New iPods coming tomorrow?

Apple is expected to take the wraps off a new range of iPods during a press conference on September 5, according to a report by DigiTimes. The site has learned from moles at Taiwanese contract manufacturers that the upcoming iPod refresh will include new iPod video, iPod nano, and iPod shuffle models.

If DigiTimes is to be believed, the next-gen iPod video will pack NAND flash memory and feature a wide-screen display, an iPhone-like user interface, and Wi-Fi networking capabilities. Apple will also make the move to an iPhone-style UI with the upcoming iPod nano, and that model will see its storage capacity increase, too. As for the iPod shuffle, DigiTimes says that model will only get a storage capacity boost. Production of upcoming iPod video models will reportedly be handled by Inventek, while Foxconn and Asustek will take care of the new iPod nano and iPod shuffle, respectively.

• krazyredboy

The only thing that would make me even consider getting an Ipod, would be if they added wma, ogg, and other formats, and managed to get rid of the DRM (aka 3 unit rule for songs). I know there are workarounds for the DRM, but I’d rather not have to worry about changing anything.

That, and I can’t stand using the Ipod programs. I’d much rather just be able to click and drag, using my desktop folders.

I’m a simple man, I know.

• rek

krazyredboy, you speak of workarounds for DRM, but the real soultion is to install a 3rd party ‘os’. Now I know it sounds far more complex than the clicking two buttons in the installer that it is. But the drag and drop capability’s that you speak of and thus the removal of all ipoddy programs is absolutely worth it.

• Smurfer2

Or you could just buy a Sandisk player, just has an issue with them being no bigger than 8GB and lack OGG, etc, support…

• axeman

Remember when U2 didn’t suck?

• tfp

not really it has been a while.

• Forge

Perhaps a FDD/HDD hybrid. Maybe laptop style, where the FDD is a mega-buffer, or maybe with FDD and HDD separate and managed by the iPod itself as an intelligent buffer.

That would give Apple the goals they seem to want; less HDD activity, so longer battery life and less chance of HDD damage, while also keeping storage space way up.

The more I ponder it, the more a hybrid seems likely instead of a true full FDD design. Solid state disk just doesn’t have the capacity/dollar the iPod needs.

On the gripping hand, Seagate was muttering about 3.5″ solid state disks next year, so maybe there’s been a development and Apple has kept it quiet. A ~100GB flash iPod would be very very sexy.

• sativa

who makes a 1.8″ HDD with a large flash buffer?

• Buub

HDD based MP3 players already do this. They only spin up the hard drive to load multiple songs in the buffer and then shut it back down. It’s been that way since the very beginning.

• wesley96

Floppy Disk Drive on an MP3 player? Crazy. 🙂

Yes, I know… but you should say the well-used term Solid State Drive (SSD) instead. Flash memory does not involve ‘disks’, so saying Flash Disk Drive doesn’t make sense anyway.

• PerfectCr

I have not bought one yet because of the lack of widescreen. I got a PSP instead. I might just jump on this if the price is right.

• Justice

I’m there with ya. I’ve got a PSP and a 30GB Video iPod. The iPod I got for free but rarely do I use it. I do use it mainly for music, and the PSP for videos. I wish the storage capacities were switched, I’d never turn the iPod on again!

• jimmylao

Maybe in the future NAND is the way to go?

• Hattig

It will be a big mistake if Apple switches to flash memory for the high end devices. There’s plenty of people out there that have large collections and would like an 80GB or 100GB iPod. Especially for the video functionality.

I can’t see a flash iPod going over 32GB.

It will be an easy choice between a 32GB iPod, however fancy the interface and software, and an 80GB Zune.

I can see a full size iPod with 16GB flash as a low-end high-battery very slim device, but alongside fatter HD based iPods.

• blastdoor

Well, I’m not interested in a Zune, but I agree that a high capacity HD video iPod is more appealing than a somewhat thinner flash iPod with vastly less storage.

• Thresher

Hattig, I totally agree. I bought an 80GB one for that reason. With 160GB drives available in the same form factor now, I can’t see a logical reason not to take advantage of them somehow. They’d still be cheaper than an FDD of 32GB or higher.

I don’t care about the mechanism, I care about the capacity and if they came out with 160GB version, I’d sell my current one and get a new one.

• eitje

well, if the article is to be believed, then the video ipod would have a greater capacity than before. so…

• eloj

But do they really need it “at their fingertips”. My D2 takes SDHC and I am happy to swap cards if I ever need too. With 32GB cards on the horizon, I could fit 100GB in my wallet, easy.

Well, easy except for the extraordinary cost initially, but that’ll fix itself with a bit of time..