Friday night topic: Web comics

I have long been a Penny Arcade reader, but I haven’t really read any other web comics with regularity, although I’ve occasionally followed a link to a Ctrl+Alt+Del or PvP strip. This experience has helped form the impression in my mind that web comics tend to be about video games.

Thus, when I came across Order of the Stick recently, I assumed it was about online RPGs. Turns out it’s about the old-fashioned kind of RPGs involving pen, paper, and dice. Who knew? I never played such games, but my time spent in Guild Wars helped me to relate. I got sucked into the story arcs and devoured the entire OOTS backlog over the course of a week. Some very funny moments in there.

Now that I’m done with that, I’ve segued into reading some other web comics. I’ve just finished the Dueling Analogs archive, and I’m part-way into Extra Life, as well. 2P Start! may be up next, if I can stand another video game-related comic. Still, my top two are definitely PA and OOTS. Some of the others are kind of uneven, but the good news is that so many of them are better than the junk you see in the newspaper. The web seems to be saving an art form—or allowing it to flourish.

What web comics do you read? Have links to your favorite strips? Any popular web comics you don’t find funny? Are the best ones all about games and technology? Discuss.

• Semper1775

Every now and then I check these guys out. Their jokes are funny every now and then and some really push it:

Cyanide and Happiness

§[< http://www.explosm.net/comics/924/<]§

• gratuitous
    • Jive

My personal favorite would be §[< http://www.achewood.com<]§

• Tarx

Scott, I’m curious how stumbled upon Oots…?
    Also in TechReport’s links, the link to Penny Arcade is incorrect.
    Quite a few “comic” strips are more into story rather than being funny. Some, like Oots (my top choice) does both (and in this case done very well).

And here are a few more of the better comics that I don’t think were mentioned yet:
    SomethingPositive: §[< http://www.somethingpositive.net/< ]§ Saturday Morning Breakfast cereal: §[<http://www.smbc-comics.com/< ]§ Goblins: §[<http://goblinscomic.com/<]§

• Saeghwin

Dinosaur Comics, XKCD, Questionable Content, Perry Bible Fellowship (awesome)

• eloj

DM of The Rings. Answers the question “What if the Lord of the Rings Movies were more like Advanced Dungeons & Dragons…?”

§[< http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?cat=14<]§

• herothezero

Who has time to visit all these sites?

• Afty

Stick ’em in your RSS reader, and you’ll never have to visit the sites.

• provoko

Web comics aren’t that funny. They almost always have weak punchlines and are extremely boring.. Especially when moving flash animations are a click away on sites like newgrounds.com or streaming video on youtube.com.

• sigher

Don’t like them as a rule, look at 5000 and see one good one, then another 5000 moments of pain until the next good one.. not sure it compensates, for me it doesn’t really.

• Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
    • diamond2a

OOTS is absolutely brilliant. I also read XKCD regularly

• MagerValp

Others have already mentions XKCD, and OOTS is wonderful. Deathpiglent is another favourite:

§[< http://chibi.nekrozin.com/<]§

• Mithent

There is, of course, also Dinosaur Comics, which shows how much you can do without actually changing the art almost ever: §[< http://www.qwantz.com/<]§

• quock

The gods of Arr-Kelaan:
    §[< http://www.rmcomics.com/<]§

• wilreichert
    • 5150

Garfield FTW

Maybe not a digital comic strip, but it shaped my pathetic humor during the early years of my life

PBF is the only comic strip I find funny, although I still have to pull up the M$ strip every once in a while.

• bthylafh

Good Ghu, someone who thinks Garfield is still funny.

• 5150

I haven’t read Garfield in twenty years, but I thought he was awesome when is was < 12.

• willyolio

yeah, seriously. garfield is in the running for one of the lamest comic strips that’s still manages to make it into the newspaper.

all artwork can be summarized as such:
        1. horizontal line representing a table.
        2. cut-and-paste jon
        3. cut-and-paste garfield.
        4. speech or thought bubble.

the contents of the speech or thought bubbles can be summarized as:
        “jon, you’re a loser.”
        or
        “garfield is fat and lazy.”

15 seconds of work, per day. how much does davis get paid again?

• indeego

He hasn’t drawn them all for yearsg{<.<}g It's the most popular comic (by syndication) everg{<.<}g

• zgirl

You’re kidding right? Seriously it might have gotten me reading comics in 4th grade but by 6th I was all about Bloom County. Even if I was a bit too young to understand all the jokes. Great character and Breathed pushed the envelope.

Then there was The Far Side and of course Calvin and Hobbes. (possibly the best artwork in modern years.)

