OCZ acquires PC Power & Cooling

OCZ has informed us that it has just acquired revered power supply maker PC Power & Cooling. Here’s the skinny from the official press release:

Sunnyvale, Calif.—May 25, 2007—OCZ today announced immediate plans to bring PC Power & Cooling into the OCZ Technology Group. As a worldwide leader in high performance computer hardware, OCZ acquired PC Power & Cooling to utilize their keen expertise in power management and take the organization to the next level. This compelling partnership between the two like-minded companies will create a powerful fusion of patented technologies, innovative, high quality PC components, and improved accessibility of premium solutions for customers worldwide. All parties, including the consumer, will benefit from the acquisition; the combined company is now situated to deliver ground-breaking power solutions to meet the growing demand for efficient, high performance components to power the computing needs of gaming, enthusiast, and mission-critical systems builders alike.

PC Power & Cooling’s power supply lineup will maintain its name and branding, becoming the “premium-grade PSU collection from OCZ.” The company’s CEO, Doug Dodson, will also assume the role of OCZ’s Chief Technology Officer.

• Forge

RyanP/OCZDevil:

HEY! My Accord resents your resentment. I referred to Honda as in ‘big name, wide market saturation, reasonable pricing’ versus Ferrari as in ‘big name, very niche market, extreme pricing’.

I suck at car analogies, but they’re something of a requirement online. 🙁

#35, Cupojava: We can’t all be English majors. I assume your typo was supposed to indicate irony or humor?

• just brew it!

It’s good to see OCZ employees dropping in on the thread, and willing to take constructive criticism. I think that says a lot about the company they have become.

TR actually loaned me a couple of OCZ PowerStream PSUs a little while back, for a project I was doing for them. While I’d put myself in the “no LEDs please” camp, I was fairly impressed with the PowerStreams. They seem to be quality units.

I’ve not been an OCZ customer in the past, but I would consider them in the future.

• pedro

Remind me never to buy out a company and let that information leak out onto TR. Jesus people!

• swaaye

I have a PCP&C 300 W Turbo cool from 1999 that is still running great. It was awfully loud though, so I put a quieter 80mm in it. 🙂 It doesn’t get loaded down heavily anyway.

I also have an OCZ Gamexstream 600 W in my main rig and it has been a quiet and totally faithful performer over the past 8 months or so.

OCZ’s RAM has worked well for me on several occasions, as well.

This purchase of PCP&C should only mean good things for their PSUs. But it’s not like they’ve been bad up till now! (I think they were relabeling FSP Group PSUs tho)

• JokerCPoC

I’m just lucky the OCZ 700w GameXstream that I have works, It won’t do a cold boot at 3.37GHz with My setup on PC4, Only a warm boot with a cleared cmos(Bios has to the cleared 1st), Then I load the saved profile back into the Bios and reboot.

• Dposcorp

OCZ has been good to me since TR started recomending them.

My 600W Powerstream just died, but they quickly sent me a 700Watt Gamesteam, so all is well.

My second system is running a 520W Powerstream with no problems.

As long as I can get 5 year warrantys, I’ll shell out my hard earned cash.

BTW, OCZ employees, any chance we will get a new PS that has the external rail control and and the green/red LEDs like the power streams had?

I was told by your support, during my rma, the supplier wont make them for you anymore.

• azander

Thanks for the comments Dposcorp. The team here at TR liked the PSU’s so much they asked us to outfit all their test benches. It was a great way for us to stress our units too, and it has worked out great.

Customer service is just as important as a solid product, and we make sure that our phone and forum tech team is both knowledgeable and willing to help out at all times.

Regarding the adjustable rails, we actually are working on next generation designs of the pots found on the original PowerStream. Many enthusiasts loved the feature and we wanted to improve on the design to give more control to the consumer and still offer plenty of protection to the core of the PSU. We are still devloping the solution and when ready will implement it back into a future model.

• FranzVonPapen

I’ve bought 5 powersupplies from PCPC in the last 5 years. Sure, they’re marketed as upscale units, but when I had one fail (stopped powering on), the RMA procedure was *[

• moose17145

Lol. Maybe you should check in with them again since they are now owned by OCZ (or will be shortly?). I hear OCZ has pretty decent support for their product (i would speak first hand but i cannot… i haven’t had anything of their’s fail yet!). I would assume that you would still be able to get your unit replaced, since the PCP&C acquisition also means that they have to acquire the warranties for all the PCP&C units still on the market. Might be worth it to just try back in a little while and see what happens… if you still get crap service the obviously just forget hassling with it, but you might get lucky and just get a new PSU outta it… even if you don’t NEED it, it might be nice to have… kinda like a spare tire on the road of life if you will 😉

• flip-mode

Meh, I don’t care either way. There is such a thing as overkill and PCP&C measures up to that. Granted, for some people overkill is what they’re aiming for. My point is that those things are way way out of my bang / buck sector so I couldn’t care less. You won’t fine me with an 8800-Ultra or an FXtreme edition CPU either.

