New iMac unboxed, examined

As we reported yesterday, Apple has refreshed its iMac lineup with new, sleeker-looking models that boast a redesigned aluminum and glass enclosure and a super-thin keyboard. The guys at Engadget have now gotten their hands on one of the systems and have relayed their first impressions.

They say the system feels snappy, but that its display isn’t anything to write home about. “Despite its still very decent 380cd/m2, 750:1 CR display, contrast was still very low, and working with objects and icons white window space was even at times strenuous on our eyes,” Engadget explains. The site is also not a big fan of the new keyboard, whose keys lack ridges to help position one’s fingers. Nonetheless, Engadget believes the new iMac is “straight up the thinnest, sexiest Mac desktop machine Apple’s produced to date.”

• ssidbroadcast

I wanna try out that boarddd.

• NotParker

Black bezel thing on HUGE white square is UGLY!

The huge “Jay Leno chin” is not thin and not sexy.

• Decelerate

Wonder if Anand (or TR) will fully review it.

Currently what worries me is the screen and AMD/ATI graphic solutions. Only used S-IPS so far, so a TN kinda scares me. Only used Matte so glossy scares me.

Wonder how long till it hits the Best Buys/Future Shops here.

• adisor19

i have used the keyboard on my friend’s Macbook and find it better in terms of feeling and feedback compared to the one on my MacBook Pro. However i need the back light keyboard on my MBP.. it is unbelievably useful when war driving 🙂

Adi

• andurin

I’ve been using a Macbook for the past year, and, while the keyboard takes some getting used to, once you do it’s a breeze to type on, even by touch.

I also love the glossy display, and would rather use it for photo-editing than my 17″ CRT.

For my money, I’d grab a Macbook Pro and save up for one of the 24″ or 30″ Dell LCDs (and yeah, I boot into Windows on this Macbook when I need to).

• sjl

Looks nice, but I’m really not sure about the screen – glossy always struck me as a poor idea, and I’d like to at least have the choice of a matte display.

Oh, well; the Mac Pro may well end up being a better fit anyway for my needs (professional IT work with a bit of playing around with my DSLR on the side), assuming I buy a new system in the next twelve months (by no means certain). Here’s hoping for new Cinema displays that don’t have glossy finishes. Or I could always buy a Dell display … 😀

• d2brothe

So can this article not be paraphrased as such:

“The screen sucks, is hard to read (plus you can’t get a better one) and the keyboard sucks, and is hard to use (missing an obvious but key feature thats been part of keyboards for the better part of the century), but because its apple its awesome, we love it and everyone should buy one”

And iPeople wonder why everyone else doesn’t like them.

• blastdoor

Many reviews have a list of “pros” and “cons”. People who paraphrase using only one of those lists tend to invite hostility, or at least charges of having a biased perspective.

You sound like a person with an anti-apple bias.

And of course there are those with the opposite problem.

• Bauxite

Integrated monitors on a desktop is sooooo 1984.

• evermore

Given the size, it’s more like having a monitor and not having to bother with a computer case at all. Amazing what you can fit in half a cubic foot or less these days.

I like the keyboards’ look. I don’t really use the placement-ridges much, but then I use split keyboards so it’s kind of obvious where my fingers go. I don’t even remember how I type on a standard keyboard.

Chip some plastic off something with a similar color, a dot of superglue, and you’ve got a usable keyboard. 🙂

But, do these style keyboards have the feel of a notebook keyboard? Not much key travel, not much firmness, etc.? They look really awesome, I like the non-bevelled keys that slot perfectly into individual spaces, but if it just feels like I’m slapping my fingers around on on loosely mounted bits of plastic, I wouldn’t enjoy using it. I need feedback (people yell at me to stop hitting keys so hard).

Not that I’ll be owning one of these or anything, but I can look.

• ssidbroadcast

Yeah the iMac is doubleplus good.

• blastdoor

I was wondering if the keyboard would be disappointing. I tend to prefer the big, bada$$ keyboards from the 1980s. Keyboards today are too sissy.

• Ricardo Dawkins

y[

• Klopsik206

Lol! Good one 😉

• Makisupadave

hahaha, iengadget.com i notice is up for grabs/auction.. maybe Engadget could save some of its fans if they directed all their garbage there