OCZ pimps its Neural Impulse actuator

COMPUTEX — One of OCZ’s major attractions at the show is its Neural Impulse Actuator—the “mind control” gaming input device it announced back at CeBit. The folks at OCZ invited me up to their suite at the Grand Hyatt hotel in Taipei to try it out, and I had time to give it a shot and also get the most unflattering picture of myself ever taken.

That’s what five hours of sleep does to you, folks. Anyway, this control system is basically a headband with three electrodes underneath that sense facial muscle movements. After some quick calibration, we fired up a game of Unreal Tournament 2004, and I was able to move forward in the game by lightly clenching my jaw muscles and to fire by clenching them just a bit harder. I could also look side-to-side to strafe, but actually looking around in the game was handled by the mouse.

Overall, the control system felt like it had potential, and I did get a few kills. Still, it wasn’t without snags: my in-game character kept jumping inexpectedly, and I had to stay conscious of all my facial movements—something easier said than done while playing an action game. OCZ says it expects to introduce the Neural Impulse Actuator by the end of the year. The final product will be wireless, smaller, and more “user-friendly” than the prototype.

Of course, the NIA wasn’t OCZ’s only product on display. OCZ also showed us its FireWire thumb drive, which it expects to introduce in 8-10 weeks. The drive will come with capacities of 2GB to 16GB, and it will have respective read and write speeds of 45-50MB/s and 40-45MB/s.

In a demo machine, OCZ also had a pair of its upcoming Platinum series DDR3 modules. Those will be rated for DDR3-1333 spec with 5-5-5 timings and a voltage setting of 1.7V. OCZ tells us they can overclock to 1500-1600MHz.

OCZ showed us its upcoming HydroJet cooler, as well. This heatsink is actually an all-in-one liquid cooling system, and OCZ tells us it has a base made not of copper or aluminum, but carbon nanotubes. (Excuse the blurry picture, I was running late for another appointment.)

Last, but not least, OCZ had a PC Power & Cooling TurboCool power supply with a 1200W power rating on display. OCZ recently acquired PCP&C, and it looks like it intends to keep the lineup alive—at least in the short term.

• OCZJess

What’s up TechReportians! Cyril was a great sport! I am the biggest nerd of all!

• evermore

An all-in-one water cooler can’t possibly cool any better than a plain old heatsink with the same surface area (assuming the same material). The only reason to use water cooling is that you can move it away from the cramped CPU area in order to provide more surface area in fins and allow larger fans. Just moving it an inch away from the CPU and running the water through a heatsink doesn’t do any better than just a heatsink. A heatsink such as the Ninja would perform just as well, though it might need finer fins. Given issues of airflow and pressure with such finely spaced fins, it might do better.

Plus, looking at pictures on other sites, all the exhaust airflow is apparently getting channeled up into rather small openings around the edge. And while those openings angle away from the center, the central intake seems like it would end up just sucking the warm air back in, even more than a standard basic heatsink.

• Trident Troll

Every girl’s worst nightmare.
    A geek sitting next to her wearing a ‘mind control device’.
    ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Forge

I would look so much gnarlier, what with my beard to go with the pastiness.

At least no one makes jokes that I look 14. ๐Ÿ™‚

• gratuitous
    • spuppy

THAT’S A FANCY SHIRT

• Spotpuff

That woman works for OCZ? ๐Ÿ˜€

No ring; Cyril make your move with that awesome new headband! Ask her if you can show her how good you are at brainfingering!

• Flying Fox

Women staff may be told to take off their rings to get geeks excited? ๐Ÿ˜€

• Sargent Duck

So what’s her name? did you at least get her phone number?

That being said, OCZ has a number of pretty interesting products coming down the line. Lot latency DDR3, cool looking heatsinks, a wireless head band type thingy. Exciting.

• Shinare

HOLY GOOD GRACIOUS that HSF is huge. How the heck you supposed to put that in your system? Also, does the mobo have to be horizontal? Is the thing in the plexi case the same thing as the carbon nano-tube hsf? Looks to me that in an already large plexi case it sticks out the top. Although it also looks like it could be a modder’s dream to have the top of the thing sticking outside a hole in the case.

Edit: PS> Cyril, that big yellow ball in the sky outside is called the sun. (just kidding) ๐Ÿ™‚

• Kaleid

Check out what Scythe showed:

ยง[<http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=5028&s=2<]ยง

• Flying Fox

q[

• Shinare

I was referring to his pasty whiteness. ๐Ÿ™‚

• lyc

i think he was making a joke

• d2brothe

Sorry to not comment on the cute girl…but Carbon Nano-tubes?? I thought those were like…very very experimental right now, as in, can create small micron lengths at extremely high cost??? I wasn’t aware they had exceptional heat transfer properties, infact I expected they would have rather weak conductive properties…

• MadManOriginal

Wow DDR3 is hitting low latencies really quickly.

• eitje

nah, it’s not unflattering. However, I probably would’ve taken the picture w/o the dorky looking guy sitting next to you.

…..oh. oh. that’s…. ummm…. so sorry. ๐Ÿ˜‰