Good luck to OCZ (what does that stand for anyway? Over Clocking Zenith?) and PCP&C in this course of action though. I must say that it’s commendable that OCZ reps care enough about “the community” to stop in here and chat with people. Trustworthyness does seem to be an overarching goal for the company and that’s good to know.

• ludi

I think we need a crop duster loaded with Valium to make a low, slow pass over this thread. OCZ has money, access to top talent, and a reasonable amount of name recognition in the enthusiast sector; PCP&C has great PSU designs. This buyout/merger is a bad thing…why?

• kitsura

So does Microsoft. But why do they keep making such bad OSes?

• ludi

Uhm…I’m guessing logic isn’t your native language.

• kitsura

Neither is it yours. If you think that money, talent and brand recognition is all that it takes for a company to make a good product then you are so naive.

But then I guess that’s what marketing is for.

• moose17145

Except OCZ DOES have great products. I replaced my 520 watt psu with a 600 watt PowerStream and it has been one of the most stable and forgiving PSU’s I have ever seen. They also make great memory too IMO. But that is a different thread for a different day i suppose.

He was saying OCZ has the money, access to talented professionals, and the brand recognition. Meanwhile PCP&C has possibly the best PSU designs in the market right now, that from what i have seen… simply cannot even be matched, let alone beat. So you combine these FOUR things together, and you get awesomeness in a retail box. See your mistake lies in the fact you forgot to take into account he included the point that PCP&C has the top notch PSU designs, and that now means OCZ owns those top notch PSU designs. Also OCZ made great products to begin with, so this can only improve upon what they currently have as far as i can see (hopefully this is good for PCP&C also if what TR said about them retaining their name brand is to be true). Also you made another fatal flaw of comparing a hardware company to a software giant like M$ that essentially has a monopoly on the market. M$ doesn’t need name recognition, they have it because your stuck with it, plain and simple. So if their OS sucks… well TS for you i guess then, cause your stuck. Oh sure you can play the “well i’ll switch over to Linux/OSX then… “. Cept you won’t if you still wanna play games, so there you’re still stuck with M$. But what about OCZ? Well if their product sucks… TS for them, not you, cause they have a million other competitors out there making PSU’s all trying to compete with them (Antec, Corsair, BFG, Aspire, Enermax, Thermaltake, and that’s just scratching the surface), so name brand recognition has to be earned for them, it just simply isn’t something that they have no matter what because that is who you are stuck with. So name recognition goes a long ways in this part of the market, anyone who says otherwise is blind. But that ties in with his other two points about having the money and top talent. Since they now have the name recognition that they had to earn, they clearly have been using that money and top talent wisely for the good of their company and the good of the consumer (it is a business, so you HAVE to have both, can’t just look out for one or the other).

There. Did i break down the logic enough for you?

• ludi

Seriously, though — do you even listen to yourself talk?

You chose a successful software vendor, established your argument on the highly questionable and opinionated premise that “they keep making bad OSes”, then non-sequituired that into an argument about a completely different company that caters to a relatively limited line of hardware products.

Previously in the thread, you asserted that PCP&P was being “crapped on” by a mutually-agreed-upon purchase arrangement, on the extraordinarily flimsy basis that you didn’t like OCZ’s previous rebadge and in-house PSU designs.

And for all this you were expecting…what, exactly? What WERE you expecting? Because if it was a smooth reaffirmance of your sagacity you were after, you sure picked a funny way of seeking it.

• kitsura

Firstly MS was just used as an analogy. Secondly if you really want an example of a more closely related hardware company just take a look at AMD. Shouldn’t their aquisition of ATI produce the synergy you theoreticise. Yet we don’t see lots of ATI supporter waxing lyrical about the recently released Radeon 2900 series.

Next, you make it sound as if all aquisitions are a good thing. Most of them are good, for the companies involved that is. But how is lesser competition supposed to be good for the consumer.

And since your beef is with the negativity in this thread in general, go pick on some other posts to rant on. Otherwise I will start having an impression that you have something against me specifically.

