New cases, PSUs abound at Antec

COMPUTEX — Antec had a plethora of new and not-so-new enclosures and other products on display today, but a few caught our eye in particular. The first is the New Overture home theater PC case, pictured here:

This is a home theater PC case with “flipped” layout similar to that of Antec’s P180 and its brethren. The New Overture is capable of accommodating a full ATX motherboard, and it comes with two 120mm TriCool fans, the speeds of which can be adjusted from the back of the case. Despite the picture, though, the New Overture won’t come bundled with a power supply.

Also on display was the upcoming Antec Twelve Hundred. This case will come out in two models: one with support for water cooling, and one without. Both will come equipped with 12 5.25″ bays capable of accommodating hard drives, a 200mm top fan (and an optional 200mm fan port on the side of the case), and an interchangeable rubber mat at the top—a finishing touch for users who like to leave gadgets or loose change on top of their PC.

One particularly interesting specimen was the Mini P180. This model is a shrunk version of Antec’s P182. It only takes Micro-ATX motherboards, and it has fewer 5.25″ drive bays than the P182. Nonetheless, the Mini sports a 200mm top-mounted fan—bigger than the 120mm model on the P182. The Mini P180 and Twelve Hundred are both due in time for the back-to-school season.

On the power supply front, Antec showed a pair of models in its upcoming TruePower Quatro line with power ratings of 850W and 1000W. The 850W model is coming out in June, while the kilowatt will follow in July.

• evermore

I think I’d like the Twelve Hundred. If that weren’t also likely to be close to the actual retail price (without going over) in USD.

Cases are way overblown. It’s hard to find a simple case that also has functional features, rather than bling. It’s like buying a Toyota, you can’t get the basic options without a bunch of add-ons you don’t want, and no matter what, you’re going to be paying out the ass.

I’ve stuck with my SX830 for several years now. Before that it was a gigantic 12 pound steel tower for a few years, and before that it was yet another gigantic tower (AT style!) for about 6 years. All of them were beige. For secondary machines I just buy cheap crap cases, and am always impressed by how crap they can be while still costing enough to make me think twice. I keep finding cases that have some features or looks that I want, but none that have a combination of them all.

I also hate doors on the front of cases. I don’t really know why I feel so strongly about that.

• deinabog

I’ve already purchased Antec’s Performance TX1050B case and TruePower Trio 650 power supply. The new products look good but I’m not impressed enough to consider them at this point.

• ssway

Meh, the best Antec cases out there are the NSK3300 (microATX) and NSK4400 (ATX):

§[<http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=94000<]§

• Severus

Was the first pic taken in your hotel bedroom? =D

• UberGerbil

PSUs with racing stripes. So they’ll, uh, go faster. Or something.

• Captain Ned

Hey Cyril:

Did Antec say anything about installing intake fans in the Twelve Hundred’s HD bays with HDs installed?

• Cyril

Not that I recall, no.

• PenGun

I’m keeping my ancient 24″ beige tower that I painted red when I stuffed in a dual Opteron setup. It is one of the first ATX cases and it’s open, cools well, and hauls a lot of drives.

What else could a guy need?

• Kent_dieGo

There is a good reason to have PS at top, cooling. The hot air at top gets exhausted out. Cool air enters from front at bottom (blowing past hard drives). Cooler Master cases have figured this out. That thing looks a little huge for a home theater PC.

• UberGerbil

…Which is why they have those big fans at the top of the case. The PSU gets its own airpath at the bottom. Cool air still initially passes over the HDs, but can go straight back to the PSU or up to the CPU/GPU and out.

In a case with a lot of hot components, the PSU at the top is getting nothing but hot air going over it, which means it has to run its fan harder.

In cases without a lot of hot components, it probably doesn’t make much difference.

For the HT case (which I agree is pretty huge, but obviously that’s not intended for a basic HTPC) you’ve still got a separate airpath to the PSU but it’s off to the side.

• Peffse

Ok, let me get this straight…
    the case is designed for water cooling… yet sticks the power supply on the bottom of the case? Am I the only one thinking “ZAPPO!!!”?

…and maybe it’s just my taste, but are cases getting uglier by the minute?

• JJCDAD

That Mini P180 looks like its been sitting in my garage for a couple years.

• Debacle

Is it just more, or do almost all PC cases suck? I can never seem to find “The One Case To Rule Them All”. The Dell cases have some nice features that I don’t understand why others don’t implement. But even the Dell cases aren’t perfect either.

• Thebolt

My lian-li pc-6070 is the best case you can buy in my opinion. Weighing in at a hefty $200 or so it isn’t for everybody but it’s got all of the features, sleek design, noise considerations in mind, and good cooling. And it’s aluminum so it’s lightweight not that that’s too important. Removable mobo tray/fan filter as well. Love that thing.

• gbcrush

Woah. Very interested in the new Overture. Any chance you guys could go back for a longer second peek and get a few more details and pictures? 😀

• Rainwater

I’d like a desktop case, too. since I’ve gone to a LCD monitor, the only thing that has stopped me from going back is the lack of product choices.

• Spotpuff

Why don’t more companies make modular PSUs? 🙁

• yfital

modular PSUs arent as good as none-module…
      there are still a lot of module PSUs, including the new ones ( OCZ just released a new line of modules if i aint mistaken), but in any case, it is better to use a none-module… if you want the electronic explenation for this, google 🙂 or head to dfi-street, there is enough info on this stuff

• Nullvoid

The assertion that non-modular is better than modular is FUD as far as I’m aware. The only respectable guy who holds strongly to that viewpoint is the owner of pc power & cooling, and he doesn’t have many who agree with him. Well produced modular supplies such as corsair’s seasonic-built hx520/620 are ample illustration of why it isn’t true. And further to them, the cwt-built 1200w thermaltake supplies:

Modular review – §[<http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=107http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=107<]§ Non-modular review - §[<http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=111<]§

• UberGerbil

I can’t see any reason why that necessarily would be true. You’ve already got a connector on one end of the cable; adding another shouldn’t have any additional significant effect assuming you’re using quality components.