60GB PS3 to meet an untimely demise, too

Sony dropped the price of its 60GB PlayStation 3 console from $599 to $499 last week, but according to the Sony Computer Entertainment Europe president David Reeves, that cut will be short-lived. Reeves told GamesIndustry in an interview that the 60GB PS3 will disappear from the North American market as the new $599, 80GB model rolls out.

The new $599 PS3 is scheduled to hit stores in August, and Reeves says 60GB consoles “will all be gone by the end of July.” When asked by GamesIndustry if that meant the end of the 60GB unit, Reeves replied simply, “In America, yes.” In other words, the 60GB PS3 looks set to meet the same fate as its 20GB sibling did back in April. It is worth pointing out that Reeves doesn’t work for Sony Computer Entertainment America, though, so his statement may not reflect official SCEA policy. (Thanks to Shacknews for the tip.)

Update: SCEA spokesman Dave Karraker has told the folks at Joystiq that the $499 PS3 won’t be disappearing after all. “As announced this week, SCEA’s product offering in North America consists of a 80GB PS3 available in August at $599 and a 60GB PS3 available now for $499. We have will have ample supplies of both models to meet the needs of our consumers for the foreseeable future,” Karraker tells the site.

• lyc

$100 for 20gb of hard drive space?

i live in just about the most technologicaly backwards country there is (south africa), and even here that’s just ridiculous.

• zgirl

and I am still not running out to buy one period.

Last console I owned was a N64, only thing I would consider now is a Wii, simply cause it is different.

Not many games on a console I want to play if at all.

• lethal

And we are back to where we started, apparently the 60 gig is no longer in production and they are waiting to clear “old” stock to have a single SKU (at 599$), according to Kaz Harai.

§[< http://www.gamespot.com/news/6175011.html?<]§

• Bomber

To the update:

Didn’t they say the same thing about the 20gb inventory before they nixed it?

• Peffse

they also said there was not going to be a price cut. Who knows what going to happen.

• eitje

i believe them as far as i can throw them.

• Lord.Blue

If you read the article, it goes on to say that it is true…

• cynan

Also bad news for people waiting on a more reasonable MSRP for the Xbox 360 (potentially me).

If the $500 PS3’s disappear by the end of the month, Microsoft will lose the little incentive it had for any price cut in the near future in the interest of undercutting Sony.

Dang-nabbit!

• SPOOFE

What is it with the “If Entity A doesn’t do well, Entity B will have no incentive to mumble-mumble etc.” posts? Sure, both companies are vying with each other, but they’re also vying for consumer demand on their own. If Sony and the PS3 were to suddenly vanish tomorrow, that won’t make millions of consumers suddenly decide, out of the blue, that they really, really need an Xbox.

• Thebolt

I think it’s a matter of someone who doesn’t have a current generation console and is looking to buy one. If they were interested in the playstation 3 but the xbox 360 premium cost $200 less then they might just buy the xbox. Microsoft can kick sony while they’re down in the way.

• Spotpuff

So in other words there is no price drop because a PS3 will still cost $600?

Great.

• albundy

what a deal! $100 for 20GB more, probably not even SATA!

• Peffse

I still believe they would do so much better if they had the 20GB at $399 with no add-ons such as wireless, the current 60GB at $499, and the 80GB at $599 with bonuses…. Maybe even continue making the PS2 hardware supported ones at a higher price with reduced peripherals.

Of course, they would do much better right now if they had better games.

• lordT

Just when I was looking into getting one.

*sigh*

• Deathright

What I want to know is why hard drives cost so much money for consoles. Like a $100 for an Xbox hard drive and $100 for an increase of 20gigs in the PS3. WTF?

• Inkedsphynx

*@#$ you Sony.

I was going to consider your 499$ offering, but since you’re just taking a giant piss on my head doing this, I say #$%^ you and your damn PS3.

• Peffse

The $499 price isn’t changing. They just won’t make any more.

• Inkedsphynx

Exactly, they lower the price to 499$ for…. 3 weeks, if that. I don’t have 500$ sitting around to impulse splurge on a PS3, I tend to plan that in advance. Now they’re going back up to 599$ in essence, which I will not pay for a PS3.

• Peffse

heh, I guess this price drop was tailored to me then.
          I had $500 sitting around, because I was waiting for the price drop.

• wierdo

Maybe they think it’s a smart marketing move: Drop the price, plan to discontinue, and hope to watch them fly off the shelf for a change cause some suckers might think they’ll lose out if they don’t grab one now.

• Peffse

you *[

• CampinCarl

That’s a really stupid move.

• Fighthouse

BOOOOOOOOOOO
    give me an affordable sub-$400 PS3. The PS2 was never more than $300, why does this generation have to be twice as expensive?

B3C4US3 ITZ TW1C3 AS 4W3S0/\/\3!!!!!11

• Vrock

Um, because it costs alot to make?

• Fighthouse

oh….now i get it. thank you kind sir.

• Krogoth

Sony is bleeding money like an emo who failed at life.