First Vista Service Pack may face delays

Users waiting for Microsoft to release its first Service Pack for Windows Vista before adopting the new operating system may have to bide their time. According to Microsoft Watch, statements made by Microsoft in a court filing submitted by the U.S. Justice Department suggests Windows Vista Service Pack 1 may have been postponed until next year. The filing says SP1 will be available in beta form later this year, and Microsoft Watch claims early indications are that the final release won’t be out until “some time in 2008.” However, the recently announced search changes could postpone the release even further.

According to Endpoint Technologies Associates president Roger Kay, “Any delay in SP1 will delay commercial rollouts.” Indeed, Microsoft Watch points out that some “high-profile Microsoft customers”—including Intel—plan to wait until SP1 before rolling out Vista. Kay believes that if SP1 comes out in the first quarter of 2008, early Vista deployments by such customers may only take place in the third quarter of 2008. (Thanks to The Inquirer for the link.)

• Snake

#45 – “y[http://channel.tomshardware.com/2007/06/25/channel_skeptical_about_vista_claims/<]§ "y[

• a_non_moose

All the flap over Vista just reminds me of my 2k3 X64 migration after we got one server at work replaced (thx to *ell, gawd never thought I’d thank them, anywho).

All USB, no floppy, no ps2…not a usb kbd in sight…called, one on the way, but how to get the drivers on for the SATA Raid card (shades of XP’s lack of support coming on strong).

Tried every rev available for 2k3, and nothing worked…no drives detected.

Dug up some info on MSFN and the solution? Use the XP64 drivers, the only ones that work with 2k3 Server. Oooookay…sure enuf, worked.

IIRC, Vista breaks that driver model and no “compatability mode” of any stripe is available. (unsigned seems hit or miss)

Supposed to be “better”, but I don’t define better as chucking working hardware in favor of newer stuff all the time (printers, scanners etc).

The hours I’ve played with Vista just gave me a “meh” over all feeling.
    Pretty, yes. Everything is buried 2 layers deeper than needed. Search feature is nice, but I’ve got Locate32 under XP and it works for me.
    Hate the Xp default start menu, tried using it and go classic menu after the 2nd or 3rd explicative escapes my lips. Vista’s Finder, sorry, Explorer tries to be the OSX Finder (at least it is a native app, heh) and gets it half way decent, but the constant moving targets (a la the dock) just annoy.

Averse to change? Not really. If Vista had been XP SP2 SE, with 32/64 bit support only, or massive speed improvements and/or threading, I’d have gone for it. Change for the sake of change? Nah.

And I only really go for awesome graphics in games, not my OS because I want it out of my way, not in my face being annoying (Dock’s bouncing icons, I’m looking at you, too).

• Deli

I have been using Vista for about a month now (Ultimate). It has been a good OS thus far. I was ‘forced’ to install it cuz I work in techsup and ppl are calling in at time with Vista problems, so I thought I could better help out ppl if I used the OS more. I had troubles with RAID drivers with nvidia at first but i stopped installing the chipset drivers (except for LAN)in Vista and everything is great! speed is good. I have it dualbooted with XP right now, cuz i still have games on XP. Vista is my everyday OS right now.

But what I like best is Dreamscene. call me ghey, whatever, but it’s nice to have a relaxing ocean wave mpg running over and over again. lol

With my experience I definitely place most of the driver issues not on MS but on the hardware companies.

• indeego

Of course place it on the manufacturer’s. MS doesn’t write device drivers for other people’s hardware. The drivers labeled “Microsoft” actually are written by the Manufacturer and given to MS to be provided with the OSg{<.<}g

• BKA

Dreamscene has me hooked also. Especially if you have home videos formated to play in the background. I love it also.

• PetMiceRnice

No SP1, no ME (intended as a pun on Windows ME).

• Prospero424

Meh, I really wasn’t expecting it until next year, anyway.

And I started liking Vista Ultimate just fine after I got another gig of RAM (grumble grumble).

• Severus

I can’t really understand what you typed, but I think I got the gist of it. I’m not talking about consumer adoption, I’m talking about within the enthusiast market, the guys who sit on the bleeding edge of technology, the early adoptors, the guys who run beta software. There’s a subset of this crowd who resist change in their operating systems, but don’t seem to apply the same ethos to changes in hardware or application-level software. This is the behaviour I find odd.

*meant to reply to #32

• Resomegnis

XP hit its stride when SP2 rolled out. That was the mark that XP was stable and a high quality OS. From then on there was nothing that XP couldn’t handle. It drastically improved the Wireless system which was a huge win, the Firewall etc.

I imagined upgrading to Vista SP1 but I might wait for an SP2, specially with XP SP3 around the horn.

• indeego

I agree. I was so confident in SP2 I rolled it out across our domain the day of release… nobody had any idea, it went out that smoothlyg{<.<}g

• blitzy

If you could have one thing updated/fixed in Vista what would it be?

Personally the biggest peeve that comes to mind for me is the inconsistency between some of the control panel windows, some aren’t very well thought out. If that is my main niggle then I don’t think it’s too urgent for Vista to be updated.

• alex666

One obvious fix: give the administrator a way to better manage UAC. There’s got to be a way to “approve” specific programs so they don’t prompt you for approval every time you use them. That would include certain startup programs that generate the “Some startup programs not started” message. That is my biggest beef with Vista, which I really like otherwise. I like the fact that you get the prompt to run programs, as it does offer some protection. But I’d like to turn it off for certain programs as well.