• moose17145

Less competition…?!??!?!??!?!??!? Ok seriously… do you even follow the PSU market AT ALL? Have you seen how many people are making power supplies now? Pretty sure there isn’t a lack of competition in the PSU market given every idiot and their brother seems to be getting in on it anymore. So I am pretty sure competition isn’t an issue. Christ there are even a decent number of companies that make good competitive power supplies. Lets list some shall we…

Corsair
            Enermax
            Antec
            BFG
            Silverstone
            Thermaltake
            Zalman
            SeaSonic
            OCZ
            PCP&C

So we take OCZ and PCP&C and combine them to make OCZ Power and Cooling… and we are left with 9 competitors that make good PSU’s (from my experience), … is that not enough for you? Not to mention the other merry odd of other makers that provide ok PSU’s when you don’t need something high end, but that will get the job done.

Think you need to rethink your argument about “less competition”… this isn’t some situation like in the video card and CPU market where there are only two major players in each (OR ironically only 3 competitors if you combine those two markets and look at the total number of competitors!). Competition is plentiful in this market… almost too plentiful at times.

• just brew it!

It’s not quite that simple. Many (maybe even most) of the “brands” of PSU we’re familiar with don’t actually manufacture PSUs. They just rebadge PSUs made by someone else.

• moose17145

That might be true… but the fact remains that there certainly is not a lack of competition in the market. Also among more of the better manufacturers i have noticed that there does seam to be a decent amount of variety between brands, enough so that i wouldn’t say they are all just rebadged units. Like if you look at Corsair’s PSU’s and compare them to PCP&C or OCZ, or BFG or Enermax… you notice all really are pretty different from each other, enough so that they certainly aren’t just all the same PSU under different names. From what i have seen, it seems that rebadging PSU’s is something more that the “middle market” does. That area of the market where Rosewill and the other makers float that do not make high end PSU’s… but not low end ones either. Most of those all seem pretty identical. But we can essentially ignore that segment of the market since we are focusing on the higher end market… or else we wouldn’t be talking about OCZ and PCP&C.

• just brew it!

Actually, it is fairly well known that some of PCP&C’s PSUs were made for them by Seasonic…

• moose17145

“some” = key word

Meaning they still make their own designs. My point stands… competition in this market is plentiful.

• Nullvoid

There is actually quite a lot of dispute over whether they do carry out any of the design themselves or whether it was/is all handled by win-tact and seasonic.

• bthylafh

Astroturf much?

• ludi

Nope. Randomly insult much?

I don’t work for OCZ, if that’s what you’re after, although I am well acquainted with MS, who is presently their product VP. Product-wise, I own exactly two OCZ memory sticks (and nothing else of theirs), purchased from Newegg, although I also have Muskin, Kingston, and Corsair memory kicking around in some of my other systems. Typical enthusiast fair.

My beef is that there’s a lot of negativity-for-negativity’s sake going around this thread without good cause (your post now included).

• azander

Thanks ludi, appreciate the kind words. We have always been committed to delivering top notch solutions, and after talking to PC Power we were thrilled to find a company that shared a similar culture and vision. We look forward to making PC Power solutions more available to consumers that are looking for a premium solution, and are investing more resources into R&D, which is still led on the power management side by Doug. At the same time we have a wide range of new premium memory solutions on the way as well. Ryan, our CEO, is a total overclocker and is happiest in the lab developing new modules.

Anyways, good or bad we do appreciate everyone’s comments, as we take them very seriously, and strive to deliver the very best solutions.

• kitsura

If you mentioned OCZ’s memory no one mistaken it as anything but one of the best in the memory world.

But mention OCZ’s PSU’s and people always associate it with bling or fancy power ratings without active PFC (early days). And seriously which high-end PSU uses modular cables anyway?

No doubt OCZ can be considered the Ferrari of the memory world but it’s not even a Honda in the PSU world. Calling it that is an insult to Honda which builds good cars. In fact I can think of so many better PSUs which are cheaper and better than OCZ’s lineup.

As a PCP&C PSU owner its really a sad day to see one of my favourite brands being crapped on.

• azander

Hi Guys, identifying myself as an OCZ employee. Appreciate all the dialogue first of all. Lots of stuff here, and I’m taking it all in. We have always been focused on the high performance market, and memory like our Flex is pure enthusiast. But we do like to try and provide a wide range of solutions for our customers. Rest assured that PC Power & Cooling brand and product line will remain perfectly intact. In fact they are getting some more resources for additional R&D. Our existing lineup of PSU’s will continue to exist and the acquisition now allows us to serve a broader audience.

