Cooler Master preps new quiet case, PSUs

COMPUTEX — We dropped by Cooler Master’s suite at the Grand Hyatt hotel in Taipei today and had a look at the firm’s new enclosures, cooling products, and power supplies. The most striking product is perhaps Cooler Master’s new Cosmos quiet case, which sports a design reminiscent of Antec’s P180.

The Cosmos positions the power supply at the bottom, albeit not in a separate compartment (there’s just a duct sitting next to the graphics card area). Cooler Master is being a little creative with airflow, though: the case will have negative pressure by default, with the only intake fan (a 120mm model) positioned at the bottom. One 120mm exhaust fan is located at the rear, and a couple of 120mm exhaust fans sit at the top of the case. The Cosmos also has holes at the back to accommodate a liquid cooling system, and the case’s side panels are padded with sound-insulating foam. But even with Cooler Master’s emphasis on low noise levels, the case is sufficiently ventilated to handle a pair of GeForce 8800 graphics cards.

In fact, Nvidia had a version of the the case on display running a pair of GeForce 8800 Ultra graphics cards—a testament to the case’s cooling abilities. The Cooler Master Cosmos is scheduled to hit stores in August with a price tag in the $200-220 range.

Also in August, Cooler Master plans to introduce a new line of Real Power Pro power supplies. These PSUs will be available with power ratings of 520W, 620W, and 700W. The former and latter will have modular cabling, while the 620W model will have a more conventional design. There will also be a top-of-the-line 1250W model that will have no fewer than six +12V rails—three rated for 28A of power output, and another three rated for 20W—for a total 1.125kW of +12V power.

Finally, keeping with the theme of unusual airflow paths, Cooler Master is readying a pair of CM Sphere coolers. These have a peculiar vertical fan, which CoolerMaster tells us draws air from the top of the cooler and exhausts it on the sides. In addition, Cooler Master is readying a smaller version of its dual-fan Geminii processor cooler, the Geminii S, which will support 92mm fans.

• Welch

Is it just me or do those Cooler Master Spheres have anyone else craving a Outback Blooming Onion :D? Just me, awww, k.

Ya, Negative pressure sounds like a really bad idea for dust purposes…. The intake being on the bottom is also not a very wise decision as most people put their cases on the floor, where of course its going to suck in all dust, carpet, dog hair it can (Especially with negative pressure). Negative pressure is also going to mean less airflow, which means WTF ARE YOU THINKING COOLER MASTER /cry. The last people I thought to loose their minds was Cooler Master. Im sticking with NZXT for my future cases.

Just had to throw this in too…. WTF ARE YOU THINKING COOLER MASTER? Men in rubber suits and a cape flying around with ram… on your clear side window, get your heads out, embarrassing.

• shinta

“Cooler Master’s suite at the Grand Hyatt hotel in Taipei”

Are you sure you don’t mean the Taipei World Trade Center, which is attached to the Hyatt? I stay at the Hyatt in Taipei at least once a year, and I’m pretty sure I’ve never heard of or seen a “Cooler Master suite.” 🙂

• Mergatroid

The cases look interesting, but how on earth would you ever keep them clean?
    It looks fantastic in the nice clean display areas, but put it in a real use environment, get it dirty and then see how nice it looks.

• floodo1

Umm why would you do negative pressure? so that dust gets sucked into every opening in the case?
    positive pressure folks! but only slightly

• moose17145

no thanks… negative pressure is preferable in many ways because it is often easiest / best for setting up good case airflow. If you set it up correctly you can essentially actively cool your hard drives in the front of the case without the need for a single intake fan. Plus you can cut down fan noise by having fewer fans … depending on the system.

• albundy

All cases are fugly. Thats why I stripped a steel frame and put it inside my desk drawer.

• MixedPower

$200? For that case? They must be crazy. First off, the rubber lining on the side is coming off. And having a trade show case (which really only needs to look pretty) that’s falling apart doesn’t exactly speak loads for quality control. The handles don’t even make sense; they don’t look like anything I would like or trust to carry hundreds (or more likely for its target market, thousands) of dollars worth of hardware with, but they also don’t seem to add any aesthetic value, either. Not to mention they, along with the rest of the exterior, look like they’re made out of cheap plastic. If I wanted a quiet case with good cooling for ~$200, I would get a Lian Li, not this CM POS.

• Neomorph102

The handles are actually quite smart! The whole case with the handles is aluminum or steel, and the whole thing is very sturdy.
      The price is up there, but I see the quality behind it.
      I’d definitely give it a try.
      Not to mention the thing is whisper quiet.

• axeman

those are some weird looking HSFs

• Kent_dieGo

I like the handles on top of the case. I wish more cases had handles. I hope they are not just for looks and do not break off if used. I like Cooler Master cases but will stick to the $50 models.

• UberGerbil

Coolermaster has completely lost their minds.

• SuperSpy

Hopefully they haven’t lost their minds enough to cancel my beloved Centurion.

• blastdoor

I realize this isn’t a democracy, but if it were, I’d vote for not having pages and pages of photos on the front page. It seems to me that photos should be kept off the front page in order to make the news easier to navigate.

Just my $0.02.

• Nullvoid

Think of all the exercise your mousescroll finger is getting.

• blastdoor

Indeed — I’m growing one giant, freakishly muscled finger on my otherwise frail, geeky hand. I’m a monster… who could love me now??

• moose17145

idk what you guys are talkin about… I’m using the scroll wheel on my keyboard and the up/down scroll buttons on my MX510 mouse… no freakish scroll finger for me!

On that note though… i do think that i preferred it when they just put this all in one massive article. I am appreciative either way… don’t get me wrong… just saying if i had an option of this way or the other… i would choose the article over the front page method. I’m not sure how much more work that really is for them though… so this could be a work reduction tactic if they already have their hands full making other reviews / articles.

• Anomymous Gerbil

ahhh, the pathos…

• Shinare

I’ve been looking for a PSU in the 500-600W range for a while now and the user reviews I read on Newegg for Cooler Master PSUs are abysmal for the most part with a few satisfied customers thrown in the mix. Now they are going to try and hawk a $200+ case? I don’t think so.

• NeronetFi

Cool Master has had a $250 case for sometime now, the “Stacker 830”