The only thing resent in print comics was Liberty Meadows. Cho was super talented and had some of the best of color jokes I’ve ever read. To bad he stop cause of fighting with the syndicates over content.

• 5150

Is it lonely up there on your pedestal?

I enjoyed C&H as well as Far Side, I owned many books from both. 12 was a guess, maybe it was 19. All I know is that I like what I like, and I sure as hell don’t need you to tell me what is cool and what isn’t. I have Paris Hilton for that.

• Forge

So when is Damage the GW fiend going to do some adventuring or PvPing with CBE??

• PerfectCr

I read none. I only see them when someone links to it in a thread or something.

• metalhead

I always check the latest of PA, OOTS, The Noob, and Elf Only Inn.

• eh?

Penny Arcade, PVP and Sinfest

• Illissius

Cyanide and Happiness, which is so awful it’s awesome, occasionally Penny Arcade, and random things people link to.

This one is classic: §[< http://www.explosm.net/comics/892/<]§

• bthylafh

Userfriendly, Sluggy, Red Meat, 8-bit Theater, Penny Arcade, xkcd.

• My Johnson

Userfriendly

• dragmor
    • Buub

Wow, I can’t believe I’m the only Sluggy fan here…

• IntelMole

If only Marilith was actually released on a semi-regular schedule (the guy who writes it has had an absolute mare of a time with different artists), I might read it seriously, because the writing on it is excellent.

§[< http://www.marilith.com<]§

• Xenolith
    • zgirl

I grew up wanting to be a cartoonist.

I read pvp, LFGroup, Penny-arcade, CtrlaltDel-online

Sadly my favorite comic is not longer produced, Angst Technologies.

But I still highly recommend the archives. §[< http://www.inktank.com/at/<]§

• indeego
      • bthylafh

Awesome. I read all the way through a few years ago and forgot where it was.

Bump.
      PBF content release is too slow but it’s really well-thought out.

• eitje

by the way, i’ve recently organized my comics into folders by update day. sure, it means i have the same link 3-5 times, but now i don’t get disappointed by a comic which has not been updated when i think it should have been!

• bdwilcox
    • SNM

XKCD deserves its own top-level post. I give it one here.

• fyo

Userfriendly & PVP.

• lethal

heh I was going to post about PBF :).

• ludi

Greg Dean’s RealLife, since the early days. Usually keep tabs on what’s happening in PVP, Megatokyo, etc. And if you aren’t reading Alpha-Shade (http://www.alpha-shade.com/)…well, then you’re missing out on some of the best Flash-rendered art I’ve seen in a while. Story line is a little convoluted, but worth the time.

• DrDillyBar

OOTS is fantastic, I love that one!
    I used to check out penny arcade once and a while, but not so much anymore.

• Satyr

XKCD ftw. Though the guy is a bit pompus :). Hold on, I could say that about all web comics… 😀

• eitje

big XKCD fan. dude doesn’t do commission work, though.

• Swampangel

xkcd is currently my favourite webcomic.

I also read PA, OOTS, Questionable Content, the Perry Bible Fellowship, Able and Baker, White Ninja, Toothpaste For Dinner, PvP Online, Ctrl-Alt-Del and BOASAS. I enjoy them in roughly that order.

• Draith

I read Oots, CAD, PA, 8-bit theatre(does a sprite comic count as a web comic?) and a few others. My personal favourite is LeastICouldDo (which is a sexually oriented comic) and it’s cousin Looking for Group (a fantasy based comic.). I find that I actually burst out laughing regularly at LICD and Looking for group. I also read a comic called Bizarre Uprising which is more of a Manga based comic.

• Gungir

Applegeeks, In the Puddle, Three-Panel Soul, Sinfest, Errant Story, Swordwaltzer, Questionable Content, and Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire. I check 17 webcomics daily as part of a balanced infosnacking breakfast.

• [+Duracell-]

I read Megatokyo…nothing else really caught onto me, honestly.

• lordT

I read CAD, PA, QC and OotS. I really like QC for not being about gaming or technology. PA qualifies as the specialist gaming comic in that there are not story arcs of any sort. I read CAD since Ethan and Lucas remind me a lot of myself. OotS probably because I really like the story and the characters.

• nexxcat

You know, referring to your favourite webcomics by their acronyms probably won’t help anyone find them 🙂

I read: Bunny, Questionable Content, Ozy and Millie, and Punch an’ Pie.

• lordT

Heh.. After reading Scott’s post, people should be able to put it together. Only thing missing is QC which stands for Questionable Content.