• indeego

The first UAC prompt on a system should have the option to turn it off right there in the dialog boxg{<.<}g

• alex666

But I want to turn it off selectively.

• YeahRight

Well, I for one do not *[

• herothezero

q[

• Forge

Ah yes, because MS had nothing to do with promoting those same broken security policies in the first place, right?

Linux, BSD, and even OSX have had reasonable security policies for quite some time. They took all the lumps along the way, and have resulted in good and balanced security models.

MS promoted Admin-as-default for so long that it became a law among developers, and now they reap what they’ve sown, as they try to overcome years of laziness with rapid and sweeping changes, which will likely need even more work before being usable and balanced.

Yes, poor little MS.

• clone

r[

• Dizik

Microsoft delaying something? And people are surprised why?

• quarantined

For a multi-billion dollar software outfit, those guys sure do drag a lot of ass.

Oh well, their loss, not mine.

• herothezero

SP1 is a convenient excuse for people that don’t like Vista anyway. It’s pretty damn robust for a new release.

• Buub

As long as it works with your hardware and you have stable drivers.

My gf works in tech support at a major Cellular company, and Vista is so much of a nightmare for them (she supports wireless cards for laptops), that she’s thinking her next computer is going to be a Mac. Vista and its problems was the biggest factor driving her to this conclusion.

• blastdoor

I can sympathise. I had no intention of getting a Mac until I had non-trivial driver problems with Vista. That caused me to look at a Mac, and I liked what I saw.

I’m sure that people who don’t have problems with Vista are happy with it, and that’s great for them. But not everyone is so lucky.

• BKA

I don’t think anybody is 100% problem free with Vista or any OS. But the majority of complaints I see for Vista has to do with hardware/driver support. Which isn’t really Microsoft’s issue. Companies should get off their butt and release some decent Vista compatible drivers.

I work tech support and I went over to one of our sites because they couldn’t get a HP printer installed in Vista. So when I get there I find out HP does not NOR are they going to release Vista drivers for this particular model of printer. I was able to connect to an older HP LJ they had in the office and also a new HP LJ printer, but not this particular model.

After getting back to the office I thought I would give HP a call just to see what they would say. Pretty much the same thing on the web site is what their tech support told me. This model will not be supported in Vista now or the future. She couldn’t give me any specific reason just they wouldn’t. However she was nice enough to recommend a trade in program they have for printers that they won’t be releasing vista drivers for. Umm, no thanks.

So should I blame Microsoft for supposedly making the it hard for companies to develop drivers for Vista or HP for releasing Vista drivers for certain products and trying to get more money for a “trade-up” program for products they won’t support in Vista?

I can’t really be mad at either. Because when the product was purchased no where did it say it was Vista compatible.

• blastdoor

In my case, the problem was that a simple USB flash drive caused my computer to crash every time I plugged it in. I guess that might be an issue with a motherboard driver or something, but I frankly do not care.

My reason for getting a Mac wasn’t so much that I blamed MS per se… it’s more that I blamed the entire PC business model. With PCs, you have more freedom but you pay for it with less security (I mean security in a braoder sense than viruses and what not — I mean the security of being able to know that your computer will work). With Macs, you give up freedom, but you get a more stable, secure computing experience.

I’ve reached a point in my life where I don’t want to deal with these types of problems anymore, and the Mac has reached a point where, despite its restrictions, it’s basically able to do everything I need a computer to do, except for games.

So, for me, using my old desktop PC just for games and a Mac laptop for everything else is a nice solution. When my PC gets too old, I’ll probably get a desktop Mac that dual boots into Vista for gaming (if that’s even still necessary by then).

• Vrock

How about Service Pack 3 for XP first, Microsoft?

• bdwilcox

Hear! Hear!

I’m so tired of downloading over an hour’s worth of patches for each XP install. (Even an XP Post SP2 Rollup would suffice.) Unfortunately, Microsoft’s idea of XP SP3 is selling you Vista.

• Forge

q[

• indeego

works for me too. What exactly is your point? That one enters a script and things work? read it againg{<.<}g

• Forge

I was attempting to make a snide remark about pirates not being bothered by activation, only legit users, but apparently I should have been a little more overt.

OEM_SLP channel is the ‘don’t bother us with activation’ special flavor that Dell/HP/Asus/et al get to use, since activation is way too invasive and problematic for MS’s main revenue sources to bother with. It’s a shame that the individual users can’t get the same special treatment without being pirates.

• BKA

Umm, PEBKAC!

• TO11MTM

Ummm. No. Indeego is a skilled fellow… I mean… Just… no.

• BKA

I’m sure they want to release it around the same time as Windows Server 2008 so there won’t be many problems with people deploying Server 2008 and Vista at the same time. (Which is the plan for the college I work at, however Vista will be installed in some classrooms that will be teaching CIS related courses in the fall.)

Service Pack 1 for XP was released (Sept 2002) just about a year after XP was released. So first quarter of 2008 should be about right.

No need to rush just for people who want to wait for Service Pack 1 to be released before they use Vista. It’s not likely to change the minds of people who already don’t care for it. They’ll just find reasons why SP1 for Vista doesn’t fix anything and only makes it worse. Can’t please everyone.

I for one, like when release dates are pushed back as long as the end result is a better product. It just shows that companies aren’t in a rush to get more money by releasing it earlier.

• sigher

So basically it already starting to become clear the SP1 will bring so many new kludges that you’ll have to wait for SP2 to see things become stable and issues from SP1 being fixed.

Amusing.