Asus displays tiny laptop, RD790 mobo

COMPUTEX — Asus’ booth is one of the biggest at Computex, and the company has a fair amount of new stuff on display. Most noticeable (and noticed) was the new Eee PC laptop, which launched yesterday. The Eee PC looks rather sleek and compact on its own…

… but one really has to look at it in context (as in here with USB and Ethernet cables) to appreciate just how small it is. Seriously, this thing is just under nine inches across and weighs only 1.96lbs (0.89kg).

Another interesting showpiece is in Asus’ motherboard section, where the firm is featuring a mobo based on AMD’s upcoming RD790 chipset. Asus is one of the only motherboard makers to showcase its own board—others displayed AMD’s reference design per the chipmaker’s request.

Dubbed the M3A32-MVP Deluxe, this board is designed with AMD’s quad-core Phenom chips in mind. It supports DDR2-1066 memory, HyperTransport 3.0, PCI Express 2.0, and CrossFire.

The M3A32-MVP Deluxe also sports a novel memory cooling system, which is tied to the network of copper heat pipe and heatsinks that also cools the chipset and processor power regulation circuitry.

On the GPU side, Asus is showing off unreleased AMD Radeon HD 2600 XT and Radeon HD 2400 Pro graphics cards. The 2600 XT will have an 800MHz core clock speed and 256MB of GDDR4 memory clocked at 1.1GHz, and the HD 2400 Pro will have a 525MHz core speed and 256MB of 800MHz GDDR2 memory. Both should be available in July.

Not quite as exciting but still quite interesting are Asus’ Xonar D2 and Xonar D2K sound cards. This isn’t the first time Asus has had them on display, but they were the subject of an official announcement yesterday.

• sigher

I’m a bit like those asians, I know when something looks nice but also have a tough time designing things that achieve a cool look 😉

• d0g_p00p

I was going to complain about that tiny display and huge bezel on the Asus laptop till I read the price. I’ll be picking one up.

• albundy

Is that a PCI-e sound card I see? Creative said it was impossible!…I guess milking PCI to the last teet is possible.

• sigher

Creative announced pcie cards themselves, even showed samples once, then it went quiet again..

• JJCDAD

Did TR see the $189 Asus “Laptop” at Computex? Any details?

• Cyril

That’s the Eee PC pictured here.

• Spotpuff

Is that a fan on that soundcard? More noise is bad, and soundcards shouldn’t needs fans!

• pedro

Seems strange doesn’t it. I have a big beefy metal box M-Audio Firewire soundcard sitting in front of me. Not only does it do a better job at soundcarding than these Asus ones will ever dream of, it doesn’t need a fan to do so.

• Anomymous Gerbil

But the M-Audio doesn’t do the gaming-related accelerations, does it?

• Forge

Pretty much nobody does anymore. I think CL is the last holdout on that count. C-Media, Realtek, ICEnsemble/VIA, all the major players are doing fully software EAX/A3D/generic D3D accel these days, only CL is still doing the old way. I’ve heard muttered rumors that the X-Fi cards do all their EAX 1/2/3 mojo in software now, too. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if it’s true.

• Anomymous Gerbil

OK. I don’t game much, but presumably the acceleration on the CL cards is somewhat useful for EAX 4 (or is it 5 now?), at least until games take advatnage of dual or quad cores?

• moose17145

Yes… it is useful for EAX 4.0 and 5.0 (Audigy 2 could “only” handle EAX4, but the X-Fi also brought the introduction of EAX 5.0 hardware acceleration IIRC). For those tasks it is very useful… pushing 128 voices with EAX 5.0 precision and effects is still a very strenuous task for a CPU… even a dual core. Quads it wouldn’t matter as much… but as soon as a game comes out that is fully multi-threaded to use a quad core BEFORE sound is processed… then you could still a see a performance gain from using a Sound card that can handle hardware acceleration… but only time will tell. Personally i would like to see hardware acceleration of sound live on… but it just seems like everyone is taking this “good enough” approach with sound anymore while they focus on video and fast CPUs. Too bad for me i see the sound component to be just as important as the video element… which is why i was comfortable spending the money for a X-Fi.

Edit: Did anyone else notice the DX2 uses PCI-E 1x ? I just saw that. Hopefully more will follow and those useless 1x slots won’t be quite as useless.