One thing we appreciate is each and every customer has a unique need. We care most about quality, but your right, some people like lights, some don’t. Some like modular designs, others don’t. Now we can offer a complete range from a gaming product all the way to a industrial server solution. Thanks for all the comments guys.

• danny e.

put quiet 120mm fans in the PC P&C units and you’ll make $$$

• rosselt

i agree, i only buy PSU’s with 120mm fans or higher (have a 600w silverstone atm) and the 80mm fans on the PCP&C PSU’s put me off them.

• Nullvoid

“a pair of 80MM fans at a very low RPM can actually cool a PSU better than any 120MM fan can at a much lower noise level.”

That’s a quote taken from jonnyguru’s latest psu review. So a 120mm fan isn’t necessarily the most effective option.

• moose17145

My PowerStream 600 watt is EASILY the quietest part in my whole computer, and it has two 80mm fans in it. I can barely hear it when it is just running by itself let alone with an entire system running along with it. there is nothing wrong with 80mm fans and being able to make a near silent PSU… it’s just that most manufacturers don’t take it that route.

• OCZdevil

Hi guys

First of all , thanks for commenting on this !

You should all know that , OCZ as big as we have grown , are completely dedicated to making the best products on the market thats how we got to the top . ( I kinda resent the comment that we are like honda , being that we do make some of the fastest memory on the market)

I am a huge Overclocker , and the reason we bought PC power and cooling is simply because they make the best psu’s , And frankly I cant stand to be second best in terms of product quality

Doug Dodson PC power CEO ( who happens to be a great guy) , will be taking over as our power management Division CTO , Which means we will be able to improve OCZ PSUs ( which will be aimed at the mass market) and have PC Power as our flagship line !

I can not stress this last one enough , we are huge customer service fanatics , and we want to not only keep their customer service levels high , but improve them further.

(by the Way Ferrari was bought out by fiat a while back )

What I have learned form your posts is that OCZ needs to setup a method for the customers to directly contact the executives , so that you can have your input on what we should be doing , as honestly if I were and PC power customer , not knowing I might worry also .

Thanks
    Ryan Petersen , CEO
    OCZ Technology Group Inc,

• cupojava

Is English your native language?

If so, is this is a joke?

• kitsura

” is this is a joke”

I guess English is not your native language either. 😛

• crose

oh my God! Yoor speling sucks big time dude!

• flip-mode

Damage, Diss, someone, PLEASE nuke post #35.

• jazper

Ugh!..

Hyundai buying mercedes…

..That said, OCZ’s last 2 lines of power supplies haven’t been half bad. The ocz GameXstream (dumb name) isn’t a bad supply despite the bling.

• herothezero

q[

• Gungir

You forgot a tag there;

</reading_too_much_into_the_matter>

• alex666

Aargh, I bought my first PC Power and Cooling psu just a few months ago. I was able to call them on the phone, immediately get a very nice woman at the other end (no phone tree) who was knowledgeable and could give me information immediately. I purchased a refurb 610 Silencer at a heck of a price, and with a lifetime guarantee. I loved it, I could hear her yell “Hey Harry, do we have any 610 refurbs in stock”, something like that. It was terrific. Not something you run into with hardware companies very often anymore. I seriously doubt I’ll be able to call OCZ and get the same kind of service. And don’t get me wrong, I own some plat rev.2 512 X 2 ddr, killer memory to this day. PC P &P was a bit of an anachronism I guess. So long folks. You guys were first class.

• just brew it!

This reminds me of a few weeks ago, when Best Buy announced that they were acquiring my ISP (Speakeasy)…

• Ragnar Dan

I think I’m going to be sick.

• danny e.

on the brigth side, maybe OCZ will introduce PC P&C to quiet 120mm fans rather than the louder than life 80mm ones like in my 550W PCPCPCPC supply.

• Spotpuff

Hopefully they can keep product quality without the sticker shock.

• continuum

Unlikely.

I’ll be happy if they can just keep the product quality; from what I’ve seen of OCZ’s units, they’re not even close to much of what PCP&C has done as far as reliability goes. However, PCP&C has been lagging as far as efficiency goes, and if this helps them stay on top, then all the better.

For high-reliability consumer and small entry-level server PSUs PCP&C has been a favorite of many for a long time due to their reliability. I sincerely hope this holds true now that they are under the ownership of company whose brand name is many tiers lower than PCP&C in the difficult area of reliability.

