for calling Dell Technical Support, this is Mark how can I help you today?”

“I bough this copy of The Sims at WalMart today and I can’t seem to get it to run on this Yoo-Boon-Two doohicky you got goin on here”

• emkubed

Exactly. But I’m a fan of what they’re doing nonetheless.

• Taddeusz

I wonder how many of these computers they sell pre-loaded with Ubuntu are going to eventually end up with Windows installed on them instead?

• fyo

None, probably, unless the price difference is significant (in Ubuntu’s favor).

• Hance

A no OS installed option would be great IMHO. That or a no crapware option. I just got a new Dell laptop and had no less than 5 programs nagging me to set them up or subscribe to some service or the other the first time I booted it up. I ended up formatting a brand new system just to get rid of the crapware before I even used it. Now I just need to image the drive so future formats will be fast and painless.

• Usacomp2k3

The XPS side has that as an option, actually. Bloatless.

• Hance

My inspiron is built on the exact same chassis as the XPS M1710 and cost over a thousand bucks less than an XPS configured the same way. I gave up the bling bling lights and the cool paint job other than that its the same system. I will gladly give up the couple of hours it took me to format and reinstall windows to save a grand.

• bdwilcox

Meet PC Decrapifier (Formerly Dell Decrapifier)

§[<http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/<]§

• Shinare

So why not just sell the hardware with no OS on it at all? Seems like just supporting the physical functionality of the hardware would be easier.

• Taddeusz

Because that would break their deal with Microsoft. Selling a computer without an OS is akin to piracy. They presume that the user who is buying the OS-less computer is going to put an illegal operating system on it.

When my company buys servers we buy them from Dell OS-less. But then we buy an Open License Windows Server to go with it. No retail or OEM for us.

• fyo

It’s also a support issue. With a pre-installed OS, Dell has complete control over what applications are installed initially and what the different settings are. Therefore, everything “just works” out of the box and any problems are virtually always due to user-installed applications.

• Debacle

I’m also interested to see how the sales of these models are in a year. I have a feeling that Dell is getting taken for a ride here. Most of the people who voted on Dell’s site to install Linux probably will never buy a Dell with Linux. This could be just a very loud minority that will end up costing Dell $$$ in the end. I guess we’ll find out in a year or so.

Although if this doesn’t work out, it may discourage other PC makers from trying LOTD as well and solidify Microsoft’s position.

• eitje

it’s an important step to at least LOOK progressive. if people are asking for it, then why not give it a shot?

• Shinare

But will it run… oh.

• eitje

it’ll even fold!! 😀

• Debacle

My main question is: Are these any cheaper than if Windows Vista was included? And if so, by how much?

Or is reduced cost not the main reason for these?

• king_kilr

Someone told me when they spec’d the laptop out it was an $100 difference, not sure what the actual costs were though.

• packfan_dave

I’ll take six months in the pool for how long it takes Dell to drop this idea. No one’s ever made money on desktop Linux, and no one ever will.

• indeego