XFX demos passively cooled GeForce 8600 GT

COMPUTEX — We’ve been roaming the halls of Computex all day today, and we’ve come across some interesting new products along the way. One of those is a new graphics card by XFX dubbed the GeForce 8600 GT Fatal1ty Professional Series. This was the only new product XFX unveiled, but the firm played up the card’s release by having Johnathan “Fatal1ty” Wendel appear at the launch event and make a speech about his belief in the credibility of pro gaming.

This card is a version of the GeForce 8600 GT that’s both overclocked and outfitted with a passive cooler. Its core speed was pushed to a blistering 620MHz and its memory runs at no less than 850MHz. That’s quite a bit faster than Nvidia’s stock GeForce 8600 GT, which has respective core and memory speeds of 540MHz and 700MHz—and, of course, a regular air cooler.

XFX tells us the card should be available immediately with a $200 price tag. The firm was mute on how high the passive cooler pushes temperatures, but it may not be that high, because XFX says overclockers might be able to squeeze even higher clock speeds out of this card.

• 5150

Fatality couldn’t hit any of those chicks.

• albundy

LOL! look at his face! The forty year old virgin has two hot girls on both sides, and all he can do is hold a video card.

• Rakhmaninov3

mmm booth nymphs. I think we could use some more T & A around here, after all.

But, obviously, not at the cost of any T & L 🙂

• QuailRider

OK, I’m feeling a bit jaded today so bare with me.

Hardware manufacturers, please note: I have never, nor will I ever, purchase any hardware with Fatal1ty branding. I don’t care about cheesy marketing attempts to reach what you wrongly consider to be the “gamer” demographic. Booth babes are amusing, but don’t influence my buying decisions (most of them barely understand what they are selling, beyond themselves that is). I don’t have a window in my pc. I don’t care what anime or fantasy picture you stamp on your reference boards to differentiate them from your competitor’s reference boards. I don’t look at your stupid generic gaming artwork on your boxes. I don’t care how many GT’s, OC’s, or X’s you put in your product name. I shop for bug free drivers, quiet operation, performance, and open source friendly hardware documentation in that order.

With that out of the way, let me say that passive cooling options are most welcome in a HTPC or office pc setting, and I’d like to see more silent products being produced. But don’t try to pass this off as a great gaming solution, and lay off the Fatal1ty branding PLEASE!

• Jive

Most of us enthusiasts could care less about the branding, but those kids with money could gloat about their fatality hardware to their friends. And there are a LOT of those kids, hence a lot of money to be made.

• moose17145

I was looking at a Fatal1ty branded case a while back on newegg… it was actually a decent case… well built, sturdy, but way outta my price range. Probably because it has Fatal1ty branded on the side of it. If it were a lot cheaper i might have boughten it… but it sure wasn’t because it had his stupid name on it. What I am saying is… i won’t not buy something just because it has his name on it, or some other label… but likewise… i also won’t buy it just because it does.

On a side note I am in college and very much appreciate the booth babes and would not mind seeing more please!

• Anomymous Gerbil

You mean, you could b[

• Flying Fox

Branding or not, the passive cooling solution seems pretty well done. Price premium is not that big from the regular versions. That’s all I care about.

• lex-ington

The heatpipes on the graphics card almost as big as the ones in that case. $%$#!(^ :O

• Mithent

Unfortunately, ever since I’ve had a passively-cooled Radeon 9800 Pro that crashes frequently, I find it hard to trust passively-cooled cards. Maybe that one was just no good, or they’re very dependent on a well-constructed airflow through the case?

• Saribro

A 9800 Pro would indeed need good case airflow to be used passively.
      I believe the Zalman ZM80 series GPU coolers even specify the 9800 as -needing- the optional fan.
      Personally I’ve had great success with passively cooled 9600Pro’s and 7600GS’s.

• pedro

I’ve got a Thermalright on my ECS 8600 GT. No crashing. No problems. Passive.

• maroon1

The girls in the picture are very very beautiful

I wish if they sell those two girls, instead of 8600GT !!!

• wierdo

pretty overclocked girls, hur hur</geek>

• sigher

Yeah nice to see girls who don’t look so skanky (and/or fat) at a event like that.

• JJCDAD

Those two girls in SLI configuration! mmmmm

/dirty old man

• kilkennycat

Any sign of an AGP version of the 8600 at Computex?