• Buub

Wow, I guess this completes the transformation from OCZ the rip-off artist in their early days to OCZ the company that takes making quality products seriously.

Why buy a stodgy company like PCP&C unless you’re interested in making really great power supplies? There is no other appeal, really, to PCP&C’s lineup. It isn’t trendy or fashionable. So I can only conclude that OCZ wants to make the best power supplies.

And really, what’s wrong with some LEDs in a PSU? It’s not necessary, certainly, but it doesn’t hurt anything. LEDs are very low energy and run cool, so it doesn’t compromise the function in anyway. And for some people, it’s cool to look at. I don’t see the harm. I certainly don’t need them in my PSUs, but I wouldn’t swear off a brand just because they include them.

• Krogoth

Excessive LEDs look very stupid and scream “ricer” PC.

• sigher

Isn’t it corsair that rices up RAM? with flashy displays telling the time of day and such, why are people falling all over OCZ all of a sudden? they made/make fine RAM and I hear their powersupplies are ok too, in fact doesn’t techreport use them in their setups?

I see they do: “Also, all of our test systems were powered by OCZ GameXStream 700W power supply units. Thanks to OCZ for providing these units for our use in testing.”
        -from a recent 8800 card test

NB. I agree on the ‘camo’ RAM being silly.

• gtoulouzas

LEDs can be very annoying when you are trying to get to sleep with a computer in the room.

If cases and PSUs had a simple switch to turn the things off when you wanted to, I would have no problem with them. I might even prefer them over a corresponding “plain” peripheral. But I’m not going to buy anything with a mandatory 24/7 integrated nightlight, thank you very much. I learned that lesson the hard way with Microsoft’s first generation Intellimice. 😉

• Gungir

All permanent connections can be made switchable with appropriate application of cutting force and solder.

• ludi

OCZ (the rip-off artists) was a back-room operation in a low-rent district. OCZ (the current company) is pretty much a ground-up rebuild that carries the name and IP assets and not much else. Also, the current OCZ pays rent in Sunnyvale, which says quite a bit about the health and goals of the company.

• madgun

It’s totally un-believable!! Pc Power and Cooling has been the undisputed king of PSU manufacturers, and I owned two of their high end series since 2005. I am totally disgusted by the takeover and hope OCZ doesn’t end up introducing sub-standard Power supplies to the Pc Power and Cooling’s excellent lineup. If it would have been the other way around i would have been a lot happier, but this is totally outrageous. Damn OCZ !!!

PS: I truely hate the concept of LED fans inside a Power supply, why make a PSU into a Christmas tree.

• Gungir

If you could turn a profit on it, why not? People make millions off of crystal tail lights, which strikes me as the same phenomenon.

• Krogoth

WTF? This can’t be happening.

Anybody going to take bets that OCZ is going to crap all over PC P&C name? I like PC P&C PSUs because they were engineered and build like tanks with none of the bling, bling BS.

My biggest beef with OCZ is their over usage of bling bling. Who the freaking heck puts LEDs fans and other junk in their PSUs?

At very least, I hope that OCZ simply owns the brand and allows the folks at PC P&C to do their business.

I guess this leaves Zippy/Emacs as the last, powerful conservative PSU manufacturer left.

• CampinCarl

What about Seasonic?

• barich

And FSP/Sparkle?

• Krogoth

Seasonics are geared towards low-noise crowd. They are fairly robust PSUs, but lack the staying power of PC P&C and Zippy PSU.

Sliverstone is another worthy mentioned that I forgot about.

Tagans are pretty soild as well, but are more well-known in EU.

FSP PSUs are pretty good for the price, but also lack the staying power of the aforementioned choices.

• Forge

Oh dear sweet Jebus. Excuse me while I go puke in shock.

It’s not that OCZ is bad news or that PCP&C hasn’t been wandering around pretty aimlessly for a while now, but it’s like hearing that Honda just bought Ferrari. One is mass market and widely accepted, the other is uber-boutique and ultra-high-end.

Holy Moses. Is it April 1st?? I didn’t think OCZ’s pockets were that deep. I’m seriously impressed.

• Gungir

You might be surprised how many people specifically ask for OCZ memory. I mean, come on, man, a company that makes frickin’ /[

• pedro

Hahaha… intense shit!

• indeego

I’d take a Honda over a ferrari every time. 🙂 Reliability trumps flashinessg{<.<}g

• madgun

Pc Power is extremely reliable and their Tech support service is one of the best in the US. So i don’t think reliability is the issue here, it’s more about OCZ introducing their crappy bling bling into an awesome lineup.