AMD price cuts coming today?

Ronald already caught this in the ‘bread, but this seems like pretty big news. According to the guys over at DailyTech, AMD plans to cut prices across its Athlon 64 X2 processor line later today. The cuts are presumably a pre-emptive move against Intel’s rumored July 22 price drops, which are expected to bring the Core 2 Quad Q6600 down below the $300 mark and the Core 2 Duo E6750 under $200.

DailyTech says AMD’s upcoming cuts will cause the Athlon 64 X2 6000+ to slip from $229 to $169 and the rest of the X2 line to don price tags from $149 down. The 4000+ will become the cheapest X2 by tumbling down to just $69, while the 3800+ and 3600+ will both be discontinued. Good news for shoppers, but slightly less good news for AMD, whose only remaining desktop processors costing more than $200 should be the Athlon 64 FX-72 and FX-74. If the Core 2 Quad Q6600 drops to $266 as predicted, though, Quad FX hardware may have to undergo aggressive cuts or disappear altogether.

• lex-ington

I think the price cuts are in effect already since PCVillage just dropped all the prices on the X2 line. I’ll placing my order for my Antec NSK 1300 later on today, and pick up my X2-4000 tomorrow.

• Sargent Duck

Mmmmmmm, quad-cores under $300. That’s tempting. Not that I need a quad-core, but that’s some pretty cheap bragging rights.

• Dposcorp

Yeah, quad cores at $300 are nice, but $300 could get you a nice 4000+ X2, 2GB of DDR2, and this sweet Biostar board that has onboard video including HDMI with HDCP, and overclocks like mad.

§[<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138061<]§ I just got one and love it. By changing one setting in the BIOS and turning on the auto overclock, I took my 2.0Ghz 3600+ Windsor to 2.5Ghz. This board still has a ton more room to overclock. §[<http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t257764.html<]§ The Matx scene for Intel just seems to suck compared to the AM2 scene. However, if I had a quad core ready Intel system and ram already, I might get one of the Quad cores. Starting from scratch though I would go AM2 all the way at this time.

• Corrado

Awesome, I’m gonna pick up a 4000+ then and OC it with a $65 motherboard. Yays!

• PrincipalSkinner

Last time i remember CPU-s were this cheap is when i was buying my Duron on 700Mhz.

• Illissius

it’s odd how we’re getting massive price wars not when AMD has the performance advantage, but when Intel does…

• Prospero424

Even though AMD is down right now (though not nearly as far behind as they have been in the past), they’re still at each others’ throats.

• Delphis

Intel are turning the thumbscrews. They will make Core2 chips ever cheaper so as to squeeze off AMD’s demand.

• Stefan

While I appreciated the chance to buy into some serious processing power for cheap, I would much rather have AMD having higher margins and staying in the business!

• danny e.

nice to see the prices keep dropping. funny how intel is causing the price drops now rather than the other way around.

at any rate.. should be some good deals to choose from for my next system build early next year.

• flip-mode

Wow. It’s hard to even comment. Price wars are a slippery slope. If this keeps up AMD’s gonna have one product – an Athlon X2 6000 at $69.

P.S.
    If anyone plans to take advantage of these price cuts, Nvidia’s Nforce 590 reference boards from EVGA and Foxconn can be had for under $100 after rebate from Newegg…. That’d result in a pretty solid system on the cheap.