• evermore

Sound Blaster®Audigy™ HD Software Edition

That’s real. So CL using all-software or more heavily software is at least plausible. Easier and cheaper than designing a new chipset that can handle more processing itself.

Maybe that’s their solution to the supposed issues with using PCIe for audio – just don’t have the soundcard do anything except the physical output. No latency at all if the CPU is the one handling the audio.

• pedro

You have a good point. Does everything I want very nicely however.

• Corrado

It was asked the last time they showed those cards. Its NOT a fan.

• sigher

Indeed, perhaps they made a design mistake when they made it look like it has a fan, that’s going to cost them business I fear from people mistakingly thinking it has a fan.

• Hattig

Ooh, an x1 PCIe card, a sound card no less.

And if that laptop is $200 then I’m buying one. Somehow I suspect it is more than that however, #3.

• Hattig

Oh, it really is $199, as it’s a spinoff of Intel’s classmate program. Sure, it’ll be running Mandriva Linux and only have 2GB flash at that price, but that’s still pretty good. There’s a 10″ display $299 variant as well, and I expect that the 10″ 8GB variant will be $399, and the 16GB variant $499.

7″/2GB : $199
      10″/4GB : $299

At these prices who cares about the Foleo (apart from far longer battery life) unless it’s a 16GB machine by default? Every geek in the world will pick one of these up, and Linux isn’t exactly lacking applications…

• sigher

Nice and well to name size (in the officially retired inch unit, but still) but what’s the pixel resolution? you can make a 300 meter (or yard) display with 2 pixels and it won’t be very usable after all.
        I don’t quite get that present day convention to often just name the size and not the pixelcount, you should name both to be informative.
        Sometimes you have to search for a long time in google across several sites to find the actual pixelcount of a new device, it’s a bit sad really how little effort many reviewers do and how PR statements avoid mentioning it often. (that was not a hidden slur on techreport incidentally but more a general statement)

• A_Pickle

ASUS, to break the Creative stranglehold on the sound card industry? I’m all for it. Go ASUS. 😀

• blase

Heck, just get one to pull the Creative hardware out of your box!

• Spotpuff

Where’s the XG station?!

• jbraslins

Their Sound Card press release has an interesting feature:

/[

• deruberhanyok

It’s supposed to be a feature of the more expensive version. The idea is that instead of having to run a cable from say, the line out to the line in, you can make recordings because of an extra processor on the card, thus not having to deal with the DAC / ADC.

I remember reading something about this when they made an announcement a few months ago but I can’t find the link anywhere. I lost interest when I saw that the cards were going to be using the same C-Media HD Audio chip as others that are already available.

Making their little “EMI shield” look vaguely like a speaker was a nice touch, but they don’t seem to be doing anything that Auzen hasn’t already done. Well, except for releasing a card in PCI Express flavor, but that seems to have been done mostly to add another bullet point to marketing.

• 20dB@10Hz

Asus seems desperate if they advertise… erm… piracy?
      To me this ALT means that you can record copy-protected contents via analog outputs of the card such as DVD Audio sountracks and DRM-protected aac files purchased from itunes.
      In fact fact this option has always been there with any dedicated sound card.

• Justice

I don’t know if I like that or not. (On the Asus AM2 board). Heatpipes for the ram permanently connected to the chipset cooler. I’m mixed on that, it seems like a great idea, but what if you buy ram modules that are thicker or thinner than what Asus designed the heatpipes for? I know there is still an acceptable tolerance for variations to a degree, but what kind of stress can an out of tolerance module put on the memory slot?

[edit] Nevermind.. I see the set screws in the chipset cooler, the pipes can be adjusted… Pretty cool![/edit]

• Flying Fox

The RD790 seems to be bringing heat generation capability back on par with Nvidia’s. WTF is all that heat pipe!?!?! 😮

• UberGerbil

Also: what if you want more than two sticks of RAM?

• Anomymous Gerbil

Isn;t the issue that a hot bridge chip is more likely to b[

• UberGerbil

Is the display on that laptop as small as it seems? Is there an enormous bezel or is it just showing a non-native resolution? And what is the resolution of the display? I don’t suppose it is LED backlit?

• Cyril

The display is 7″. Asus didn’t tell me anything else about it.