Sapphire has just announced an AGP version of the ATi/AMD 2600 XT. Can’t see nVidia leaving ATi alone for long in the AGP upgrade area. And nVidia has their PCIe to AGP interface chip.

The AGP upgrade market still has a lot of life left, especially if the upgrade opens the window to complete Vista compatibility, Dx10 gaming and high-performance hardware-assisted HD-DVD decoding.

Yes, both the ageing CPU and a mid-line GPU will limit the Dx10 gaming performance of an older AGP system, but not all of us need bleeding-edge capability.

• droopy1592

Tell me about. First passively cooled AGP DX10 card is going into my box.

• Sargent Duck

[quote] his belief in the credibility of pro gaming

I’m so glad us gamers have Mr. Fatality there to speak for us, to get gaming on TSN.

• gratuitous
      • echo_seven

<– embarrassed that he looked…

That black thing appears to be an “X”, so it’s probably some kind of “XFX” fake tattoo/bodypaint or something.

• flip-mode

There are numerous ways that graph don’t apply anymore

• moose17145

I know… there’s not nearly enough mac bashing going on to support that graph… truly a sad day indeed **lowers head**

• Justice

Hmmm.. Nice girls, but I wouldn’t take either. I go against the grain. I like girls like I like my cars, fast and modified.

Seriously though.. too young for my tastes… They look like their still in HS.

• NeronetFi

I agree it looks like they just stopped by the local HS or mall to pick up those girls.

• NeronetFi

If you click on the image with the girls to get the larger version. Behind them to the left it looks like a mirror or something, you can see the crowd in front of them. Top right corner of the mirror some guy looks like he is trying real hard to get a look.

• Shinare

If I wasn’t married I certainly wouldn’t turn away either.

• Justice

I’d have too. They’re not top heavy enough for me, plus meh… just not attractive to me.

• DreadCthulhu

If the card came with one of the girls I would buy it, but otherwise I wouldn’t touch something with the stupid Fatal1ty branding on it.

• flip-mode

I’m waiting for the passive 8800GTS…

Seriously though, passive FTW.

• Peffse

I think you will be waiting forever…

• Xenolith

The heat pipes sticking up like that means it won’t fit in my small case.

• Shinare

mmmmm…. booth girls. *drool*

• Lord.Blue

I’ll take the one with the girl to Fatal1ty’s left….the card does come with the girl right? No? Oh well, guess I’ll get the Gigabyte card then.

• JoshMST

Hmm, for the same price why not just get the Gigabyte 8600 GTS with Silent Pipe 3 for $196? Clocked higher, silent cooling, and a copy of Supreme Commander.

And 100% less Fatl1ty (and lightning bolts).

• spuppy

OMG FATAL1TY IT HAS 36% MORE LEET

• sigher

He’s wearing a jacket now, what next? a tie? I wonder if he has plans for the future, can’t imagine he can keep doing this forever.

• echo_seven

Maybe he’s looking into coaching…

• pedro

Hahaha… this has been a very funny morning. Well done to everyone involved.

• JJCDAD

I’ll take 2 please. :-p

Seriously, it’s good to see manufacturers that realize the days of case windows, neon, and blinky lights are over. Real enthusiasts want powerful, cool, and quiet products.

• Stranger

you sure that’s what they’re saying?

• JJCDAD

Somehow I managed to completely block out teh Fatal1ty part. I read the specs, read that it was quiet, and was hooked.

Or maybe it was just the mini-skirts overwhelming my common sense. I am a marketing whore!

/shame

• stdPikachu

Also managed to ignore the fatality blurb; I have a mental block against that sort of bollocks. I was tempted before, but I can’t fucking stand this ubiquitous “fatality” shit. If this is meant to be his own personal seal of approval, he must game on about 90 different PC’s what with all the varied and mutually exclusive hardware with his handle on it. XFX, I’ll pay extra for the same card without the pointless branding on it.

As an aside, there’s nothing wrong with quiet components *and* a case window; I happen to find heatsinks very pretty even when they’re not illuminated 🙂

• alex666

Those days (windows, neon, et al) are over? I don’t recall when that became a fact. I also don’t know that neon/windows/et al and cool, quiet machines are mutually exclusive.

And what is the definition of a “real enthusiast”?

I think I know what you’re implying (I take issue with making this all sound like well-established fact), that with today’s high powered machines, and HTPCs, cool and quiet become more pressing concerns. But a machine can “look” very cool with a side windows and still “be” very cool temperature wise with the right case, e.g., the Antec 900, and some thoughtful cooling design within the case.